Ask The Chemist

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
Hello to all my ECF Vapers out there! If you have questions, this is the place to post them.

My name is Joshua and I am the Chemist on staff at RTS Vapes. I have been working for RTS and vaping for going on 2 years now. I am not and never was a smoker, but I have a real passion for this industry and helping others in their quest for a better vaping experience. So, if you have a question please do not hesitate to ask it on here and I will do my best to get you the correct answer as soon as possible.

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
I have a question. What is better for a nicotine base? All pg, all vg, or 50/50 or any other combination. (in regards to long term storage)
In my experience, nicotine seems to hold up better in PG. I use PG nic even in my MAX VG liquid because it is such a small amount.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Since we are not getting too many questions, :( I gonna leave y'all with a tip for the day.

VG mixes with PG better if you add the VG into your PG, rather than the other way around.

Hope this helps someone out there! :thumbs:

Appreciate the tip!
How concerned should one be about nic hotspots in 100 mg/ml PG base?

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
Appreciate the tip!
How concerned should one be about nic hotspots in 100 mg/ml PG base?
With PG based nic, there should never be much of a concern if the batch is being mixed at all. :lol: Since PG and nicotine are very close in density, they mix together very easily. With RTS nicotine there is never a worry with PG or VG nic because I personally test a representative sample from every batch before any batch of nicotine can be bottled and sold.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Do you know what the names of the alkyloids are in natural tobacco plant. I would like to find herbs to replace these alkyloids as a healthy alternative and maybe a positive outcome of beneficial thought cocktail so to speak. Thank you, and when I figure out a way to replace these naturally I will post results and not produce my own tonic for market.

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
Do you know what the names of the alkyloids are in natural tobacco plant. I would like to find herbs to replace these alkyloids as a healthy alternative and maybe a positive outcome of beneficial thought cocktail so to speak. Thank you, and when I figure out a way to replace these naturally I will post results and not produce my own tonic for market.
The major ones that people analysis for are: Nicotine, Nicotine-N-Oxide, Nornicotine, Anabasine, Cotinine, Anatabine, B-Nicotyrine, Myosmine.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I've been using saline for inhalation in my max vg mixes instead of distilled water.
Someone pointed out that it's used as a medical treatment and could have side effects.
I understand that it's the preferred solution to carry most medications via IV because it's basically plasma.

My latest bloodwork (3 months ago) showed normal sodium level.
Can the chlorine in NaCl "build up" in our system or have other adverse effects?
I vape 20+ ml per day of 5-7% saline juice.
Can you think of any complications from vaping 1ml-1.4ml of saline/day?

Thanks

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
In my experience, nicotine seems to hold up better in PG. I use PG nic even in my MAX VG liquid because it is such a small amount.
I can tolerate up to about 10% PG.
I use PG nic in my 3mg/ml Max VG (PG-free flavoring) to get a mild antimicrobial benefit :thumb:
I use VG nic in my 10% (PG-based flavoring) so I can use that extra 3% as flavoring and stay within my PG-tolerance range.

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
I've been using saline for inhalation in my max vg mixes instead of distilled water.
Someone pointed out that it's used as a medical treatment and could have side effects.
I understand that it's the preferred solution to carry most medications via IV because it's basically plasma.

My latest bloodwork (3 months ago) showed normal sodium level.
Can the chlorine in NaCl "build up" in our system or have other adverse effects?
I vape 20+ ml per day of 5-7% saline juice.
Can you think of any complications from vaping 1ml-1.4ml of saline/day?

Thanks
Since I am not a doctor, I can't really speak to that.

How is the flavor on your PG free flavorings? I have not tried any of the VG based flavors.

Reactions: Woofer

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Since I am not a doctor, I can't really speak to that.
How is the flavor on your PG free flavorings? I have not tried any of the VG based flavors.
Not bad. They're VG/alcohol based so take a longer steep.
I use 6% flavoring in MAX VG with 3mg (pg nic) and 5% saline = 3%PG juice that flows like 60-70VG

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
Not exactly a chemistry question.. (or is it?) :?:

I buy in bulk and it's been a while since I've ordered flavorings. My favs (only flavors used) for the last few years have been the Chinese Type K original and the Type N menthol, but I see they aren't on the RTS site any more.

Were these dropped totally? If so, what might be substitutes if you can't tell me where else to get them. And, were they dropped due to lack of demand or some other reason?

The_Vapin_Chemist

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2016
Not exactly a chemistry question.. (or is it?) :?:

I buy in bulk and it's been a while since I've ordered flavorings. My favs (only flavors used) for the last few years have been the Chinese Type K original and the Type N menthol, but I see they aren't on the RTS site any more.

Were these dropped totally? If so, what might be substitutes if you can't tell me where else to get them. And, were they dropped due to lack of demand or some other reason?
Those flavors were not dropped because of demand. A few of those flavors sold really well. However, with the GHS regulations for SDS sheets we had to drop those flavors because they would not comply. :grr:

As for finding substitutes, Hangsen is definitely your best bet. They make the best tobacco flavors by far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread