Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
New and Improved usually isn't.
More often then not it seems more of a "smaller and thinner" type of improvements or they add shiny bits to it,at the end of the day it's still the same mods though *cough cough smok cough cough* :laugh:

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
v730101_4__1.jpg
Has to be better, has lasers!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
View attachment 688183 Has to be better, has lasers!

Could be a breakthrough. A mod that does't need an actual coil in the atty. It vaporizes the juice with lasers. Of course you're probably stuck with their tank only in the kit.

And when you're not vaping it charges itself with laser generated fusion power.;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think longevity varies from vendor to vendor. I don't find mods so much the problem (you can easily get an older mod for less money, once it's not the newest, shiniest thing.) Unless you are talking RTAs, though, getting a tank that will have a stable supply of atomizers matters. You don't want a tank where it will be next to impossible to get coils, some manufacturers do some retrofitting (like the Nautilus 2 from the Nautilus) and that can be a nice feature in a manufacturer. Not all tanks are like this, however....

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I was just looking for a vape mod. The one in particular is the iJoy Solo Plus 85w. I notice that it is sold out in a lot of places. And one site says it has been discontinued. I think it came out on 6/6/2016.

My question is, what gives? Do most e cig products hit the shelf's and then discontinue after 1 year?

As most have pointed out, shelf life of mods are fine. Few years at least. Some say 10 years or more, but I haven't been vaping 10 years to say.

The reason manufacturers discontinue a mod for the latest greatest model, is money plain and simple. They can't continue to make the previous model because they need the manufacturing space to make their newest model, and they are in a race to see how many models they can come up with in a year.

I shop clearance due to that and so does most people. You can get awesome mods for 20-30 bucks, and save some cash.

Just look for the reviews from owners of the mods, who use them all the time. You can find people here on this forum who own the mod your wanting to buy, to find out if it's worth your time or not.

I've made some lovely and happy 20 dollar purchases I don't regret in the least. I run around bragging about spending next to nothing! Personally, I find that a better way to shop for vape gear. Don't be the beta tester, let someone else do that and then save money when it hits the clearance rack!

:) yes. I'm an incorrigible tightwad.

Last edited:

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Basically there's a few companies that crank out mods/tanks more than the rest.
We all know who they are. There's the company with the 510 and overheating issues. There's the company with firmware upgradeable ports that release new mods instead of firmware. There's the company that claims tc and it fails miserably in every test. There's the company that releases a box which burns up/paint is crap/screen ups and dies. They've been at it for years and these companies keep flooding the market with garbage because people still slap down the cash. This community becomes the beta testers and r&d.

Here's the kicker, the further r&d lacks any development.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are also a few companies making quality products and not releasing changes every few months, but are known for reliability.... There are companies that use backwards capability options or tanks that make all sorts of different coils as well, and there are products that are known for reliability. You may pay more for those products, or not, but just as there are known offenders, there are known brands that do try hard to obtain and maintain their reputation for quality. :) It's just a matter of figuring it all out, and I'd guess that requires some significant research and probably, a poor buy or two along the way. I don't think it's fair to say that all brands are not doing reasonable quality advancements, some are.

IDK. I'd love it if I could guarantee a mod would last forever. I've had my Steampunk for just over 3 months, I think, it's a daily driver and I'm clumsy. But, that thing has been a tank so far. I do worry when I drop it, but so far?? It's all good. So, sometimes its also knowing your own limitations helps. I won't buy KT because I know they won't last (for me) while others have their mods or tanks for a long time, love them, and I guess treat them with the utmost care and gentleness, perhaps murmuring bedtime songs to them....

Yeah, that's not me. :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Basically there's a few companies that crank out mods/tanks more than the rest.
We all know who they are. There's the company with the 510 and overheating issues. There's the company with firmware upgradeable ports that release new mods instead of firmware. There's the company that claims tc and it fails miserably in every test. There's the company that releases a box which burns up/paint is crap/screen ups and dies. They've been at it for years and these companies keep flooding the market with garbage because people still slap down the cash. This community becomes the beta testers and r&d.

Here's the kicker, the further r&d lacks any development.

And there are a few companies who make stuff that have all those issues.

I'm trying to think of an analogy to mods in the marketplace, and coming up blank (granted no nap yet today).But really what other consumer electronic product, or others, where folks will spend $40-$70 knowing they will only be around for a few months and is likely to break within that time frame? Even spending a bit more money is no guarantee of longevity for a product.

And of course the "here today, gone tomorrow" for factory coils. What is it about vapers that they keep buying anyway?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
"Average shelf life" in terms of how frequently a new mod/tank is released: Seems to me consumers have sent a clear message to any electronics manufacturers the willingness to dole out the money for new model releases. Change the look a bit, add a bell or whistle, or up the power slightly and many are willing to jump to have the latest/greatest. For vape gear, adding regulation threatening an end date for releasing any new gear, and we are surprised?

"Average shelf life" in terms of how long a new mod/tank will last: Every single mod or tank I have purchased to date has lasted far longer then the cigarettes I would have purchased for the same cost. Personally, I'm good with that.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My shelf life on a pack of cigarettes was about 1/3 a day. To be fair. I do think there's a disposable arm of e-cigs (like drop in coils) and a more maintainable way of vaping, like RDAs RDTAs and RTAs, which is also a good thing. I like having the option of both, and I don't resent my Nautilus BVC coils in the slightest, they are far cheaper than a pack of cigarettes and last longer (once rinsed and reused) as well. When you factor in e-juice and DIY, it really does become inexpensive indeed, comparatively at least.

If taxation and regulation come in to play, I have a feeling some of those "disposable" mods may be taxed out of the market, and innovation may progress more slowly, hopefully with higher quality standards. IDK. I have less vape equipment than many, but I like to think what I have now will be useful to me for some time. That also doesn't mean I don't want the odd, shiny mod from time to time.... I do try to choose wisely and I have vape equipment that satisfies me that I'm pretty sure will last. I also (which is now annoying thanks to my tremor returning) have a lot of coilbuilding stuff, that I wish I could get a better handle on. It's like starting over, only with an unfortunate handicap. :( Oh well, if I don't get the hang of my returning tremor, the husband BETTER be in the bunker with me, LOL, and he can definitely coil and wick every RTA I have, even if I'd prefer to do it myself....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread