Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlee

Mar 21, 2014
WI, USA
I popped in here a few weeks ago for the first time in months. I was shocked to read about the vape shipping ban that is quickly approaching. And I am in panic mode! I’ve just been happily vaping away for 8 years now and was totally oblivious to all this. (I am already stocked up on nicotine and have a lot of learning to do there with mixing my own juice. But that will be future posts) For this post my question is about stocking the batteries I currently use and the shelf life I should expect.

I have used Halo Triton with clearomizers for most of my years vaping (after moving up from G6) and loved them! When I found out they were no longer being produced, and the stock I had on hand ran out, I switched to Kanger eVod Twist VV and am pretty happy with those.

3 years ago I also had to find something similar to my Tritons, but only in auto battery because I was having surgery on both my thumbs and would be unable to use them to press a button on a manual battery. So I came upon the V4L auto Zeus with smilomizers. And I love those also, and continue to use those along with the Kanger eVod.

I know I’m old school, but I would like to use these 2 setups as long as I can before switching to and learning how to use external battery mods. (I am going to purchase and stock up on those within a week or two but that will be another post too! will need help! :w00t:)

SO my question is…..how long of a shelf life would be expected out of a new Kanger eVod twist and new V4L Zeus batteries? I realize I really have no idea when they were actually manufactured, but if they were with in the last say 8-12 months or so, what kind of shelf life would they still have left? I would like to stock up on some to go a little longer before changing over to mods!

THANKS!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

SO my question is…..how long of a shelf life would be expected out of a new Kanger eVod twist and new V4L Zeus batteries? I realize I really have no idea when they were actually manufactured, but if they were with in the last say 8-12 months or so, what kind of shelf life would they still have left? I would like to stock up on some to go a little longer before changing over to mods!

THANKS!

It's kinda Hard to say. But 3 ~ 6 Years is what comes up when people talk about Li-Ion Battery Shelf Life.

If I was you, I would start looking Now for a Mod that you like that takes a replaceable 18650 Batteries. Because 18650 Batteries will be obtainable in the Future. And an 18650 Mod that is sitting in a box without a Battery in it should last nearly indefinitely.

And in 3 Months or so, getting Mods thru the Mail is going to get a Lot Harder.

BTW - Here is a Long (but Informative) Article about prolonging the Lifespan of Li-Ion Batteries.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I know I’m old school, but I would like to use these 2 setups as long as I can before switching to and learning how to use external battery mods.

If you don't have to have the Twist VV ones...these Kanger Evod USB Passthrough batteries are decent and are frequently re-stocked from the manufacturer. Their quantity discount lowers the price, too. In the last month I've bought quite a few for a couple friends, and they like them a lot.

Kanger eVod 1000mAh USB eGo Battery

You'll see that EcigMafia does also carry the various KangerTech Twist batteries, but IMO they are overpriced there and elsewhere. The USB ones (even though they aren't Twist VV), made more sense to buy, to me anyway.

I've personally been very surprised that new, authentic, KangerTech and JoyeTech stick batteries I bought in 2015-2016 and put away...still take and hold a charge. However, my "stash" for longterm use (the next 15-20 years) doesn't include those. I've got a bunch of mods and mod/tank kits with internal batteries (6-7 of those are in rotation now). But by far, the largest part of my mod stash...are those that take external batteries. The internal battery mods are being used first while they're still fine.

There are some very good deals on both types of mods and kits right now online. Coupon codes are available for nice discounts, too.

BTW: The Eleaf iStick mods (with internal battery) just don't seem to want to die. I have 3 in daily rotation that have been going strong for almost 4 years now and another 1 I just pulled from my stash and started using about 2 months ago. The Innokin CoolFire series of internal battery mods are also lasting several years or longer for me.

My stash of external battery mods...includes mostly Geek Vape Aegis Solo and Geek Vape Aegis Max mods and/or kits. Asmodus Colossal mods, a bunch of new ProVaris, Jac Vapour 75W DNA mods, and multiples of several different Vaporesso mods make up the next largest part of the mod stash. There are lots of others I'm sure more people will recommend, too.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I’m concerned about getting mods with internal batteries but not so much about mods with replaceable batteries. What’s your take?

With regards to Ultimate Lifespan... On Average, a Built-In Battery Mod is going to have a Limited Lifespan compared to a Mod with a Replaceable Battery.

And Built-In Battery Mods are going to need to be taken out and Used/Recharged to 60% or so before being put back in storage. Whereas a 18650 Mod can basically just be put in the back of a Closet and pulled out Whenever it is Needed.

So will a Built-in Battery Mod's Battery Fail before it Buttons do? Or before the Board kacks? Can't Really say.

But for an Ultimate Backup, a 18650 Mod is a Much Better Choice.

With regards to Regulations... puffon Nailed it.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Of course, an unprotected, fully mechanical mod will be the ultimate of the ultimate in terms of ultimate backups. Supposedly these OLED screens degrade over time even without use due to their organic nature. The mod will still be usable, but you won't be able to truly know what your settings are lol. I stocked up on a few old style tube mechs, but I wish I had found some affordable parallel box mechs. However, I'm confident I can make one if it comes to that, with some guidance.

Reactions: MLEJ

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Of course, an unprotected, fully mechanical mod will be the ultimate of the ultimate in terms of ultimate backups. Supposedly these OLED screens degrade over time even without use due to their organic nature. The mod will still be usable, but you won't be able to truly know what your settings are lol. I stocked up on a few old style tube mechs, but I wish I had found some affordable parallel box mechs. However, I'm confident I can make one if it comes to that, with some guidance.

Not sure what is up with OLED Displays?

Because I have seen some Articles that talk about "Degradation". But that is from the Perspective of a Top-of-the-Line Wall Sized TV.

Where Small Performance drops in Brightness/Contrast/Colour Saturations may be tragic. I wonder how Terrible they would be for a .9" Mod Screen?

Also... How Many Mods come with OLED Displays? Verses plain Jane LED displays?

• Useful
    Reactions: Letitia

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also... How Many Mods come with OLED Displays? Verses plain Jane LED displays?

I could be wrong, but I thought most Chinese mods made from around 2017 on use OLED displays.

Here's a rather high res pic of 2 Pico mods. The top one is about 4 years in use and the bottom one is about 10 days in use. Both have arctic fox with screen brightness set the same. About half the pixels on the top one have gone really dim while all of them seem to be dim to varrying degrees. But none are completely dead that I can see.

I have no idea if these are OLED or regular LED. Also I have no idea what caused the dimming but it may be from use, not time (or a little of both?). I have opened the mod up a couple times and see nothing like juice on the board or anything. Been dim like this for about a year.

nx2DzRW.jpg

• Informative

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I could be wrong, but I thought most Chinese mods made from around 2017 on use OLED displays.

Here's a rather high res pic of 2 Pico mods. The top one is about 4 years in use and the bottom one is about 10 days in use. Both have arctic fox with screen brightness set the same. About half the pixels on the top one have gone really dim while all of them seem to be dim to varrying degrees. But none are completely dead that I can see.

I have no idea if these are OLED or regular LED. Also I have no idea what caused the dimming but it may be from use, not time (or a little of both?). I have opened the mod up a couple times and see nothing like juice on the board or anything. Been dim like this for about a year.

nx2DzRW.jpg

It's just Hard to Say what is going on?

Could be that OLED Mod screens Dim over time? Or that the Quality of these Screens aren't exactly 4K Hi-Def to start with? Or even what Mods have OLED's verses LED's?

All I know is when the Battery Dies in a Built-In Battery Mod for the Average person, the Mod is Done. And even for those who know how to use a Soldering Iron, there is a High Chance that the Board's Button Button Actuators will be Damaged when trying to replace the Battery.

So for a Long Term Back-Up Plan, I would include some 18650 Mods.

Reactions: dlee

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    All I know is when the Battery Dies in a Built-In Battery Mod for the Average person, the Mod is Done. And even for those who know how to use a Soldering Iron, there is a High Chance that the Board's Button Button Actuators will be Damaged when trying to replace the Battery.

So for a Long Term Back-Up Plan, I would include some 18650 Mods.

Oh, for sure. Integrated battery mods have the same weak points of removable batt mods plus the added weak point of the integrated battery going bad rendering the mod useless. Removable mods are the better choice for longer term without question since it removes the battery problem (of course, then you have the added weak point being the battery door/cap lol. You just have to be careful!) All in all, though, removable batt mods are the way to go for apocalypse.

dlee

Mar 21, 2014
    WI, USA
    If you don't have to have the Twist VV ones...these Kanger Evod USB Passthrough batteries are decent and are frequently re-stocked from the manufacturer. Their quantity discount lowers the price, too. In the last month I've bought quite a few for a couple friends, and they like them a lot.

This is good to hear since I did order a couple of these passthroughs on my second order! (coming tomorrow) I also ordered a few more clearomizers and atomizer heads. All from ecigmafia too! :thumbs:

Thanks for all the info!

Reactions: JCinFLA

dlee

Mar 21, 2014
    WI, USA
    With regards to Ultimate Lifespan... On Average, a Built-In Battery Mod is going to have a Limited Lifespan compared to a Mod with a Replaceable Battery.

And Built-In Battery Mods are going to need to be taken out and Used/Recharged to 60% or so before being put back in storage. Whereas a 18650 Mod can basically just be put in the back of a Closet and pulled out Whenever it is Needed.

So will a Built-in Battery Mod's Battery Fail before it Buttons do? Or before the Board kacks? Can't Really say.

With regards to Regulations... puffon Nailed it.

Yea, I am only going to stock up on the built ins for the short term. I realize I am going to have to move on to replaceable battery mods and that I need to get busy ordering those pretty dang soon!

Thank you for the info!!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yea, I am only going to stock up on the built ins for the short term. I realize I am going to have to move on to replaceable battery mods and that I need to get busy ordering those pretty dang soon!

Thank you for the info!!

I hear you. My 2nd Favorite Mod is this Bad Boy...

9717277-13.jpg

It's a Teslacig T40W paired with a GEAR RTA.

It will be a Very Sad Day when the ones I have go to the Great Vape Store in the Sky. But I'm going to Enjoy mine while I'm Out n' About until they do.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Thank you for the info!!

Here's he way I look at it. As things stand now, you don't have to hurry that much because you'll still be able to buy mods in a local vape shop. The problem with that is...
    • you'll pay out the nose
    • the selection will be limited
    • and because of #2 above you might not be able to find a small one. I bring that up because for someone who uses ego batteries I would suspect you'd want a rather small box mod.
    • I haven't been in a vape shop in years, for all I know they mainly sell pod system and not many box mods, making selection even more limited.
    If you do look for box mods in the next few weeks before the vape mail is supposed to happen, I suggest you look into the following if you can find them...
    1. Eleaf istick Pico 75W
    2. Eleaf Istick Pico 25 85W (slightly bigger version of the above)
    3. Vaporesso Swag
    4. Vaporesso Swag II (slightly bigger version of the above)
    Those are the smallest 18650 box mods I know of. The last one will be the easiest one to find at a reasonable price in the USA, I think. In fact, Eightvape has the Swag II kit on sale for $23.61 (if discount isn't automatically given at checkout, try coupon code REBIRTH21) + shipping and taxes. That sale is good for the rest of the month. Yes, it comes with a tank you won't probably use, but whatever. Colors are limited at this point because that sale's been going on all month. Maybe others can help you find better prices/selection elsewhere in the USA.

You can use any of the clearomizers you use on your ego batteries on these mods. Just gotta keep the wattage down. And of you're using Evod clearos or any other clearos that only have an ego threading but not 510 threading, you will need 510-to-Ego adapters (China). I'm sure there are some places in the USA that still have some of those adapters, but they will be more expensive.

You could look into a pod mod system if you want a small setup that takes 18650 batts, but can't find a box mod. But the down side is that you won't be able to use any of your 510 or Ego tanks on 99% of them (they use their own proprietary tanks which means then you have to stock up on pod tanks and the coils for them).

Last edited:
    • Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread