Bored? Help me decide: Bottomfeeder or Tube Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naga77777

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2011
NC, USA
Ok, I can say with almost certainty this has been asked before. However, I can say with absolute certainty that all my ECF searching today has not yielded the results I desire to make an informed decision.

I've already determined that I want to get a mod. (will be an Xmas present or something; can't just drop that much dough without a special occasion)

Now, I'm looking specifically between a bottomfeeder versus a tube mod.

I'd just like to know what the advantages are to both?

In my own head, I'd think the tube mod would be easier to change flavors. Unscrew atty/carto, screw on new one, vape new flavor with no residual taste.

I keep thinking if I change bottles with a bottomfeeder, I'd get a residual taste from the first nicquid, until the atty "cleaned out" and I could only taste the second nicquid.

Moreover, what if I vape something strong like Menthol on a bottomfeeder, then follow it with cappuccino? Wouldn't the residual menthol taste linger around for a while? (mint coffee, ewww)

I have an eGo atty sitting in the drawer right now because I can't even get the Menthol out of it with an Alcohol bath.

I'm really leaning towards a tube mod, because when I want to change flavors, I don't want any residual aftertaste in my atty/carto. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Im also thinking that if i want to stick with a juice for a while, I can just put a tank onto the tube mod, and have a couple mL's at my disposal-- just like a bottomfeeder.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I suggest a variable voltage mod unless you really like low resistance. VV's have a huge advantage over fixed voltage devices because you can fine tune your juice in. No need to use LR's with a VV...standard resistance works the best.

If you want to stick with something that can do 3.7, 4.8, 6, or 7.4V's, I recommend a silver bullet. However, much about 6V tastes terrible to me. I run 4.8V batteries in my SB's and love it.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yup, VV, cartos and a Tank... wah lah. I've used one on my Darwin and Buzz.

There is something really nice about a bottom feed mod with cartos... regular attys not so much. Don't know why I can't get that to work with attys. Flavor just sucks for me with an atomizer.

A bottom fed VV tube mod should be out soon I hear. I'm waiting for that next I think! (The Core)

Usually the next best thing appears about the time you already invest $$$ in something else. :blink:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I use a bottom feeder with an atomizer. I know a lot of people use them with cartos but, I've never seen the point. It just isn't that hard to pull the drip tip and drip on them now and then.

I also use a VV with a madvapes DOD at home. The DOD is for convenient dripping. That's just too big and cumbersome for out and about though.

So, I guess I can speak to both sides of what you're asking.

If you don't mind the carto filler and it sounds like you don't, the tank on a carto is really more convenient than a bottom feeder. So, that's what I'd recommend.

joc3721

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Colorado
I have a tube mod (provari). It's great, but capacity is a problem for me. I have two tanks but I can't make them work well. They leak, are a pain to fill and I don't find the carto performance consistent. Draw resistance and flavor change after refilling, also juice-in-mouth problems. So far, standard resistance cartos work best for me. My beef is the capacity (constantly refilling). I'm trying mega cartos now (resurrector) and getting pretty good results. No luck so far with mega CE2's. I have a bottom feeder on order as a back-up PV. I like the simplicity of the design and the big juice capacity. We'll see.

naga77777

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2011
NC, USA
Or you could get a GLV-3 from Great Lakes Vapor; one PV that functions as a tube mod, a top-feeder, and bottom-feeder.

Here's mine, configured for bottom-feed:

That looks pretty awesome. So what's the "internal mechanism" used to bottom-feed?

Also, I was grinning ear-to-ear when looking at this thing, until i saw no VV available. :( I don't know what voltage I would need, and really wanted VV so I could experiment.

If I'm using an eGo now (i think it's 3.7 volts), should I just order 3.7 and use different resistance atties/cartos to achieve warmer/cooler vapes?

I know LR stuff isn't generally recommended on eGo batteries, and was under the impression that mods could handle all the LR stuff no problem.

I wouldn't want to order 5v or 6v and it's constantly too hot. But then again, I wouldn't want to order 3.6v and wish I'd have gone higher :( Any advice on that?

I also looked at the Lava Tube, and that looks pretty cool. I'd love to try it out as well. (maybe I could swing that if it turns out to be less than 100 bucks)

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
Naga the problem is that there is no top notch VV mod that is also a top notch bottom feeder. I'll probably end up building one for myself before someone else does. However, after reading your posts I'm sensing that you are curious about bottom feeding but, you want VV. You should be looking at the provari, the darwin or the buzz pro. Or perhaps the VV sabre touch.

naga77777

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2011
NC, USA
Yeah, I think my true desires are more apparent to others than myself (this happens a lot, lol)

I'd say the VV thing would be higher up on the "priority list" than the bottomfeeding ability. Thanx for the suggestions :)

Maybe once i experiment with VV and determine which voltage/resistance combo I like, I can spring for a bottomfeeder in the correct voltage.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
That looks pretty awesome. So what's the "internal mechanism" used to bottom-feed?

Also, I was grinning ear-to-ear when looking at this thing, until i saw no VV available. :( I don't know what voltage I would need, and really wanted VV so I could experiment.

If I'm using an eGo now (i think it's 3.7 volts), should I just order 3.7 and use different resistance atties/cartos to achieve warmer/cooler vapes?

I know LR stuff isn't generally recommended on eGo batteries, and was under the impression that mods could handle all the LR stuff no problem.

I wouldn't want to order 5v or 6v and it's constantly too hot. But then again, I wouldn't want to order 3.6v and wish I'd have gone higher :( Any advice on that?

I also looked at the Lava Tube, and that looks pretty cool. I'd love to try it out as well. (maybe I could swing that if it turns out to be less than 100 bucks)

A 6ml bottle is inverted and connected to some tubing that "u-turns" inside the sidecar/feeder housing and connects to a vertical needle protruding from the center of the groove where the GLV-2 (tube mod portion) attaches to the sidecar. You squeeze the inverted bottle from both sides and feed the juice up into the atty or cart.

If you want top feed you you remove the needle, plug the head-cap (plug included) and run the tubing through the top of the sidecar and connect it to the feeder-tip. There's a chrome (or chromish) cap covering the bottom of the inverted bottle that pops off so you can slide the bottle up to refill and replace.

A 5v GLV is unlike other 5 & 6v PV in that it sort of automatically regulates itself to deliver a consistent 10w - 11.5w of power regardless of the atty/carto resistance.

Here's an excellent post where Russ (6pointprine) explains it.

You can use virtually any atomizer you want on a GLV2 with the 5v endcap - including 1.5 ohm atomizers including the Cisco variety.

Believe it or not the GLV2 varies the voltage output - automatically.

Just in case you missed my show last night you can catch the replay by clicking the link below. Here's the deal: the GLV2 can use ANY atomizer without any modifications. I have tested the following atomizers:

1.5 ohm Cisco 510 and 306
2.0 ohm Cisco 510
2.7 ohm Boge/Liquid Xpress carto
3.3 ohm V4L coolcart
1.5 ohm 801 (non-Cisco)
1.8 ohm 901 (non-Cisco)

All of these atomizers on the GLV2 clock in between 10 and 11.5 watts. The GLV2 will adjust - without any changes or settings by the user - to produce a good voltage for the atomizer being used.

I uploaded a youtube video that shows how I tested several atomizers under load with the GLV2. The data is included in the description on the youtube video.

YouTube - GLV2 atomizer testing under load
-Russ

A 3.7v GLV with LR cartos/attiles performs similar to the 5v in vapor production, warmth, and flavor.

I went from an eGo to a 3.7v GLV Mini and used it for quite awhile before deciding I liked the higher output and moved up to 5v. I still use the Mini with LR cartos almost daily.

I really, really tried to like VV but I couldn't, it was just "meh". I won't say what VVs I found disappointing but I will say it wasn't a Darwin. Haven't tried it but one of these days I intend to.

Based on your comments, if you're gong to try a GLV I suggest you start with a 3.7. Keep your eye on the Classifieds and Swaps forum. GLVs pop up for sale now and again. They don't last long but you could pick one up.

Regardless of what others prefer, it's really a process of you finding what works best for you.

Good luck!

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND
There's soooo many options when you go mod shopping. There really isn't an "all in one" mod. You can have VV, or a good feeding system, or a small inexpensive mod, but you can't find it all in one. I'm pretty new to this and went with a VV device my first time around. It's nice to be able to just dial around whatever juice/cartomizer combo I decide to throw on. If it doesn't taste right, I can easily adjust. It's cheaper to try different juices and cartomizers when my device lets me adjust from 3.2V to over 5v. There are a ton of "feeder substitutes" aka tanks, high capacity cartomizers, etc, that will give you the no-fuss juice storage without boxing yourself into a fixed voltage juice feeder mod.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake

naga77777

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2011
NC, USA
That looks pretty awesome! You can use it with cartos (as in use it without the bottomfeeder hooked up) just like a regular box mod, right?

Just in case I can't get the hang of "squonking" the bottle, I'd like to be able to use it with cartos/tanks/atties etc.

That does look really cool, and I'm leaning towards this thing. Heck, for the price of the probation, I could get this thing and a cheap tube mod :)

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
That looks pretty awesome! You can use it with cartos (as in use it without the bottomfeeder hooked up) just like a regular box mod, right?

Just in case I can't get the hang of "squonking" the bottle, I'd like to be able to use it with cartos/tanks/atties etc.

That does look really cool, and I'm leaning towards this thing. Heck, for the price of the probation, I could get this thing and a cheap tube mod :)

Yeah it works with everything. I use a rebuild-able dripping atty on it, a carto tank, 306/510/901 atties you name it. I love it. Very well built, I can honestly say this is built as well if not better then most commercial mods. I have a review on the thread I believe about it. I recommend it highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread