Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
It is offensive to my eye from every angle regardless of price, if i was to recommend a new to bottom feeding vapor a product it would not be this however little money they say they had, if you could afford to smoke you can afford to buy something with a little more integrity, in my experience with clone mods you either have to spend a half day modding them or they just get left on the shelf when they fail to perform, so you normally end up buying twice anyway. anyway does anyone have anything custom made or modified to discuss? :)

Bottom Feeding isn't for everyone.What if you spend 200 on a Reo and find you don't like It?
You buy this POS for 22 bucks you don't like it no big loss

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Bottom Feeding isn't for everyone.What if you spend 200 on a Reo and find you don't like It?
You buy this POS for 22 bucks you don't like it no big loss

...there is that...tough to argue with that logic.

I just thought that as this is pretty much a modding thread, by the time you put the effort into getting that thing up to a reasonable performance, spend half that and build a decent Hammond in the same amount of time.

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
...there is that...tough to argue with that logic.

I just thought that as this is pretty much a modding thread, by the time you put the effort into getting that thing up to a reasonable performance, spend half that and build a decent Hammond in the same amount of time.
Cause everyone and their brother has built a Hammond squonker. What's the fun in that[emoji1] We mod because we want to try new things. Heck I might even try to put a DNA in the El cheapo mod.

Reactions: AllPepperS

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Roscoe a little grumpy today?

...Steamer wrote

"Bottom Feeding isn't for everyone.What if you spend 200 on a Reo and find you don't like It?
You buy this POS for 22 bucks you don't like it no big loss"

Probably safe to assume if someone is new to bf'ing they haven't built a Hammond squonker (though I can't speak for his brother)

...and now we've made Steamer sad...I hope you're all proud of yourselves;)

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
Roscoe a little grumpy today?

...Steamer wrote

"Bottom Feeding isn't for everyone.What if you spend 200 on a Reo and find you don't like It?
You buy this POS for 22 bucks you don't like it no big loss"

Probably safe to assume if someone is new to bf'ing they haven't built a Hammond squonker (though I can't speak for his brother)

...and now we've made Steamer sad...I hope you're all proud of yourselves;)

Sorry I must be...... cause I didn't mean for it to come off that way and certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I just hate that people judge things before anyone has even had a chance to try the product. I will crawl back into my hole and keep my trap shut until I have something useful to share.[emoji189]

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I not Sad Quigs it's all good:) Just seems like everyones a Vape Snob
If it not some super cool custom piece it's not good enough for them
I bet any of you that I could buy that 22 dollar POS and make it vape just as good as my 200 dollar Reo
any takers?

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I not Sad Quigs it's all good:) Just seems like everyones a Vape Snob
If it not some super cool custom piece it's not good enough for them
I bet any of you that I could buy that 22 dollar POS and make it vape just as good as my 200 dollar Reo
any takers?

...the real talent lies in whether you can make a $200 Reo vape like that POS...I for one could totally rock that.

I'm on a biorhythmic triple low this weekend regarding mods...lost one of my woodies weed wacking the back 40 on Sat. (also gave myself mild heatstroke in the process)

Cracked the top wood on one of my Dibi clones on Sat. night (dropped it because drinkin' and heatstroke don't mix)

...and, split a bottle (9ml Vapage bottle???) in my Resin DNA...the screen compartment was filled with juice...I've taken it apart and cleaned it...only time will tell if it migrated up into the board...

I'm on board with Roscoe's grumpyness.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Ok guys lets take a breather, no need for anyone to get upset here. I personally didn't mean to shoot down that China Squonker and I fully appreciate that it's probably a good deal if someone on a budget wants to try squonking. If we do criticize it it's not because we're snobs but because we have the experience to know that $22 China mods have a tendency not to perform nor last the end of the week in most cases.

Since we're in the modding forum and it's all about what we can make and not what we can buy so let's give fellow vapers ideas to make their own mods. We've already shown how people can convert their drippers for squonking and to make a simple box mod squonker is a relatively inexpensive exercise. You don't need milling machines, nor table saws and other fancy tools. All you need is determination, imagination and some good old fashioned elbow grease.

Perhaps you remember Ian444's picture of that great little simple squonker he made. Something like that will cost you probably less than $22 and you'll get the satisfaction that you made it yourself as opposed to some unknown China factory in Shenzhen.

There's talent in everyone, it just need to be stimulated to flurish

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Bad weekend for some very nice mods at Quigs! Do you have a metal detector?

My wife is really into metal detecting and she has helped people find some lost items in some pretty crazy places.

My neighbour has a metal detector I can borrow next weekend but I'm fairly confident I'll find it (the back yard is only 60'x100' so "back 40" may have been an exaggeration, it just seemed big :D), my plan is to let the weeds and nettle I hacked down dry this week then rake it...hopefully it doesn't rain too much this week.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Custom made by several talented members here:

QXukFGi.jpg

Top & bottom plate are Shapeways "3D Printed" (actually investment cast) brass.
Wood shell by pdib.
Atty by pdib.
Button and DT by a D_J

The brass will need another pass of polish before it looks good in a picture in direct sunlight, but the funny thing is, it looks fine in person.
Peter has an uncanny ability to cut a piece of wood in such a way to elevate it and beautify it. How the heck he does that I have no idea. That mod is beautiful Ross congrats buddy

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Funnily enough Quigs I share your bout of bad luck too this past week. I've had serious lower back pain all week. Seems it's a slipped disk and I just hope I don't have to go in for modding :cry:

I've had that mod done twice now (I have no discs left in my neck, I'm a cyborg)...not fun Cappy, crossed fingers things get better for you.

Reactions: CaptSteve

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
Not looking good on the rain side of things. You will find it.

To elaborate on the stimulation comment I made. I have the tools and I have been building boxes from cedar as practice, I just cannot get it right. I need to be a lot less critical of my work and just keep after it. I have let the build idea rest for about a month (or three?) now and am ready to get after it again........I think. I have a bunch of nice little cedar boxes though!

Reactions: CaptSteve

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
wow quigs that sucks.

far as that cheap BF I can't say anything about it but I'd love to see one to see if it has any potential. it might, I built a BF'er from a cheap billetbox clone, the BB clone was junk but it did make a great enclosure for a dna squonker and nothing remains from the clone except the raw aluminum box itself...

and now after seeing all these cheapo commercial china jobs, heres a dose of custom for the thread :)

I finished the ebony woodie I've been working on for a friend forever, I also winded up pouring an acrylic lens for the chip display but man this acrylic really takes a long time to harden. the package did say that thinner pours will take longer to cure and they said 72 hours till hard at a 1" pour and the thinner the longer to set up.. this one is going on it's 5th day and the acrylic is still a bit tacky to the touch but it's only like 1/8" thick so I have no idea how long till it's really hard :( it does seem to be getting less tacky each day though. heres a few final shots. I can honestly say that this one turned out to be my finest woodvil conversion so far, love the ebony and brass combo on this one :)

20150510_215849_zpsm4ujuzc4.jpg

20150510_215830_zpsk0cefmpg.jpg

20150510_215735_zpsqtoh8r3c.jpg

20150510_215721_zpsswdxxtcq.jpg

20150511_023852_zpss1e8otep.jpg

20150511_023823_zpscwj74bs1.jpg

20150511_023437_zpsunmuz1ae.jpg

20150511_023359_zpsmpxxnkqj.jpg

20150511_023338_zpswwwluvxr.jpg

20150511_023307_zpsbdypsn7f.jpg

20150510_215927_zpsbyyj3xup.jpg

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Not looking good on the rain side of things. You will find it.

To elaborate on the stimulation comment I made. I have the tools and I have been building boxes from cedar as practice, I just cannot get it right. I need to be a lot less critical of my work and just keep after it. I have let the build idea rest for about a month (or three?) now and am ready to get after it again........I think. I have a bunch of nice little cedar boxes though!

We always tend to be our own harshest critics for sure. That's normal and it's frankly the driving force towards improvement. The thing is that a lot of the mods you see here from us are the results of years of experience. In my case I've only been making mods for about 6-8 months but I've been an avid woodworker for over 25 years.
The way I recommend you look at this is like a hobby, like anything new you try it won't be perfect from the start but it's all about the journey and the learning process. If you stick with it you'll see results, be assured of that.

Reactions: 2buildawall

Davantrac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Darlington, UK.
I've got to say I've order the cheap squonker and I'll give my reasons.
1. Out of work at the mo so money tight.
2. Never tried squonking so want to give it a try.
3. If I don't like squonking I can stick an rta on it and use it as a mech, what can go wrong.
4. £15 for an enclosure, fire button,battery sled and a 510 connector that's a cheap bunch of parts I've bought for when I start trying to DIY a mod.
It's a fun and cheap way to start any hobby, like any other. Would you go to the golf shop and spend thousands on a set of clubs without ever hitting ball in your life.
Let's keep it happy and helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread