Brass positive post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Having seen brass center posts for my DID's on MMV's site, I asked Miriam if they were any better, and she said yes, they do conduct current a little better. Okay, I ordered two of them, and this morning installed them in my DID's. I threw on 26 kanthal coils and saw immediate improvement. The 6/5 wrap that usually got me .72 - .74 suddenly got me .69 and .71, and a noticeable improvement in vapor production. I'm happy.

I'm planning to order a third DID soon, with brass positive post. I really really like the DID.

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Thanks for posting this!

I just got a DID... it was PIF'd to me with a GGTS I bought from a fiend... and I really really love it as well. Like, moreso than I thought I would given its age.

Where did you purchase a brass center post for it? How much did it cost?

Also, those are some really nicely wrapped coils! I use a 3 / 4 wrap of 28g in mine but I think i'm going to give your build a shot tonight. what kind of wick are you using? I have 3/32 SS cable with 2 ½-3 rotations of 325 mesh around it in mine and it wicks fairly impressively.

Reactions: Annie56

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks for posting this!

I just got a DID... it was PIF'd to me with a GGTS I bought from a fiend... and I really really love it as well. Like, moreso than I thought I would given its age.

Where did you purchase a brass center post for it? How much did it cost?

Also, those are some really nicely wrapped coils! I use a 3 / 4 wrap of 28g in mine but I think i'm going to give your build a shot tonight. what kind of wick are you using? I have 3/32 SS cable with 2 ½-3 rotations of 325 mesh around it in mine and it wicks fairly impressively.

Hey Vaya, glad to hear you got one, and are liking it. Yes it's the granddaddy of gennies, but it works just dandy for me, and I honestly don't think it's been improved on despite all the reinventions of the wheel I've seen. I got the brass center posts from MMV:

Brass Contacts for Standard DID • MMVapors

As for my builds I use 26 kanthal over 400 mesh rolled into a solid wick, coiled with a 6/5 wrap, which gets me .7 ohm, and I use the Petar K method with a drill bit to wrap the coil on and install it on the DID, then slip the wick into it, and work out the coil loops with a dental pick until the coil glows uniformly. This has been working well for me for a couple years now.

Reactions: Izan

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
The brass post came with the first couple of batches of Dids without the logo. Once the ss post was made most users swapped out the post for the ss. I dont know if they carry brass post on mmv anymore but your best bet would be to contact jim at mmv or post on wanted thread. Im sure someone has one laying around....

Reactions: Annie56

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
The brass post came with the first couple of batches of Dids without the logo. Once the ss post was made most users swapped out the post for the ss. I dont know if they carry brass post on mmv anymore but your best bet would be to contact jim at mmv or post on wanted thread. Im sure someone has one laying around....

Yes they do have it, as I said above, and provided the link to it.

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Ok, i rigged up one of my DiDs. I have the brass pins, but i'm not using. They are softer metal, and dont hold up as well to my pliers, but they do indeed make for better conductivity.
~1.2Ω, 5/4 28g coil wrapped very tightly around the jankiest 200 mesh wick that i have ever pounded together.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread