Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...
I'm using this and having success with it. No cleaning poly, burnt taste, straws, paper clips, etc., just plug & play. It favors the VG mix but PG seems to work too (maybe not as good as the VG though). It has only been tried (by me) on a 510 because thats all I use.

These are three 1/2 brass pipe screens shown below.
View attachment 4413 View attachment 4414 View attachment 4415 View attachment 4416 View attachment 4417

Respects
Well I have read your post and looked at the pictures and I have not a clue what it is. Nice mod nonetheless!!

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
MoonFlame - Yes, the cone is pointed towards the atty. Originally I had the screen shaped similar to the way the poly appears once it has been seated. But that shape seemed to flood the atty more.

piomode - Yes, they are the 1/2 inch diameter (my guess would be 80 mesh), the package only states they are a "medium". Ragman has found some that are finer and I'm going to order a couple of swatches for myself. (that was an excellent find!)

kinabaloo - Yeah, essentially it's just making a giant bridge inside the cart. Maybe we should change the name to "Big A** Bridge Mod"....LOL

Ragman - First: that was a great find on the finer mesh. Second: I like the "Big A** Bridge Mod"... Heh, Heh, Heh

AngusATAT - My guess is that nic juice has a high film strength (greazy feel). Anyone who's taken out a dry cart can see and feel there's a lot still left in there. Most of the nic juice resides in the holes of the mesh. Doubling or tripling the mesh layers may cause the nic juice to have more surface area to cling to (kind of a 3D mesh) and thus prevents the leakage. The weight of the liquid that is above the mesh layers is not enough to dislodge the liquid that is already trapped in the mesh. (I'm also perplexed as to exactly why it doesn't leak either but the above explaination is all I can come up with)

As for the lack of "air play"..... When the thought first popped in my mind it didn't sound feasible to me either (one of those "What? No! That's ridiculous.." deals). But it made sense the more I thought about it. Then it finally hit me "What the heck, it's only $1.00".

Respects

Last edited:

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Cool.

How do you refill these? If you can just drop liquid into the mesh and it goes into the cart, why doesn't it also work in the opposite direction (and result in floodage?)

I also would like to hear a comparison between these and the PTB series of options.

I'm going to take a guess and use the words 'capiliary action' which is just a term I've seen a lot in the forum in regard to attys, but I really don't know what it means. :p I believe it is how an atty wicks, though pio, which means that as we inhale, we actually pull the liquid toward the atty. So if the liquid is suspended in the mesh, it stays there until it's pulled toward the atty. Is that right, Stric?

If I'm right, I want bonus points! If I'm wrong, just pat me on the head and tell me to go back to the little kids table. :D

Stric, I actually picked up a package of these awhile back w/no idea what I was going to do with them, but I knew they'd come in handy for something.

I have a question that pertains to this and other cart mods: is it ok if the metal screen comes in contact with the arch of the atty or am I misunderstanding how you place it and it actually does touch the atty?

One of the reasons I ask is I have been wondering what would happen if you took a pipe cleaner (which is nylon around a metal wire) and used it as filler and actually wrapped it around the arch so it would basically just run down the nylon and into the atty.

I'm off to try this....thanks for the great idea and giving me a reason to have bought these.

Osculum

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well it works... Not sure on the specifics of how though. No pics here but mine didn't end up as pointy as the OP.... Kinda hard to shape once it's in the cart and pushed down.

Mine are more of a cone with a flat top and the center recessed a tad to cup the bridge. I made two. One I filled with like 20 drops put on an atty/bat and have left lying there for 20 min on it's side... I keep checking for leaks, so far none.

The other I filled with the same amount and am smoking. Tastes real clean - No leaks. The first one I filled up I turned upside down for 2 min and at first I had a leak on one side as the screens get folded some going in. The leak wasn't that bad but I wanted it perfect so I fiddled with it using my tweezers to pinch at my cone until I could hold it upside down with nothing leaking.

You need to try and get as much contact on all sides of the cart with the screens to make it leak free. Took me all of 30 sec fiddling to get it right once I found the leak.

I'm gonna be careful with the next few days and watch for leaks but I'm pretty sure the OP frikkin rocks and has ended my search for a perfect filler. Thanks for the MOD OP... so far so good.

EDIT to add:

I agree with OP that the atty is not getting as hot. I'm hitting my 510 like crazy and it's not getting hot to the touch like usual. I'm guessing the heat is being distributed from the atty bridge over the brass screens.

I'm going to vape this down to the nub and see if any juice is left.

Last edited:

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
No Plastics: What if we put this brass mesh in the 510 atty itself surrounding the bridge. Then cap off the atty with the connector from an old 510 battery one with a hole (or make a hole). As long as the atty is no longer getting hot we can accomplish the following:

- have a filler that you dont have to change.
- shortening the overall length of the 510 to the size of a super mini (guessing)
- eliminating the plastic components
all while maintaining the flavor, vapor and hit of the juice.

Essentially we would be dripping with more than just 2 drops.

thoughts?

rho

Osculum

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If you leave the mess in how do you put more liquid in the cart?
And has any one tried this on a mini cart?

It goes in through the mesh - just doesn't come out. No idea how that works but it does. Using a 510 here.

The first drop or two just sat there and I had to blow them down lightly. Once the brass was wet though the rest went in instantly by themselves. Watching them go in I was sure they would come right back out once I started vaping but they didn't.

I used VG hilton BTW as I just got this in for the first time today. It's pretty good actually. Anyway... I filled with 20 drops. I just stopped at this point for no real reason, I'm sure you can get more in.

The cart vaped all the way down. I know it is empty as a lot of the flavor has gone away. It produced consistent smoke all the way down except for 1 fluke about midway at which time I gave my hand a jerk and the clouds billowed again. No idea what happened with that one. It was still producing vapor when I stopped but I don't want to totally dry my atty so I stopped. It tasted awesome too. I usually use a PTB mod and thought that tasted well but this is even better. I didn't use any regular angle... I took hits with it up, hits with it down and hits with it straight out from my face. No difference, no leaking.

I'm not going to remove the brass to verify 100% that it is all gone as when I took off the cart I have never seen the outside of a cart that dry and I verified emptiness by banging the open end of the cart strait down on my table about 20 time pretty hard and nothing came out. I just don't want to risk this cart if I can't make one as good as this. Trust me though... it's empty.

Thanks again to the OP - This really works like nothing else.

Last edited:

Osculum

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Osculum:

You are using the 100 pack screens from amazon? If so, are you using 3 layered as well, or just 1?

I've been using the blue foam (super easy and works well), and although I believe it to be safe as best as I can tell, this sounds safer. I'm always open to improvement!

Yep 100 pack I posted earlier.... It's actually just 20 of the 5 packs that the OP posted and I used 3 just as he had prescribed. I've made 5 so far today and they all turned out completely different as far as shape etc but they all worked except 1 which I really screwed up. The other 4 haven't leaked since I made them and I got my wife using one now. I can't find a pen top in my house for some reason so I have used several different items to make mine.

I used the blue foam stuff as well and they worked good too. Really liking this better though. Cleanest hits so far and vapes all the way down which I haven't seen happen with anything else.

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
Mine also don't turn out in the exact shape as planned every time. I have been able to use a safety pin to get it back out without causing damage if it looks to be a total failure.

Remember that the shape, number of screens used, etc are pretty much all that has been tested. I did start out with one screen (flooded atty) and also tried the cone upside down (flooded atty). But nothing thorough. Meaning this may not be the optimum shape or number of screens or mesh size (especially mesh size). The mesh size was unimportant when the order was placed. The screens were for another mod I am building. Photos will be posted if successful.
The door is wide open... SOMEBODY ONE UP IT!

Respects

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
Usually I am a quiet, reserved individual. The type that always sits in the back of the class, however, I have to "shout out" about this "Holy Grail" of a cart mod! ...shouting>:shock:

I walked to my local cigar shop (too close to drive) and bought 2 packs of brass screens for 99 cents per pack. I was told there were 3 screens per pack. I WILL buy more as they actually had 5 screens in each pack. (I left my bifocals at home)

I have been vaping for less than a month. My 1st PV was the RN4081 "super mini" which worked....well, if I were a half a pack a day smoker. As a 2-3 full pack a day smoker that I am (was) I needed something more "Military Grade"! Hence, the Janty Stick with it's 801 Pen Style carts.

Now here was my problem with the stick and 801 cart. Sure, the 801 cart can hold just about 1.3ml fully saturated. Absolutely great "draw", hit and all, but! I'll be damned...I can't get the "Good to the Last Drop" effect:mad: I had to keep "topping off" the "wool" material. If I didn't, I'd get this burnt poly taste that is unacceptable! OH! AND! if you get so much as one microscopic hair of poly fiber attached to the atty, it's gonna taste like a chemical plant that needs to have all local citizens evacuated!

I have tried FLUVAL which is the same type of poly fill, but a tad denser. I have tried the Pyramid tea bags, which work better....but...still there is something missing when it comes to the "wicking effect". I MUST say, I do NOT "drip" on my atty. Many ppl do and those that do are buying attys by the dozen from China.

Nonetheless, I was kind of worried about using the brass screens alone, so what I did was use an 801 cart with a short cut Pyramid Tea bag, and "plug" the top with 3 brass pipe screens. A very smart guy by the name "MoobeeGhost" <certain typos there...said NOT to use the PTB mod on 801's due to possible leakage into the atty. Heck, "stock" carts leak into the atty.

So now that I use an entire Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag AND 3 brass pipe screens for the top plug, I'm "Knocking the Top of My Head Off!":shock: PURE FLAVOR! Cataclysmic throat hits and a Pyroclastic NIC Buzz!:evil:

Oh well....I do like adjectives :) However, I am thinking about the full out 100% brass cart mod...with zero poly.

If I read correctly, the 1st generation of the brass mod was to "cap" the end of the cart with brass screens. Leaving the "body" of the cart to contain loose juice. (I'm a poet and know it, me feet show it, they are "Longfellow's") :) Geeez, what a failure to be funny I just was! Nonetheless, if one were to roll 3 brass screens....like the shape and size of a coffee stirrer, stuff it down the cart, then cap it with 3 cone shapped screens, well....wouldn't that be the best wicking material on Earth? That will be my next test. A 100% "Brass" cart!:D

WOW!:shock: I am still "knocking the top of my head off" when I would have needed to "top off" or "change poly" by now. And not yet a single bad "taste".

Below is a pic of a brass 801 tipped atty...that has done me quite well!

Attachments

• 801brass.jpg
    801brass.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 632

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
Mine also don't turn out in the exact shape as planned every time. I have been able to use a safety pin to get it back out without causing damage if it looks to be a total failure.

Remember that the shape, number of screens used, etc are pretty much all that has been tested. I did start out with one screen (flooded atty) and also tried the cone upside down (flooded atty). But nothing thorough. Meaning this may not be the optimum shape or number of screens or mesh size (especially mesh size). The mesh size was unimportant when the order was placed. The screens were for another mod I am building. Photos will be posted if successful.
The door is wide open... SOMEBODY ONE UP IT!

Respects

I just tried 1 brass screen around some FLUVAL on the RN4081...massive failure:( One brass screen will never be enough on any device.

The brass screens I bought locally are 3/4" (18mm) in diameter and round. I use FLUVAL and the Pyramid tea bags for my mini, but don't even use my mini any more after receiving my JStick. The 801 cart is big enough to almost back a truck into. I'll be buying a fist full of brass screens from my local smoke shop! As an afterthought, screens from a smoke shop may be the better way to go, as other products may contain "coatings" not suitable for smoking. 8-o

I will say, ALL of the juice I have on hand tastes SO much better! NO more polly for me!:lol:

Master_Vapor

Aug 29, 2009
Wow! This sounds like the "Holy Grill" of cartridge mods. I'll be trying it later this week.

Indeed! My nest step it to figure how to add monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI's) and adjust the PH in the nic juice. I have been reading LOTS of info on just "why" cigarette smokers are SO addicted to cigarettes. Pipe and cigar smokers have never "climbed the walls"! (Read the link in the subject line) I still can't post hyperlinks....yet...:mad:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
STriC IX: hella cool idea PROPS

MV:
you just motivated me to try this with my JS 801
thanks All
Usually I am a quiet, reserved individual. The type that always sits in the back of the class, however, I have to "shout out" about this "Holy Grail" of a cart mod! ...shouting>:shock:

I walked to my local cigar shop (too close to drive) and bought 2 packs of brass screens for 99 cents per pack. I was told there were 3 screens per pack. I WILL buy more as they actually had 5 screens in each pack. (I left my bifocals at home)

I have been vaping for less than a month. My 1st PV was the RN4081 "super mini" which worked....well, if I were a half a pack a day smoker. As a 2-3 full pack a day smoker that I am (was) I needed something more "Military Grade"! Hence, the Janty Stick with it's 801 Pen Style carts.

Now here was my problem with the stick and 801 cart. Sure, the 801 cart can hold just about 1.3ml fully saturated. Absolutely great "draw", hit and all, but! I'll be damned...I can't get the "Good to the Last Drop" effect:mad: I had to keep "topping off" the "wool" material. If I didn't, I'd get this burnt poly taste that is unacceptable! OH! AND! if you get so much as one microscopic hair of poly fiber attached to the atty, it's gonna taste like a chemical plant that needs to have all local citizens evacuated!

I have tried FLUVAL which is the same type of poly fill, but a tad denser. I have tried the Pyramid tea bags, which work better....but...still there is something missing when it comes to the "wicking effect". I MUST say, I do NOT "drip" on my atty. Many ppl do and those that do are buying attys by the dozen from China.

Nonetheless, I was kind of worried about using the brass screens alone, so what I did was use an 801 cart with a short cut Pyramid Tea bag, and "plug" the top with 3 brass pipe screens. A very smart guy by the name "MoobeeGhost" <certain typos there...said NOT to use the PTB mod on 801's due to possible leakage into the atty. Heck, "stock" carts leak into the atty.

So now that I use an entire Lipton Pyramid Tea Bag AND 3 brass pipe screens for the top plug, I'm "Knocking the Top of My Head Off!":shock: PURE FLAVOR! Cataclysmic throat hits and a Pyroclastic NIC Buzz!:evil:

Oh well....I do like adjectives :) However, I am thinking about the full out 100% brass cart mod...with zero poly.

If I read correctly, the 1st generation of the brass mod was to "cap" the end of the cart with brass screens. Leaving the "body" of the cart to contain loose juice. (I'm a poet and know it, me feet show it, they are "Longfellow's") :) Geeez, what a failure to be funny I just was! Nonetheless, if one were to roll 3 brass screens....like the shape and size of a coffee stirrer, stuff it down the cart, then cap it with 3 cone shapped screens, well....wouldn't that be the best wicking material on Earth? That will be my next test. A 100% "Brass" cart!:D

WOW!:shock: I am still "knocking the top of my head off" when I would have needed to "top off" or "change poly" by now. And not yet a single bad "taste".

Below is a pic of a brass 801 tipped atty...that has done me quite well!

Also if this works like they say: we should vote for a sticky on the cart mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread