Brass Screen Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
I just looked outside and the sky is NOT falling....

Yes, brass corrodes (it only takes about 20 years). I personally don't plan on keeping a cart that long. Most pipe screens are also gold plated (not that it really matters). Brass is naturally bacteria resistant and a great conductor of heat. This is the reason it is used in water fixtures (liquidy water fixtures). Google brass pipe fittings or better yet look at any water line in your home. That "brassy" looking stuff under there is {{{gulp}}} BRASS!!!8-o
Led was a component in brass back when led was a component in paint. Please do not use brass screens manufactured before 1962.:rolleyes:

Stainless steel comes in multiple grades (hundreds more than brass actually), the lower grades do rust. Unless you know what grade it is, it's not going to be any safer (if we split hairs here)!

Either will work, but both have risks... minuscule, infinitesimal risks but risks none the less.

My money stays on brass....

Respects

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
I'm gonna have to stay in the corner of the SS screens.
Other metals can and do leach especially with heat applied.
I saw aluminum mentioned.
Aluminum has been found in the brain tissue of most Alzheimers patients.
For the slight diff in cost or a few days wait, err to the safe side please.
Aluminum was believed to be tranmitted to food by cooking acidic foods, tomatoes etc..
Metal poisoning is slow to show in minute amounts.

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
If anyone here unscrews their atty from the battery... that "brassy" looking stuff on the ends of both the battery and atty (air inlet) is {{gulp}} brass. 8-o
Hopefully Imogene will alert every single e-cig manufacturer to this horrific danger.... LOL :lol:

jambo - when I fill the cart, I usually drop the nic juice in the corner of the cart. Hope this helps.

Respects

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
If anyone here unscrews their atty from the battery... that "brassy" looking stuff on the ends of both the battery and atty (air inlet) is {{gulp}} brass. 8-o
Hopefully Imogene will alert every single e-cig manufacturer to this horrific danger.... LOL :lol:

jambo - when I fill the cart, I usually drop the nic juice in the corner of the cart. Hope this helps.

Respects

Love the sarcasm Stric9.

I still think the Brass mod is what we are looking for. I mean they are cheap. Easily avaialble from any smoke shop. ANd you would have to change it less frequently than any other alternative yet.

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Love the sarcasm Stric9.

I still think the Brass mod is what we are looking for. I mean they are cheap. Easily avaialble from any smoke shop. ANd you would have to change it less frequently than any other alternative yet.

chemical composition aside, from the workability of the material, i would go with brass over 'silver'

rho

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I did it! It works great on my 901, 510 and even my 401!!! I really like my 401 for out and about, but the cartridges drive me nuts. This is great! The Indian Smoke Shop had the brass pipe screens for 10 cents for a pack of 5, too! I had to mess around with them to get them to fit, but once they are in there right they don't leak and they seem to be lasting. Easy to fill.
I've had my ecigs since January and have tried everything for cartridge filler, finally gave up and only drip. While dripping works great, it is messy and a has to be done frequently. This is a great solution!
Thanks!!!!

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
I did it! It works great on my 901, 510 and even my 401!!! I really like my 401 for out and about, but the cartridges drive me nuts. This is great! The Indian Smoke Shop had the brass pipe screens for 10 cents for a pack of 5, too! I had to mess around with them to get them to fit, but once they are in there right they don't leak and they seem to be lasting. Easy to fill.
I've had my ecigs since January and have tried everything for cartridge filler, finally gave up and only drip. While dripping works great, it is messy and a has to be done frequently. This is a great solution!
Thanks!!!!

I need to find an indian smoke shop. I got these screens for $1 for a pack of 5. holy cow. I agree. I like the material, the say it holds and easily gives up the liquid. I can get 19 drops in a 510 cart and that can last me a half a day. My only issues are:
- ease of removal for cleaning
- adjustability for varying atty bridge heights
- permanent damage to the material on the atty bridge

I was able to make a mod that I pictured in a previous post and it is really easy to take out with a paper clip using the hole and because its really 3 parts I can take a paper clip to adjust the height of the middle piece if needed. Im sure anyone that has successfully made a mod with this material knows two things. 1- If you leave any significant space between the brass and the inside of the cart it will leak and flood. and 2- If the brass does not touch the atty bridge it will not work. (well, thats my experience)

I like the material but I feel a little limited with the amount of material given. With PTB the issue was how to cut it to size to get the shape you want. With this its how do I put this together to accomplish what I want.

the adventure continues.

rho

rhoneil

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
rhoneil, I am using your method, and after the second attempt, it seems to be working fine. Every time I tried the original method, it would flood the atty. I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but at least something is working now. :)

Thanks for the tips, guys!

cool. here is a quick vid about that one and another one im trying. i have not even reviewed the video yet so im not sure how its going to be but here it is.
I have band practice so Ill see you guys when i get home.

YouTube - 510 Brass Cart mod

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I tried it today. I did one two layer and two single--did the singles because I was in a hurry because I had to go.
Anyway, when I got home, because I got seepage, I redid the two singles and did all I had screen for. It was a bit rough on the fingers because I was working on a mini. But it was worth it!!! because the results are awesome. And talk about vapor!!!
Right now I’m using an atty I put away because it was getting hot and had a burnt taste to it. I figured it would be limited to the manual NicoStick. It’s working great right now.
I do have to leave them laying flat instead of an angle when the cart is full.
When I get the finer stuff, I might take on the three layer. THAT WILL BE FUN since I am working with minis.

I used the double layer most the time I was gone, and in a little under three hours, I drained the cart and that was with a lot of use.
I really love my carts though because they are clear so I can see inside—know how much liquid I’m getting in and when it’s time to reload.
Like someone said, this is the way it should have been done in the first place.
Thank you for the idea!!!

I use VG and vodka, do you think cleaning them once a week will keep the screen from gumming up?
Since I’m using Vodka, I’m thinking alcohol would be great to let them soak to get them clean.

I’m so sure this is the one that I bagged everything else and put it away and said goodbye to cart filling forever.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
I’m so sure this is the one that I bagged everything else and put it away and said goodbye to cart filling forever.

I'm beginning to think the same thing. I'm getting a metric ton of vapor out of this, and lots of taste. Not to mention how long I can go before refilling. This is a great find.

Osculum

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Second full day and my original one is working great and still vaping to the bottom. Although mine is perfect I'm going to try one of Rho's flower ones if only to fill the time which would have been spent trying to find a better filler or even a better way to roll my PTBs.

I usually dedicated atleast 30 minutes a day to fixing my cart fillings or experimenting with new ones and now that I have this perfection I still feel the need to try different versions. :p

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
rhoneil - Excellent Video!!
I'm going to try that "rose" shape when I get back home this weekend.

BTW - The crushed bridge thing. Try using a bad atty to seat the screen. Then remove the cart turn it a 1/4 turn and seat the cart again. Keep repeating until you feel the slide in smoothly the last 1/8 inch. I had a couple that seemed to be fine but then bottomed out after a refill (or two). The bridges are either off center or unevenly elavated (or both).

Respects

Osculum

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
San Antonio, TX
rhoneil - Excellent Video!!
I'm going to try that "rose" shape when I get back home this weekend.

BTW - The crushed bridge thing. Try using a bad atty to seat the screen. Then remove the cart turn it a 1/4 turn and seat the cart again. Keep repeating until you feel the slide in smoothly the last 1/8 inch. I had a couple that seemed to be fine but then bottomed out after a refill (or two). The bridges are either off center or unevenly elavated (or both).

Respects

Yeah.. I put mine on very carefully the first time to see if I need to move the screen down some, adjust, and then push down all the way. I flattened the bridge on accident on the first one I made... Interesting enough though that atty still works quite well.

I also make sure to line the bridge up with the cart and do not twist on/off anymore. Straight down slowly til I feel contact then 1 last light push.

BTW... First battery for the silver bullet I just received today finished recharging. Vapes beautifully with this cart mod.

Seems like lots of progress :)

I would vote for stainless steel over brass.

Now, the problem here is the contact between the two metals - the cart screen material and the nickel bridge. That contact might not be good (the weak-point), and I suspect the nickel bridge may get damaged quite easily over time.

So how about developing a new atty specially for dripping by using this material in the atty rather than in the cart (lots of space in there) ...

And (I may have missed this) has anyone tried incorporating the 'straw mod' (a short length of cotton bud tube at the inner side of the cart)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread