Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
@super_X_drifter Whats the logic behind having that smaller wick?

I believe that if its too thick, it'll choke when it expands. Coil looks great though. Good job man. I've built coils that completely touch, but found that some random small gaps are good :)

Like this:

u9agy7as.jpg

Last edited:

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
So I've been working my way down in ohms to see what I like with these micros. I'm using 28g just because it's easy to work with. I'll try this process again with 30g or 32g later. First I started with a lot of wraps, 15 in total, but lag time was too long. The vape was good but not great. I can't remember what it was in ohms, maybe 2 ohms. I'm down to 11 wraps at 1.3 ohms and the lag time is manageable. Vapor was good, taste was great.

Today I built the same 11 wrap 1.3 ohm coil but with a little twist. I wrapped the coil around a small screwdriver then pulled on both legs with channel locks, then hit it with my torch while pulling on the channel locks to tighten it up. Then I mounted it on my atomizer and put the coil right in front of the air hole. I spent a few minutes looking for any tiny little gap then pushed them together one by one while firing. Lastly, I slid a single piece of cotton yarn in.

The results are amazing. On my mech mod with a fresh battery it's really good, but on my vamo at 6v it's mind blowing. Vapor, flavor, and warmth is far better than what I've been getting with .8 ribbon at .7-.8 ohms. Th is about the same. Now I'm glad I didn't give my vamo to my dad as a spare.

9036262845_065aba1a44.jpg

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Here's a pic of my coils I've been making for the Vivi nova and its been working good. I didn't think you were supposed to let the coils touch so I guess I learned something different. I also put the cotton in after I make the coil on a 1/16 drill bit. Is the best way to make a coil, IMO.
image.jpg
I've also used the Igo-l with these and had great success. I use cotton roll from Walgreens and have had great wicking and flavor.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's a pic of my coils I've been making for the Vivi nova and its been working good. I didn't think you were supposed to let the coils touch so I guess I learned something different. I also put the cotton in after I make the coil on a 1/16 drill bit. Is the best way to make a coil, IMO.
View attachment 220331
I've also used the Igo-l with these and had great success. I use cotton roll from Walgreens and have had great wicking and flavor.

In not sure where the misconception that coils shouldn't touch originated from. Its all I read on here and in the couple of videos I could sit thru. I hate vape videos. Most of whats said just bores me to death.

All i can say is damn were they wrong. The closer they are to each other, the better they perform. Learning this kinda made me discard any common logic about coil and wick.

If the diameter of the coil is small enough, like 1/16" or less, there is negligible lag time, but the dividends in flavor, vapor and TH are well worth the millisecond or two it takes these tiny walls o wire to heat up.

Oh yeah, a properly sized and positioned airhole is key :)

Last edited:

RottenJeeves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
St Paul, Minnesota

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thanks so much for all this great info. I never heard of micro coils until now and am anxious to try them. Would you mind telling me what wire you are using? I have 32 g kanthal which I'm sure is going to make the ohms too high.

I run 30 ga Kanthal A1 :)

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Also, I do a 5/6 coil wrap with coils not touching and it came out to 2.7 ohms, so I don't see how I can use 32 kanthal with 10 wraps without it going higher ohms on a 1/16 bit. I'm thinking I might have to go smaller or change my wire?

I was thinking a 1/16 bit would be about 1.5mm in diameter, but I must be wrong about that. For a 1.5mm diameter coil it's about 2 ohms with 10 wraps of 32ga.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread