Can i use my phone adapter for charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Your ecig battery will draw what it needs, the wall adapter does not push power to the battery.

As long as your battery isn't trying to pull 2 amps of power through a wall wart that has a lower rating you'll be fine.

I use a 2 amp wall wart when charging my battery that charges at 1 amp. There is less heat build up.

Just ensure there is no excessive heat build up the first few times/occasionally. Cheers.

Lakro

Jul 20, 2016
Your ecig battery will draw what it needs, the wall adapter does not push power to the battery.

As long as your battery isn't trying to pull 2 amps of power through a wall wart that has a lower rating you'll be fine.

I use a 2 amp wall wart when charging my battery that charges at 1 amp. There is less heat build up.

Just ensure there is no excessive heat build up the first few times/occasionally. Cheers.
Thank you so much for a quick answer! Bye

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Details are very important... especially where battery safety is concerned.

What specific brand and model of e-cig power/battery unit are you using?

Manufacturer's specifications should be printed on each device for both input and output voltages and amps. If they are not designated on the device. Look it up on-line or if possible, contact the manufacturer.

DO NOT assume just because you can plug 2 electrical devices together that they are compatible in their input/output capabilities. Also not all USB outputs are the same amperage and not all battery units come equipped with a safe regulating charging circuit.

Taking the time to fully understand your gear and using the correct and also quality charging equipment can help you avoid fires and potentially dangerous explosive incidents. Even the good stuff goes bad occasionally. Knowledge is your key to safety. Vape safe!!

Lakro

Jul 20, 2016
Details are very important... especially where battery safety is concerned.

What specific brand and model of e-cig power/battery unit are you using?

Manufacturer's specifications should be printed on each device for both input and output voltages and amps. If they are not designated on the device. Look it up on-line or if possible, contact the manufacturer.

DO NOT assume just because you can plug 2 electrical devices together that they are compatible in their input/output capabilities. Also not all USB outputs are the same amperage and not all battery units come equipped with a safe regulating charging circuit.

Taking the time to fully understand your gear and using the correct and also quality charging equipment can help you avoid fires and potentially dangerous explosive incidents. Even the good stuff goes bad occasionally. Knowledge is your key to safety. Vape safe!!
I said above that the wall adapter from my phone says: "OUTPUT 5.0V= 1.0A"
And my e cig usb charger says: "Input: DC 5V", "Output: DC4.2V:::420mA" (the usb charger is the original that was witch the e cig, i just want to know if i can use the wall adapter witch this USB CHARGER, just a simple YES or NO... why is it so complicated.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
i just want to know if i can use the wall adapter witch this USB CHARGER, just a simple YES or NO... why is it so complicated.
Capitals is similar to shouting; please chill man.
1) you haven't told us anything about your e-cig. Is it a mod or an eGo?
2) if your cable has 420mAh written on it, you are presumably talking about an 'old' ego/usb charger. In this case the safest option is to use a 500mAh wall adapter. You can use a 1 or 2 amp wall 'wart' but if something goes bad in the chain then you increase your risk. There have been exploding eGos when folk have used over- specified mains plugs. I wouldn't take the risk.
Getting impatient when people are trying to help (and not telling us the full details) is not ideal.
If you have a pen battery and a 420mAh charging cable, then the best option is to use a 500mAh wall adapter.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
You'll be fine. I've only used phone chargers on my mods when they have internal batteries and lots of times on my external battery mods. when I'm out of the house away from my battery charger.

You'll notice that many here will over complicate things when it comes to battery or charging advice but I think people in the news blowing up their pants or blowing off their lips makes some people overly cautious when it comes to batteries.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I said above that the wall adapter from my phone says: "OUTPUT 5.0V= 1.0A"
And my e cig usb charger says: "Input: DC 5V", "Output: DC4.2V:::420mA" (the usb charger is the original that was witch the e cig, i just want to know if i can use the wall adapter witch this USB CHARGER, just a simple YES or NO... why is it so complicated.
Charge it. You are safe.
This forum is obsessive with safety (and why not?). What's not so good, even those who really have nothing to say just feel obliged to say something, like "there are volts, amperes, chargers, and they could be different, and you'll die if you misspell these words.

Last edited:
Reactions: daviedog

Lakro

Jul 20, 2016
Charge it. You are safe.
This forum is obsessive with safety (and why not?). What's not so good, even those who really have nothing to say just feel obliged to say something, like "there are volts, amperes, chargers, and they could be different, and you'll die if you misspell these words.
Thank you.
And yes i have just a cheap eGo-T.
Ive read that the explosion actually happened because the person had it in their pocket with something else that was metal, for example keys or coins.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Those type of explosions or venting incidents tend to happen when people carry bare 18650-type cells in their pockets and they end up hard shorting on coins or keys etc., and then vent.

Always use a container made of non-conductive material like plastic to carry and store your cells - a lot of places that sell them, especially mail order/online send them in specially-made little plastic boxes that fit 2 or4 perfectly. Places like Fasttech sell them for about $1 each or give you them when you buy batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread