Can the Vapor set off a smoke detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
One of the biggest problems I had with smoking was traveling and finding a place to have a cigarette. We'll be cruising in a couple of months and I'm told on the Cruise Critic Board that E-Cigs are classified just the same as regular tobacco so you have to be in the 'smoking section' to use them. Some say that they've done it anyway and been 'discreet' and not been bothered. Others say it's just so new and people freak out and carry on (ALL non-smokers do if you ask me .... some are SOOO over the top!! LOL!) so it's just easier to ask the person not to do it. I wondered about doing it in the bathroom on a plane??? Sure wouldn't want to set off the alarm and get kicked off!! LOL!!:glare:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Even hairspray in an airliner bathroom can set off a smoke detector. If you have to use an e cig on a plan in the bathroom suck the vapor in and hold it to get your hit and then slowly blow it downward. Into your blouse/shirt front, the neck of your sweater, etc. You do not want the plume to hit that detector. They can come right in if the alarm goes off and if you're caught it can get nasty.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I think you will be OK on a cruise. I use mine in hotel rooms all the time with no issue. No smoke, no ash, no bad smells. Yes, I have used mine in airplanes discretely and in the bathroom, being careful not to exhale a large quantity of vapor (100% VG). Yes if you blow into a smoke detector some may go off, but you won't have that issue on your cruise.

rookbartley989

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
SoCal
I know there have been many answers on this. The safest way is to assume that yes, you will set off a smoke detector. Of course it always depends on the type, however, the most common types of detectors will mostly likely be set off by your vape. ie: boiling water steam, burnt toast, hot steamy showers...

I used to install fire alarms (now just a paralegal) and on many occasions I have had to roll up my plans and blow smoke from my cigarette (when i used to smoke) up at it for the inspections as my canned smoke had run out. Sometimes it would take alot to set em off, sometimes just a wiff. Always fun!

Ron -

mmomom

Aug 1, 2012
Georgia
Wow ... thanx everyone! Good to know. I had no idea it was illegal on the plane ... and even tho some posts said you could do it ... think I'll wait, LOL!! Not ready for that 'parachute' yet when they toss me off!! LOL!! I'm not concerned about the cruise really ... but think it's crazy you have to go to the 'smoking side' of the ship while outside ... probably will depend on my mood whether I'll comply or 'discreetly' do my thing! We usually go Royal Caribbean or Holland America, but booked a Carnival for September ... and seems on the Cruise Critic Board, most people say the general feeling for all lines is it's to be done where regular smoking is done. So, we'll see. I'm just glad the pressure is off ... even tho it's okay to smoke on the balcony I always feel intimidated when the person next to us starts with the coughing or just goes into their cabin and slams the door!! I've seen the nasty posts on the board with people complaining about smoking on the balcony even tho it's allowed. Now I can just use the e-cig and feel better about the whole deal! But, think I'll hold off on the airport and plane deal .... although what about the ladies room at the airport???

Yves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Matamata, New Zealand
For future information this is the policy for Princess Cruises on electronic cigs, Taken directly from their website under the New Smoking Policy.

Electronic Cigarettes
The use of electronic cigarettes is permitted in all areas onboard with the exception of dining areas and the Princess Theater. However, should a fellow passenger in the vicinity feel inconvenienced and complain, even after being told the difference between electronic cigarettes and real cigarettes, we will ask the passenger to refrain from smoking the electronic cigarette.

Reactions: ZeroedIn

valcityboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
Altamonte Springs, FL
i'm a firefighter and I will tell you as has been answered by some it will depend on the type but yes vapor can set them off quality of the detector also matters

You make me want to change my smoke detectors then. Me and the Mrs vape all the time at the house and nothing, also at work, but I can see where we work having "not the best" smoke detectors. Good to know. I would skip the airplane. I lost my first PV there. Of course I forgot it was in my pocket and when I put it on the little scan thing, TSA kinda went crazy about it. Of course this was almost a couple years ago and I wasn't flying, just seeing my daughter off. It was a "pipe bomb" type mod...it's all good though. I bought it for about $20 and b/c of that I was able to get me an Omega to replace it so worked out good.

Thanks.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Since vaper is not smoke, it does not set off smoke detectors. We know, we've tried it already. People have sat right underneath a smoke detector and blown their vaper right up to the detector. You do need to know though, that vaping on a plane is illegal.

I used my Blu on the plane last week. I guess ignorance is bliss, as no one told me I couldn't or that I was breaking the law. I did explain it to my seatmate, who basically was proud of me for quitting the real thing and didn't mind at all. I wonder why the stewardess who saw me doing it didn't say anything then? I wasn't hiding it in any way.

I also vaped in the airport bar. Again, nothing said and the bartender did see it as I was sitting closest to the taps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread