Can you be an Analog Virgin but Vaping Stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallucinoJEN

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2012
Richmond, VA USA
Am I the only one who doesn't get a buzz from vaping??? When I used to smoke analogs, I got a nic buzz on the first cig of the day to the point where I got dizzy and light headed. Ask the day wore on and the nic built up in my system, that initial dizziness and light headedness disappeared. My first vape of the day does not give me that feeling of dizziness and light headedness like the analogs gave me in the morning. I still have a craving for nic though.

When I started vaping, I vaped 24 mg. of nic then after 2 weeks, I stepped down to 18 mg. I am still vaping 18 mg. I used to be a PAD smoker, because I was not allowed to smoke inside. When I used to smoke inside, I smoked 1.5 to 2 PAD. I used to light a new cig with the cig I just finished. :p

I also agree with dragonbone. Since vaping is still new, there hasn't been enough studies done to suggest that vaping is safe. I agree that it is safer than smoking analogs. Also, I would like to add that if you were not originally a smoker, you should make your own juice, so that you know without a shadow of a doubt that the juice has no nic.

Happy Vaping! :vapor:
Jen

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
A must read for the questions being asked.

If e-cigs do become one of the norms for using nicotine in the future then how are you going to stop folks from taking up the habit, and why would you want to make any great effect to do so.

A certain percentage of the population are going to use tobacco in some form. The real question is, are they going to use low risk products like snus and e-cigs or are they going to smoke cigarettes. If harm reduction is successful in the future and we have masses of people quitting smoking and switching to low risk recreational tobacco/nicotine products, we can be assured that a percentage of non-smokers/tobacco/nicotine users will take up vaping from the start with no other previous tobacco use.

The public health implication of that is essentially zero so that is not the issue. Tobacco harm reduction takes the issue of recreational use of tobacco/nicotine out of the realm of public health and into the realm of personal choice. As long as people have good information on what they are getting into it's no business of mine, or any one else what they do with their life.

Last edited:

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I will raise my hand here and join the masses on saying that I can't even remember why I started smoking in the first place, only that it is the biggest mistake I have ever made, that said I would like to believe that had vaping been around at the time I would have probably done that first as it is seen as the safer option. While (like many I presume) don't like to see anyone get hooked on nicotine I would rather they vape than smoke an analogue.

With regards to non smokers vaping, I don't have an issue with it, I know one lady who had never touched a cigarette in life but battled with food, she felt down about how she looked and would comfort eat and it was a vicious circle, yes she heard of vaping through me but I did not encourage her, she took it upon herself to research and found out about zero-nic juice in a variety of yummy flavours and a few weeks later she thanked me, she vapes zero nic now when the urge to comfort eat strikes, having been at a slimming group for over a year with little success she started to see the weight come off, in 3 months she had lost more than she had in over a year and she is happy, she says she may use it heavily one day and then not use it then for a week but just knowing it is there helps. She is an adult and researched and felt she made an informed decision and most importantly, it hasn't made her want to smoke.

So I think my view is that if the person is an adult and making an informed choice then that is ok

Random2k

Aug 13, 2012
Canada
Hi,

I had my first analog tobacco product when I was 20. A cigar on new years. My father was a pack a day smoker for years. I saw what happened to him. Yellow teeth, discolored nails and morning coughing. I hate the smell.

So many friends smoke. Co workers. In my life i only ever tried a real analog once or twice out partying outside clubs. I honestly dont think i even smoked them properly.

I tried nicotine gum becuase i wanted to see what the high from smoking was like. Then i also tried the nicorette inhaler.

Now few years later. the price/quality of vaporizers have gotten to where i like it. So i did my first order.

got some organic juice from Crave Gourmet eJuice and decided not to use any nicotine. This is going to be my hookha replacement. I tried hooka about 5 times now. my friends always do it.

so there are people out there.... im one of the 1% ..

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I started smoking because I was working phone sales (back when humans had to dial the phone and do the talking) and my sales went from near-0 to near-normal after a cig on break. It was a huge mood-lifter for me.

I have NO intention of quitting nicotine, ever. I *do* want to quit smoking.

NO WAY I believe vaping is safe. But I could see it helping with over-eating. I would strongly suggest that anyone using it for that reason should NOT INHALE. Flavors approved for eating could well be just fine in your mouth, I would not suggest anybody mess with their lungs without a whale of a good reason.

And since we are currently under attack for what young people might do regarding vaping, I would not encourage it at all in young people, and by that I mean anybody under 30 who has never smoked.

On the other hand, I think a lot of things we're trying to prohibit constitute valid self-medication and I am a big believer in harm reduction, or, really, the right to intelligently self-medicate.

Ideally some branch of medicine would do a better job of researching what kinds of personal chemistry or brain wiring can get benefits or harm from all kinds of herbs and alternative treatments. Just like licorice turned out to help some folks with one particular type of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the kind caused by sudden blood pressure drop-outs) and rosemary should be avoided by people with high blood pressure and salmon and chocolate both contain anti-depressent properties.

Right now, too much research is still based on a one-size-fits-all model. Did we forget that "One man's meat is another man's poison" ?

I am not an analog virgin, but I very occasionally social smoke. Such as in groups where everyone is smoking, or if I am having a drink in a bar, which is also very occasional. I want to try vaping for several reasons, do not wish to go into them now, but my main reason is in hopes that my husband will quit or at least cut back on analogs, and I think it would help if we were doing something together.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I am not an analog virgin, but I very occasionally social smoke. Such as in groups where everyone is smoking, or if I am having a drink in a bar, which is also very occasional. I want to try vaping for several reasons, do not wish to go into them now, but my main reason is in hopes that my husband will quit or at least cut back on analogs, and I think it would help if we were doing something together.

Yes,i started vaping to get myself off analogs, but mainly to get my chain smoking wife off analogs. We did it together and have not looked back once. You can do it!!! :)

ratedPG

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Belmont, NC
www.wix.com
This is an interesting thread! I just ran across it, and see there haven't been any new posts in awhile, but I'll join in anyhow, in hopes that it might be seen by a few people.

I have never smoked analogs, and I've vaped for years, either unflavored straight propylene glycol or homemade flavored PG. I would also enthusiastically recommend vaping to anyone and everyone who has never even thought about a cigarette before.

Here's why: they aren't cigarettes. They aren't smoking. They are the diametric opposite of smoking -- vaping makes you healthier -- and the more we can push that concept and divorce the connection to analogs, the better off we'll all be. Yes, you can add nic to the juice, and blammo, you're off tobacco. You can then dial back the nic until you're nic free. Great! But merely tying PVs to smoking cessation is looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

The key is that what we have is a method to easily and cheaply breathe PG vapor. And PG vapor was proven seventy years ago to be an air sterilizer. It wipes out bacteria. It wipes out viruses. (Want empirical proof? Easy -- How many sinus infections and colds have you had since you started vaping, compared to before?)

The would-be "Regulators" haven't learned their history -- all their research has already been done, decades ago. They keep parroting the "nicotine vapor" line that's been around for years, when the whole point of the e-cig isn't (or shouldn't be!) the nic at all, but the PG. And vaporized PG has been thoroughly vetted, tried, and then forgotten about, for decades.

We need, in our emails and letters and calls to our representatives in government, to distance the e-cig from the analog as much as we possibly can. Sure, it can help you quit smoking, but it's so, so much more than that. I want a world where everyone vapes delicious, vaporized 0mg PG all day long, and seasonal coughs, sneezes, sniffles, influenza and pneumonia are so rare as to be an extraordinary occurrence: "Oh, I see you haven't been vaping enough.":D

overall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
TEXAS
I have to agree here with the benefits of vaping PG. Since quitting smoking 2/8/12 I have had 2 minor colds start. At the first hint of the cold I switched to high PG juice.....next day all cold symptoms were gone. While I am vaping pretty I have watched the entire office get sick one after the other, some had to take several days off work. Now I was a PAD smoker for 31 years and started vaping out of curiosity....I really did not want to quit smoking as I enjoyed it. Now I have this extremely expensive hobby that I enjoy. My employers are supportive of vaping and allow vaping in the office. I buy starter kits as my way to pay it forward, so far 12 smokers have switched to vaping.
This is an interesting thread! I just ran across it, and see there haven't been any new posts in awhile, but I'll join in anyhow, in hopes that it might be seen by a few people.

I have never smoked analogs, and I've vaped for years, either unflavored straight propylene glycol or homemade flavored PG. I would also enthusiastically recommend vaping to anyone and everyone who has never even thought about a cigarette before.

Here's why: they aren't cigarettes. They aren't smoking. They are the diametric opposite of smoking -- vaping makes you healthier -- and the more we can push that concept and divorce the connection to analogs, the better off we'll all be. Yes, you can add nic to the juice, and blammo, you're off tobacco. You can then dial back the nic until you're nic free. Great! But merely tying PVs to smoking cessation is looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

The key is that what we have is a method to easily and cheaply breathe PG vapor. And PG vapor was proven seventy years ago to be an air sterilizer. It wipes out bacteria. It wipes out viruses. (Want empirical proof? Easy -- How many sinus infections and colds have you had since you started vaping, compared to before?)

The would-be "Regulators" haven't learned their history -- all their research has already been done, decades ago. They keep parroting the "nicotine vapor" line that's been around for years, when the whole point of the e-cig isn't (or shouldn't be!) the nic at all, but the PG. And vaporized PG has been thoroughly vetted, tried, and then forgotten about, for decades.

We need, in our emails and letters and calls to our representatives in government, to distance the e-cig from the analog as much as we possibly can. Sure, it can help you quit smoking, but it's so, so much more than that. I want a world where everyone vapes delicious, vaporized 0mg PG all day long, and seasonal coughs, sneezes, sniffles, influenza and pneumonia are so rare as to be an extraordinary occurrence: "Oh, I see you haven't been vaping enough.":D

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
I've actually got a buddy that was pretty new to analogs, then switched to vaping. They do exist, just very rare. In their eyes I'm assuming it's just the latest fad. I think he's vaping for the wrong reasons, but that's just the choice he's made.

Granted that most people vape to quit smoking, it IS just nicotine. Heck even if someone picked up vaping instead of smoking as a stress reliever i'm happy for them :D. However there are select few people who would vape just to trend and seem 'cool' ; those type of people are called posers :p

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
My girlfriend would only smoke a cig once in a blue moon when she was extra drunk, maybe one every other month. Me, being a pack a day smoker or so, switched to vaping. She loved the flavor (she calls it her "pocket hookah") and since I'm a bit of a gear ....., after starting vaping, I quickly ended up with about 4 complete e-cigs. She asked to have one to keep in her purse, and she's now a vaper!

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
She wanted to try it, so I obliged. I suppose you could say "I got her hooked on nicotine" but I don't look at it that way. She never liked cigarettes (luckily) but seems to love the vaping. The way I see it, she's an adult and can do what she wants. Since she's been vaping recently, my last order of vape goo included some low-nic stuff for her and some regular strength stuff for me.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
I have an Uncle that bought a kit from me in order to get his wife to quit smoking, He has never never never and I mean never ever smoked a cigarette. He ended up taking a couple toots while he was drinkin one night and now he vapes nightly with his beer. I kinda feel bad that I helped him get started with a new habit, when he never even smoked. Sad thing is, his wife still smokes the stinkies!

My girlfriend would only smoke a cig once in a blue moon when she was extra drunk, maybe one every other month. Me, being a pack a day smoker or so, switched to vaping. She loved the flavor (she calls it her "pocket hookah") and since I'm a bit of a gear ....., after starting vaping, I quickly ended up with about 4 complete e-cigs. She asked to have one to keep in her purse, and she's now a vaper!
I love that....*Pocket Hookah*. That's exactly it!I am a social smoker....when I drink I smoke. I can't help it. I found vaping as an alternative to stinking and coughing the day after drinking. Sure, I vape more now....as in not just when I drink. I enjoy the flavors and vape 0 nic, unless it's a night out, then I have my 4-6mg juices for that. I see no problem with it. My hubby was less of a social smoker than I was, and he is vaping dessert types and coffee flavors after a big meal. I really don't see anything wrong with that at all:)

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Before I get started in answering these questions I think it should be noted that I usually use a high nicotine juice, and have no intention of quitting nicotine. I have ADD, and the nicotine helps me focus--also I like it. For those who will argue that vaping isn't know to be "safe"; crossing the street or driving a car is also not safe. Adults have the right to make decisions for themselves, and I believe are capable of making a cost benefit analysis. In time we will know exactly how much less harmful than smoking vaping is as a means of nicotine absorbtion--we already know the safety for PG and VG, the only question really is the flavorings.

Thanks, some interesting insight and responses. I was curious as to the make up of 'The Vaper'

1. Is vaping an ex-smoker exclusive club.

It is my view that most people who currently vape do so because they don't want to smoke analog cigarettes (and pipes/cigars). That said, no not all vapers are people who used to smoke. Nor should vaping be an ex-smoker only club. It is my view that adults are perfectly capable of deciding what they want to do--and that includes using nicotine which while addictive is by itself on par with caffeine in physical harm.

The health problems associated with tobacco use seem to be directly related with inhaling smoke from burning leaves, not the nicotine.

2. Will vaping (by non-vapers) always be viewed as an analog replacement, or will it eventually be viewed as its own entity or experience.

It is my hope that one day vaping will viewed as its own thing, that adults choose to do, rather than a replacement for cigarettes. I know that I am already working in that direction by always saying vape (instead of smoking or e-smoking...there is no smoke unless my PV is about to catastrophically fail), and Personal Vaporizer or simply "Pee Vee" (instead of e-cigarette). I confused a neighbor once when I was talking to him about it and thought I said "peeve" strangely--I had to tell him it was P. and V. like TV. He had a laugh about that. This will only happen if or when the majority of the vaping community decide to drop calling the devices e-cigarettes, e-pipes and so forth.

3. Could impressionable types (please dont take offense if this is you) turn to vaping for the cool factor or buzz much the same way we might have with analogs.

There is a certain percentage of the population who will do dumb things, like smoking--I smoked for 20 years it was the worst mistake of my life. If someone is taking up vaping to look "cool" they have the option of vaping 0mg juice, 0 nicotine tobacco doesn't exist. So there are those who can vape to "be cool" and not develop an addiction to nicotine. I think that this is a non-issue though. Most people that I've seen vaping around here seem to be at least 25 years old and most are in their 30s. I don't think there is a cool factor for kids, so discussing it without a connection being demonstrated is a waste of time.

That said, if someone wants to use nicotine, and they are an adult, then given the choice between vaping or smoking, they would be better off vaping.

4. I think vaping is cost prohibitive for teens etc, but could that take mommy and daddy's PV and sit around with their friends passing it around.

That is a parenting problem, not a business regulation problem or a cultural problem. That said, if that is the worst that teenagers are doing, I'd be relieved. I was stealing other things from my parents when I was that age--things with much worse health consequences.

5. Would non-vapers be curious to experiment - I mean I think most people can figure out what happens when someone pulls out the mall kiosk cig-look-alike, but what if someone pulls out a Darwin. Would people be inclined to try vaping for the sake of vaping?

Every non-smoker that I've encountered that was interested in vaping belonged to three classes of people. A. ANTZ who are looking for something to have a hissy fit about. B. A person who has an underlying problem that they think vaping may help them with. C. A non-smoker who thinks it may be a means by which a smoker they know (family member, friend, spouse, etc) can quit smoking.

I have gotten the random question about "is that like smoking?" from non-smokers too. I of course tell them it is not like smoking, its better. Because thats the truth.

Unhooked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2012
Michigan USA
Every non-smoker that I've encountered that was interested in vaping belonged to three classes of people. A. ANTZ who are looking for something to have a hissy fit about. B. A person who has an underlying problem that they think vaping may help them with. C. A non-smoker who thinks it may be a means by which a smoker they know (family member, friend, spouse, etc) can quit smoking.

I am no doubt the exception. I vape because I really enjoyed smoking but had successfully quit cold turkey (after many tries) almost five years ago. I started vaping 0-nic because I enjoy the "smoke". Not as pleasurable as smoking (or vaping nic probably) but the freedom to put it down for a couple days if I want to is terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread