Cart Mod for better refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

maria

Mar 22, 2009
I use rn4075 & sd for vaping. If I wanted to have big amount of vapor I had to top up very frequently 2-3 drops to my cart.
I wanted to try this method, but I was a little worried about the plastic straw melting with the heat.
So, I used a rather fat needle from a syringe, which I cut with a knife. It must be fat because a thin one might get stuck from the liquid. It also worked as a nail, since with a little pressure it got stuck to the bottom plastic of the cart.
Now I constantly have huge amount of vapor, as if I just topped up the cart. Also, being metallic, I am not afraid of it melting.
Thank you for this great tip!!!

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
A large syringe needle should be a good choice. These would be stainless steel?? I have a monster one that is used for injecting marinades in meat...hmmm. It also has a few side holes instead of just one at the bottom. Time to get out the dremel and cut it off.

Yet another thing destined for destruction and offering up to the e-gods.;) At least I don't have to go running out and buy one, LOL.

I think there are concerns about putting some kinds of metals in the carts... someone posted about putting in a spring from an ink pen (conducting a bit more heat, keeping the stuffing rigid) and they mentioned that you shouldn't use anything nickel coated (leaching?). Ink pen cartridges, air pump valves etc. may not be a good choice due to the type of metal. Probably would be a good idea to search the forum to see if there are specific types of metals that shouldn't be used?

dmmiller360

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
New Bern, NC
I did this to my 901 cartridge to see how it would do, it's fantastic, can't wait to try it on my 801, battery is dead and my passthrough quit working yesterday, ugh, so now have to wait for my one battery to charge back up, can't wait to get my new battery and just ordered the PS passthrough, really can't wait for that, it looks great.

Thanks for the cart mod,
Debra

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I changed to just dripping because I thought a cart reduced the airflow making for harder draws. So I thought maybe this would make the draw easier and I could go back to carts.

I had no coffee stirrers, but I found q-tips that had the plastic blue tube. Cut that to 5/8" and tapered the end and inserted it into a cart for my Dura-C.

WOWSIE! Much easier draw and less frequent topping-off.

I bow to you opusMorian - thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited:

VaporMatt

May 15, 2009
Ohio
I'm a newbie and was really disappointed with my blank cartridges on my 901. About six drops of liquid and it would pool....and was good for about four good hits then dropping off to nothing really quick. As soon as I read about the air bubble in the bottom of the cartridge I thought "duh"...lol So I used the paper clip to shove the fluff away from one side and started counting drops....17 went in! Since then I've noticed if I push the fluff down just a bit....it compresses the fibers and seems to wick really well....top ups are 6-8 drops. I let it pool at the top (not much different than dripping) and my 901 smokes and smokes and smokes! I've really noticed a difference by pushing the fluff down a bit making it more "dense" and wicking to the atomizer much better. Thanks for this thread or I would still be topping up with four drops making six puffs...lol

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Just cut up some extra tubing that I have for rc antennas. works like a freaking champ. My tube is a bit thick though compared to a straw. awesome.

>

I don't know how much help this will be because it may be difficult to obtain for most. But, I work in the Fire Safety industry with teflon coated wires. The insulation is designed not to burn for obvious reasons. Teflon coated wire is available rated at 150 degrees centigrade. And, it comes in an array of sizes. Seems to me that 16 gauge (about half that of a coffee stirrer) might suit this purpose nicely. Now, I can't wait to get back to work -- sort of. <g>

Last edited:
I tried with a two hole stirrer straw inside a 510 cart and connected to a 901. I also used a serrated knife to cut some ridges in the 510 cart and it snaps on real tight this way. Overall I would have to say that a 510 cart with this mod on a 901 is a real improvement to the 901. I'm getting a lighter draw, more vapor, easier to refill, and less time before I have to refill the cart, or at least less juice at the bottom / middle of the filler material when it is time to refill. Thanks again for the great idea / mod.

FRESH x913x

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Canon city, CO
someone at the start of this thread was worried about burning the plastic tube. and suggested using a metal tube. this is called a horse needle and can be found at feed stores and other places. i get them from a jargon store. they have all kinds of different crap. gifts, booze, groceries. and a pharmacy. can get these for about 75 cents. and in different sizes. just a heads up if they hear the word piercings AT ALL they wont sell to you. at least where i live they wont.

HorseNeedleOpened.jpg

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I have the Fifty one and the mini cigarette. They are two piece. One is the battery and the other the atomizer and cartridge that holds the liquid and looks like the filter of a regular cig. There is a small hole centered on this part. Is this used to insert the liquid. I'm just getting started at this so all suggestions will be mostly appreciated.

Bubba Gump

Jun 2, 2009
North Hollywood
I tried this mod, seems to work fairly well. I used a q-tip straw. You have to get the length of the tube just right though, too long and it will hit the atomizer, too short and it will get covered by the wool. i find that as far as refilling, it is better to squeeze the dropper right into the tube rather than on the wool. It acts as a syringe and the fluid goes right to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread