Chuck Maintenance

Discussion in 'Thag Built / The Chuck' started by phelmon, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. phelmon

phelmon Moved On

So for all of us newbie chuckleheads, why don't some of you old timers unwrap your mouth from your chucks and share your maintenance and beauty secrets?

2. Houdini

Houdini Ultra Member ECF Veteran

None required here except to clean the connector with a paper towel every now and then. That's all I do.

3. paulspikey

paulspikey Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

My chuck goes to work with me every day and gets beat the hell up and it still vapes like a steamroller. But yes you do have to clean the connector every now and then especially if you are a sloppy over-dripper like myself.

4. Jules22871

Jules22871 Moved On ECF Veteran

Once a week I use a cotton swab with a little alcohol and clean the connector and the threads on the battery end cap. Once a month I get out the Brasso and clean brass end caps. I wipe the body down every couple of days with an old clean sock to keep it all nice and shiny. Yes, I baby my Chuck.

5. jeffakamax

jeffakamax Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

The end caps are clear-coated... Unless you have brass-o-ed it off. Which I highly doubt.

Clean the connector occasionally, and give it a waxing if you are feeling saucy. Any automotive grade wax/polish will work fine.

I use meguiars Plast-X. The Powder coat is technically a polymer so it works great.

[​IMG]

6. Jules22871

Jules22871 Moved On ECF Veteran

Thanks Jeff! We use a lot of Meguire products on our leathers and on the bike. I didn't even think about using it on my Harley Chuck. That is just so fitting!

7. crashtestjeep

crashtestjeep Vaping Master ECF Veteran

THE ONE thing I tell ANYONE when they ask what PV of mine is the most maintenence free is "get a Chuck" - NO Maintenence required...unless u count wiping the connector once in a while...but thats a given ;) I figured this thread wouldnt say much more :D

Im sure most of you know I have a PV obsession....and the Chuck remains #1!!!! Guess thats why I have 3 Chucks and only 1 of the other guys ;)

8. phelmon

phelmon Moved On

I have read most of the forums and knew there was little maintenance required but I thought it would be good for lurkers and new folks to see. Go to any other mod board and you see tons of issues or maintenance suggestions and it is good to see there isn't much required on the Chucks!

I currently have a loner from a friend (great friend, huh) which I have been using for a few weeks but I have finally ordered my own little chuck and will probably get a big chuck after that. It seems my great friend has limits and is wanting his little chuck back soon!

9. grabeard

grabeard Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanx Jef, great to know. Will purchase very soon.

10. Poeia

Poeia Bird Brain Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  11. Poeia

Supporting member
    Thought I'd give this thread a little bump.

12. AmyB66

AmyB66 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Glad you did, I have some plastic autopolish stuff, can't remember the name, it's Mother's. Just what my one chuck needs after the abuse I gave it this weekend!

13. crashtestjeep

crashtestjeep Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Peoia's advice is great advice abt that little contact screw...its just that...to make contact! :)

Also, if you want to give ur threads some extra grease, noalox works great, but by NO means nessacary. ;) Just helps keep em smooth. Its an anti seizure for metal on metal but only needed when two like metals are used. The Chuck is brass and copper, so no worries on it ever seizing up! :thumbs:

14. Poeia

Supporting member
    Not my advice. Jeff posted it somewhere -- probably the Saturday thread. So, while we were collecting maintenance tips I threw that in.

15. AmyB66

AmyB66 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I didn't realize that about the noalox stuff. I got some, based on some tip/trick video and the guy used a chuck. I haven't checked back recently but I think he needs to be corrected.
    Regardless, it does make for a smoother screw, but then again, so do alot of products.

16. Poeia

Supporting member
  17. Poeia

Supporting member
    My favorite hardware store and Home Depot both said "huh" when I asked for Noalox. I don't need it, but I will buy it eventually. A little couldn't hurt.

Question: I assume it is toxic which means it can't be used on the connector threads, right?

~~~~~
    Trying to keep all the maintenance info together so, when a n00b asks we can point him/her to this nice, short thread and say "Read this. Your question has been asked and answered."

(I'm not trying to get everyone to ask their questions in this thread. It's nice that it so uncluttered. I'm just dragging a copy of the answers over.)

So, here are Jeff's comments on brand new Chucks that randomly misfire (and on his his e-mails.)

18. panderson01

panderson01 Super Member ECF Veteran

I guess that I've had my Chuck for 6-8 months or so, I don't remember, maybe longer.

Here is my maintenance program:

Fill atty with juice, vape, repeat. I do this constantly and feel that this is what keeps my Chuck running smooth ;)

19. panderson01

panderson01 Super Member ECF Veteran

Oh, and I forgot, replace batteries once a day!

20. doots

doots Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Do not use on connectors at all.. unless you want a short..
    it is made by ideal corp. that might help find it,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.