Clapton Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLaughlin47

Jul 24, 2015
Been doing all the research about the Clapton coil. Most times, videos would show the coil being made with a lower gauge center wire wrapped with higher gauge wire.

Can't seem to find anything on whether its possible to use the same gauge of wire (ie. 28) for both the wires. Or would this defeat the purpose? Can someone elaborate? Thanks.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
The trick is to increase your surface area without putting so much metal in it that it needs 200W to fire and 30 seconds to cool down. I have a pair that's 28 wrapped with 32. I built 6 wraps @ 1/4" ID and it takes AT LEAST 80W to fire it. And they continue to sizzle for several seconds after I let go of the button. The flavor is good though and it makes fog. It can burn through 1.5mL in a single puff!
claptons.jpg

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
Generally you want the core wire to heat up the outside wire. You COULD use same gauges in both cases but it would take ages to heat up and would be a pain in the ... to wrap.
While it probably doesn't defeat the purpose I do believe that the outcome would be meh/10 and can't find any good reason to do that.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Claptons are cool looking and they seem to make for a great vape, but Im not sure I like the trade off for the longer cool down time. I take pretty big hits off my straight coils and Ive come close a few times to dry burning without factoring in a cool down time. I use high VG and I am meticulous with my wicks so Im assuming that more metal with a longer cool down time is just going to have me rewicking every 3 puffs lol.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
I would like to make a confession here. I have Clapton coils that I purchased on eBay. Everyone can start smacking me with sticks now. Wanted to try them but too lazy to build them. I love making regular coils and even tried twisted, but this just seemed like too much.

I do like them, but cool down is pretty long.

Tonkpils

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2015
Ontario
I would like to make a confession here. I have Clapton coils that I purchased on eBay. Everyone can start smacking me with sticks now. Wanted to try them but too lazy to build them. I love making regular coils and even tried twisted, but this just seemed like too much.

I do like them, but cool down is pretty long.

I bought a 15ft roll from UD my self for basically the same reason.

claptonwire_1.jpg

You shouldn't be slapped... but here's some advice: You can make your own Claptons for a fraction of the cost of a prebuilt coil, at least from what I've seen. Prebuilt Claptons that I've seen at B&M's run between $12 and $20. And that's for two coils! I can buy a 15 foot spool of 22 gauge Anarchist Wire for around $20, and a spool of regular Kanthal A-1 32 gauge (I don't remember how many feet comes on a spool) for $8. For single core Claptons (the basic Clapton) I trim a 10 inch piece of the 22g, wrap it with the 32g, and get two coils from it (Five wraps around a 2.4 mm screwdriver, my coils come out to around .18 ohms). If my math is right, that'll give me 32 Basic Clapton coils for $28.

Reactions: Denvap0r

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Additionally, for those new to clapton building: You don't necessarily need your higher gauge wire to be trapped inside the post holes of your atomizer. The outer wrap will conduct the electricity and heat up just as long as it's making contact with the core of the coil.

I was wondering why people kept complaining about Claptons not fitting. I theorized about doing exactly that, nice to know it works!

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
You shouldn't be slapped... but here's some advice: You can make your own Claptons for a fraction of the cost of a prebuilt coil, at least from what I've seen. Prebuilt Claptons that I've seen at B&M's run between $12 and $20. And that's for two coils! I can buy a 15 foot spool of 22 gauge Anarchist Wire for around $20, and a spool of regular Kanthal A-1 32 gauge (I don't remember how many feet comes on a spool) for $8. For single core Claptons (the basic Clapton) I trim a 10 inch piece of the 22g, wrap it with the 32g, and get two coils from it (Five wraps around a 2.4 mm screwdriver, my coils come out to around .18 ohms). If my math is right, that'll give me 32 Basic Clapton coils for $28.

That is good info, but I only paid about $5 for 4 could plus they threw in 2 twisted. Construction was very nice and they all measured exactly .8 ohms. I was actually impressed at the quality of these coils for the price because if I had built them they would not have performed or looked this good. I know my limitations.

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
That is good info, but I only paid about $5 for 4 could plus they threw in 2 twisted. Construction was very nice and they all measured exactly .8 ohms. I was actually impressed at the quality of these coils for the price because if I had built them they would not have performed or looked this good. I know my limitations.

They are much easier than you think. With a drill those things are practically wrapping themselves, you're just feeding the wire onto the core. You should give it a shot one day.
I for once love to wrap those little .......s, satisfying work for some reason.

McLaughlin47

Jul 24, 2015
Sorry for the late reply. Looking through the response, it seems that the general consensus is for it to have a proper ramp up and cool down time, which explains the different gauges when building.

Can anyone also share about ohm readings? Possible to achieve 1 ohms and above? (assuming not sub ohming) or is it not effective to not subohm with claptons.

ThatGuyIvory

Jul 23, 2015
Warsaw, Poland
Sorry for the late reply. Looking through the response, it seems that the general consensus is for it to have a proper ramp up and cool down time, which explains the different gauges when building.

Can anyone also share about ohm readings? Possible to achieve 1 ohms and above? (assuming not sub ohming) or is it not effective to not subohm with claptons.
I think You would either have to use a pretty thin wire, in which case wrapping the outside (which has to be smaller) might be a huge pain, or will have to do quite some more wraps, which in the other hand (given that clapton wire is fairly thick) would result in a huge coil. I'll let others speak their minds though as I might be missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread