Clapton coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that clapton coils produce greater flavour and vapour compared with normal single wire coils.
I would like to try 'wrapping' these coils myself to use in an RTA/RBA. What should I be aware of? are there any particular rules to follow? how different/difficult are they to wrap, wick and use?
Is it possible to use at less than 1.0 ohm as I usually make my single wire coils to around 0.4 ohms

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
If you are going to be making the clapton wire yourself, some things to follow to do so.

1) Drill to turn the core wire with and to anchor the outer wrap wire with
2) Swivels, I generally use more pricey ball bearing fishing line swivels to anchor the free end of the core wire to and allow it to spin freely while keeping tension on the wire, something to mount these swivels to, block, vise, vise clamp, I generally use 4 swivels in a linked chain, if one swivel siezes up, the other 3 will continue to spin
3) Your preference on wire, personally I use Nichrome80 as my core wire, 26 or 24awg, with 30, 32, 34, or 36awg as my wrapping wire, can be kanthal or NiChr60/80, keeping my core NiChr80, being the core does all the heating, the quicker ramp up helps here.
4) Optional - Have a mount for my spool of wrap wire so I use only as much as I need, feed right off the spool
5) Optional - I use a pair of offset smooth jaw needle nose pliers to keep tension on the wrapping wire held against the spinning core wire, keeps my hand away from the core wire due to the offset, another option is a plastic clamp on the wrap wire perpendicular to the core wire, this keeps proper tension on the wrapping wire to stay tight.

Just start feeding slowly and gradually speed up once you notice the wrap wire is tight, contacting the previous wrap like a micro/macro contact coil looking like a guitar string. Trim off the ends once wrapped, cut the new wire to length, then wrap your coils. Fused claptons can have 2 or 3 core wires, takes a little more work post spinning the wire to flatten out. Claptons, especially fused claptons take a lot of power and ohm out pretty low. But yes, all claptons create tremendous vapor and flavor due to all the liquid to wire contact, at the core wire, in between the core and wrap, and the wrap wire. Mass of wire means more watts to push them, inner core heats everything, outer wrap wire makes 75% of the vapor and flavor doing all the work. My basic dual coil claptons at 24awg core, 32awg wrap, 2.5 to 3mm inner diameter, 6wrap Ohm out to around .35 to .4ohms I push at about 70watts.

Reactions: Continuity

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
How about wattage? I run a single cell 18650 mod, is that powerful enough for a clapton coil in subox mini type RBA tank? if I build at say 0.5 ohms anything else to consider? Oh ..I use 70/30 vg/pg liquid.
It's doable - but pushing it if you're wanting to try many of the really fancy heavy-iron coil types...

Your battery life will plummet, and your juice consumption will skyrocket.

Reactions: IMFire3605
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread