Cleaning cotton coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigOlNoob

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Ohio
Ive been using a cleito 120 for over a year now and have been burning through coil heads. Ive run hundreds of different juices and flavors through it and my juice always seems to start turning brown within a few fillups. I cant stand the flavor from gunked coils so I find myself changing them often. Is it possible to clean the gunk and reuse coils? Ive seen a method where you can run water through them but I'm hesitant to how effective that would be. I also heard water pressure can seperate the cotton and cause leaks. The other method would be soaking the coil in a water/solvent solution. People apparently use vodka or isopropyl. I have some 90% iso but im concerned that even leaving it out to dry overnight could result in a strange alcohol tast on that first inhale. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning coils?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Pre-made coils are not made to be cleaned and in my experience it's a waste of time. Pre-made coil heads can sometimes be rebuilt (as filled with a new coil and cotton), but it's fiddly and results are usually mixed. Cotton denatures with vaping and even if you able to clean it in situ and remove the solvent (doubtful) it's not going to wick properly. Also it's unlikely that you will be able to remove all the residue from the coil.

You are much better off getting an atomizer designed to be rebuilt like an RDA or an RTA. Rewicking a coil you built in one of these systems takes minutes and coils last for months.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Boil'em for 20 minutes or so. The Kanger OCC's I use in my Subtank Mini have held up great doing this. The Mini comes with an RBA deck, but I haven't touched it. The two coils that came with the tank are still going after about a week and right about 60ml of my ADV's.

I'll see how they work next week.

I have two five-piece coil packs in the gadget box. If those hold up like these do, 2 weeks x 10 coils = reorder coils for Christmas.

It really depends on the juice makeup and your juice consumption. Alas, some juices are made to funk up the coil and I'm bound to fall in love with one of'em...

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I was going through SSOCC coils every other day with a couple of my sweet juices. Using the RBA has saved me much monies and once you get the hang of building, it's not so bad at all. I used to clean my coils in vodka after a tap water rinse, but that didn't work out to well and now if I clean them I'll let them soak in distilled water for 24 hours.

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I'm gonna echo everyone who's saying to get a rebuildable before you bother with this. Seriously. Even if you don't want to build, you can buy pre-made coils to install. IMO rebuildables are essential for those who switch flavors often, make their own juice, etc. You may prefer a tank to a dripper, doesn't really matter, either will do the trick.

As @sonicbomb said, the real issue is that this never works how you want it to. Even if you could get the coil spotlessly clean, which is doubtful even with the best methods, it's going to continue to go downhill in vape quality. With an RDA or RTA, you just take the cotton out, [optional] dry burn/clean coils, and rewick. Good to go and works as well as it should.

Just think on it.

Otherwise, if you're determined to clean out these coils, I'd strongly suggest going straight to the best and safest option, which sounds to be an ultrasonic cleaner.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Ive been using a cleito 120 for over a year now and have been burning through coil heads. Ive run hundreds of different juices and flavors through it and my juice always seems to start turning brown within a few fillups. I cant stand the flavor from gunked coils so I find myself changing them often. Is it possible to clean the gunk and reuse coils? Ive seen a method where you can run water through them but I'm hesitant to how effective that would be. I also heard water pressure can seperate the cotton and cause leaks. The other method would be soaking the coil in a water/solvent solution. People apparently use vodka or isopropyl. I have some 90% iso but im concerned that even leaving it out to dry overnight could result in a strange alcohol tast on that first inhale. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning coils?
I wouldn't use isopropyl alcohol that's poison. Maybe some of the suggestions here will help clean the cotton but I doubt anything will get the baked on juice off the coil. Even everclear didn't work for me. Like you, my tolerance for a gunked coil and darkened juice is low so I just resolved myself to replacing coils frequently until I started rebuilding all my coils. As far as brushing a coil clean I can wind a new coil in a minute so why bother. I have tanks that take Ego one Rebuildable CLR coils and rebuild 10 at a time with SS and Cotton Bacon V2, and some Kayfun clone RBAs. Nothing beats a fresh new SS coil and wick every other day for pennies and a little weekend time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonskibon

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You are definitely better off with a rba style tank. Building the coils is just as easy as going thru all that attempt at cleaning prebuilt coils.

I use the Subtank with the RBA. Clean the tank and remove the cotton wicking once a week, burn junk off coil and replace with fresh cotton. Takes only a few minutes. Coil gets changed after a month but could be used longer.

It would be better to rebuild factory coils than to try and clean the coil and wicking. I use some of the Kanger T3s carts for some higher nic sweet stuff I like. I just take the factory coils apart, build a new coil with 32 gauge kanthal at around 1.4 ohm and wick with cotton. Recoiled they last longer than the factory build and can be rebuilt 5 to 10 times before you have to toss them.

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
Hey,
It didn't work for me. With running hot water my coil's cotton displaced and with vodka over night I got very clean and nice looking coils but in work, that nasty taste was there like it never get cleaned.

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
Yup. Try ultrasonic jewery cleaners I did and it works

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Hey
I watch some video about that but in their video they always clean their tanks. Is this method really clean cotton coils? what is your coils type and can you please describe your process?
Is it necessary to fill Ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and how long coils need to be in there.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Hey
I watch some video about that but in their video they always clean their tanks. Is this method really clean cotton coils? what is your coils type and can you please describe your process?
Is it necessary to fill Ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and how long coils need to be in there.
Of course it is necessary to fill the UC with water. I clean all types of coils factory made. Rarely use them though RTA is my preference. I clean my tanks as well. Coils time varies from 30 mins + depends how gunked they are. Tanks about 45 mins. Remember it is necessary to thoroughly dry them after cleaning.

Reactions: eMado

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
Of course it is necessary to fill the UC with water. I clean all types of coils factory made. Rarely use them though RTA is my preference. I clean my tanks as well. Coils time varies from 30 mins + depends how gunked they are. Tanks about 45 mins. Remember it is necessary to thoroughly dry them after cleaning.

Thanks man, Is it necessary to water be hot or room temp water is okay too?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks man, Is it necessary to water be hot or room temp water is okay too?
The UC may have a heater, so having access to hot water may not be crucial.
Most folks find hot water cleans better than cold water.
Distilled water won't leave mineral deposits.

Follow your heart.
I

eMado

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2017
Tehran
The UC may have a heater, so having access to hot water may not be crucial.
Most folks find hot water cleans better than cold water.
Distilled water won't leave mineral deposits.

Follow your heart.
I
My UC have not heater option, I will use hot water instead. Thanks for advice

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread