Converting to E Cigs with regards to Nicotine content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
No edit button on the above so I have to add here:

I think people should count how many inhales they actually have on an analog cigarette, the way I've tried to do.

Two problems I am having with going overboard on e-smoking are that with an analog you know when you are done because

a: the cigarette gets stronger as you get nearer to the end and you get more of the 'ashtray mouth' (and unfortunately ironically e-cigs don't give you this 'about time to wrap up' getting stronger thing)

b: (and the real one I really noticed) the obvious that the cigarette is burnt out, you're done, you've butted the thing out (which is why I used to go at an analog so intensely making so many inhales.. I would smoke the crap out of a cigarette, get my ashtray mouth, know I was done and then be able to not smoke another for an hour/couple of hours etc) -- we don't get any of those signallers -- its like of like the very cigarette version of the 'after meal you're all done eating now' signaller that analogs give to tell you to stop eating/feel finished -- but that same sort of problem with the very 'smoking' itself now -- there just is no 'I had a whole cigarette I'm done now" thing there.

c: taste -- it kills me that at 24mg with the Johnson Creek stuff I got (and maybe I just got a bum jug of it, maybe I should have shaken it up more in the beginning of it and forgot, I don't know) but most of the time I can barely get a taste hit off of it, in any of my e cigs (m401's, 901 or my two 510's -- more likely with the m401's but I might be tasting the sweet and stronger factory 'tobacco' they came with)

so I sit here nursing this very powerful e-cigarette, logic tells me so I am knowing even as I do I am getting too much nicotine, even getting slightly sore lungs and throat (because I DO inhale just like an analog, sometimes successfully getting 'dragon nostrils' on exhale which is very satisfying in its own right).... but mostly I'm not tasting a darned thing... so I smoke until something hurts and my chest starts to flutter etc

because the rest of me says "what the hell was that? you got nothing do it again" due to this lack of taste reward.

and I'm not sure I'd do any better at a lower mg... wondered if at a lower mg especially now (with my oddly weak tasting jc original... which I think is either a fluke of the bottle or of me since its so highly recommented and others can taste them so well it seems) if I'd manage to go at it even harder, draining carts all the faster, etc sorta like a monkey pressing a lever.

I'm planning on trying to work out a sort of DIY e-liquid using soaked real tobacco for the e-liquid's parts. I have read elsewhere that if this is done 'wrong' you get 'tastes like ashtray' but I'm not so sure that would be entirely bad (maybe a taste, even a crappy taste that is remniscent of the "okay at least we're done' taste might be some sort of satisfying/ a completion signaller in its own way (but I am just guessing, seeing as I've never tasted anyone's e-liquid made from tobacco and not had the 'ashtray taste' from them people talk about and will have to wait and see once I get the remainder PG ingredient I need, get some tobacco soaked in it and have all this read to start experimenting and trying it out for myself).

carpe diem

Sep 9, 2009
Spring, TX
No edit button on the above so I have to add here:

I think people should count how many inhales they actually have on an analog cigarette, the way I've tried to do.

Two problems I am having with going overboard on e-smoking are that with an analog you know when you are done because

a: the cigarette gets stronger as you get nearer to the end and you get more of the 'ashtray mouth' (and unfortunately ironically e-cigs don't give you this 'about time to wrap up' getting stronger thing)

b: (and the real one I really noticed) the obvious that the cigarette is burnt out, you're done, you've butted the thing out (which is why I used to go at an analog so intensely making so many inhales.. I would smoke the crap out of a cigarette, get my ashtray mouth, know I was done and then be able to not smoke another for an hour/couple of hours etc) -- we don't get any of those signallers -- its like of like the very cigarette version of the 'after meal you're all done eating now' signaller that analogs give to tell you to stop eating/feel finished -- but that same sort of problem with the very 'smoking' itself now -- there just is no 'I had a whole cigarette I'm done now" thing there.

c: taste -- it kills me that at 24mg with the Johnson Creek stuff I got (and maybe I just got a bum jug of it, maybe I should have shaken it up more in the beginning of it and forgot, I don't know) but most of the time I can barely get a taste hit off of it, in any of my e cigs (m401's, 901 or my two 510's -- more likely with the m401's but I might be tasting the sweet and stronger factory 'tobacco' they came with)

so I sit here nursing this very powerful e-cigarette, logic tells me so I am knowing even as I do I am getting too much nicotine, even getting slightly sore lungs and throat (because I DO inhale just like an analog, sometimes successfully getting 'dragon nostrils' on exhale which is very satisfying in its own right).... but mostly I'm not tasting a darned thing... so I smoke until something hurts and my chest starts to flutter etc

because the rest of me says "what the hell was that? you got nothing do it again" due to this lack of taste reward.

and I'm not sure I'd do any better at a lower mg... wondered if at a lower mg especially now (with my oddly weak tasting jc original... which I think is either a fluke of the bottle or of me since its so highly recommented and others can taste them so well it seems) if I'd manage to go at it even harder, draining carts all the faster, etc sorta like a monkey pressing a lever.

I'm planning on trying to work out a sort of DIY e-liquid using soaked real tobacco for the e-liquid's parts. I have read elsewhere that if this is done 'wrong' you get 'tastes like ashtray' but I'm not so sure that would be entirely bad (maybe a taste, even a crappy taste that is remniscent of the "okay at least we're done' taste might be some sort of satisfying/ a completion signaller in its own way (but I am just guessing, seeing as I've never tasted anyone's e-liquid made from tobacco and not had the 'ashtray taste' from them people talk about and will have to wait and see once I get the remainder PG ingredient I need, get some tobacco soaked in it and have all this read to start experimenting and trying it out for myself).
It took about 2-3 weeks before I started liking the JC original. I've not found anything that tastes exactly like an analog...which I was really hoping for in the beginning and that probably explains why the different tasting vapor seemed to be lacking. Now I prefer vaping and the JC original really tastes good to me.

After vaping for almost 2 months now, I don't even carry a pack of cigs anymore...just a couple batts, attys and a small bottle of juice. I did have a Marlboro last week when both my batts ran out at a bar. I was actually a little excited to smoke the "real thing" again, but I really didn't enjoy it (never thought I'd say that!). When I got home I filled up a fresh cart, put on a charged batt and enjoyed a very satisfying 2:00 a.m. "nite-cap" vape.

I also noticed my throat and lungs have become more sensitive since I've quit the analogs. Now, when I hit on my e, it feels and tastes much more like a cig than it did in the beginning. I'm getting that feeling of satisfaction and the strong throat hit associated with smoking.

I'm waiting on several different tobacco flavored juices to arrive so I can see if there's anything else that I would like. JC Tennessee cured is good too, but tastes very similar to the original. I don't think any of the "sweet" sounding flavors would do it for me, but many people seem to love 'em. I also cut my juice with 30% VG now- it does increase the vapor output.

Anyone have a tobacco flavored juice they would recommend? I'll post my "reviews" after I try the new flavors.

Keep it up and give it time- it changed my life.

End_User-X

Sep 24, 2009
Louisiana
So there must be some other ingredient in cigarettes that gets you 'high'??? Because taking a puff off a cigarette, you get a much stronger buzz than with the e-cig and I use 24 and 36 mg e-cigs.

anyone know?

Sorry, I skipped about 10 pages to make some aware that may not be, and to kind of answer this question. Analog manufacturers make what is called "freebase nicotine" to make us all much more addicted to their product. It's like "crack nicotine". Regular analogs are much more addictive then just the nic that's extracted from the tobacco leaf.

Freebase Nicotine – The Cigarette Drug | Revellian

bothwiner

Moved On
Jan 9, 2010
China
  • Deleted by Timtam

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Ok, I did read the first 10 pages and then the last one here. I suppose this probably got covered but... just in case :). Please forgive my laziness (I like to think of it as a lack of time).

[disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, chemist, or in any way qualified to speak to this]
There were some really large assumptions in the beginning. Some of those got discussed and some glossed over and some completely missed.

Asorbtion rate, analog vs vapor. analog is smoke. That's different than vapor which is droplets of liquid. I have no idea of the relative size of the pertinent smoke particles opposed to droplets of liquid in the context of getting absorbed through your membranes in your mouth, throat and lungs. They're also a completely different medium right? I would just assume smoke to have a lot more gasses involved.

Nicotine in this form could be a lot different than nicotine in that form. Even if the measure of the amount of nicotine was the same the delivery method could have a huge effect. Along with that, WHAT is delivered with could also have a huge effect -- chemical reactions/enhancements/suppressions etc.

So those were just ancilliary thoughts. What came to mind is this: People are comparing to analog. I'm under the impression that heavy smokers (and there is a cumulative factor) have reduced the capacity of their lungs. not only in volume but in the efficiency with which they can absorb or pass certain things. Primarily oxygen but I assume that would apply to most other stuff as well... like nicotine. So if a heavy smoker has coated their lungs (AND nicotine vapor is absorbed primarily though the lungs) then their absorbtion rate could be very different from a light or short term smoker? So, generally speaking, increasing the nicotine level in the juice may not be linear. If you figure you smoked 10 analogs a day so you need 6mg juice it may not follow that if you smoked 20 analog a day you would expect to need 12mg juice. You might need 18 or 24mg juice simply because your lungs aren't as efficient at absorbing it. Just a thought.

Burnt-Toast

Mar 20, 2010
Chicagoland
Not sure if this has been posted here before but you can find your previous analog brand's nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide output by clicking on the alphabetized links at the top of this page:

ehteeteepee:// www "dot" erowid "dot" org "forward slash" plants/tobacco/tobacco_nic "dot" shtml

Burnt-Toast

sorry, can't post proper URLs yet

snax

Jul 6, 2010
Vancouver, CA
I've just filled up my first cart today, trying to workout the nicotine content. From what I read this is how the math roughly breaks down.

10 ml bottle of 24mg = 10ml(x)24mg=240mg [total in bottle]

let's say there's 24 drops to the ml, 1 drop = 1mg of nic
(this varies somewhat but lets round off)

I add 4 drops to my cartridge, vaping 2 cart per day

So I would have only consumed 8mg of nicotine (roughly 8 analogs)?

On a side note, my first bottle was tobacco flavored and to be honest something sweeter would be so much more fun.

Last edited:

SirVette

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Texas
I've just filled up my first cart today, trying to workout the nicotine content. From what I read this is how the math roughly breaks down.

10 ml bottle of 24mg = 10ml(x)24mg=240mg [total in bottle]

let's say there's 24 drops to the ml, 1 drop = 1mg of nic
(this varies somewhat but lets round off)

I add 4 drops to my cartridge, vaping 2 cart per day

So I would have only consumed 8mg of nicotine (roughly 8 analogs)?

On a side note, my first bottle was tobacco flavored and to be honest something sweeter would be so much more fun.
No, you may only be taking in 10% .8+ so it would be much closer
to 1 cig!

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Ok... sadly I skipped over a bunch of this stuff because I'm lazy- if I'm repeating anything please feel free to ignore or make fun of me.

First, the delivery of nicotine from a cigarette is completely different than from vaping. A cigarette carries a large part of it's nicotine bound to ash and smoke byproducts which are PARTICULATE- or in other words little particles. A number of those little particles get deposited onto the surface of your lungs, and the nicotine leaches off of them into your blood stream.

It's important to also understand that as those particulates (smoke particles) adhere to the inside of the lung... nicotine continues to be leached until the nicotine is gone, or the particle is expelled or broken down by the body.

Second, and e-cigarette produces vapor, which contains liquid nicotine. The absorption is different and there is no ash. Just PG/VG and nicotine.

My point is that, anecdotally speaking, the absorption rate should be far lower from a mist versus smoke.

I say should... because I don't have any scientific information at the moment that would back it up (haven't researched it). But based on what I do know- my view of how this works is very likely.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
There are great threads on this in the respective forum, however you should consider that the amount of nic delivered (and the very process itself) by an e-cig is radically different from that of a traditional smoke. On one hand nic from vapor does not reach the lungs and works its way into your body slower than in analogs; working its way out the same way. Then, remember the amount of nic labeled on cigs is according to general measurement of nicotine absorved by average intake of cigarette; ie. the amount of nic your body gets out of one cig. In the case of e-liquid the nicotine labeled refers to nicotine solution in substance, NOT absorved which is much less...
Do not worry about amounts, simply guide yourself by trying to adapt; if you go way over on your intake your body will let you know; there is a subconcious matching process to it. You'll see.
The liquid in one drop (average drop; neither 'large' nor tiny...) is 0,025 ml. so will contain 40 times less nicotine than a ml. EG if the solution consists of 1,6 per cent nic per ml. (16 mg._ml.) then, you'll get 0,04 percentage of nic in one drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread