Cotton sheet wrapped around SS mesh as wick: eliminate worrying about hotspots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Has anyone tried wrapping their SS mesh wicks with some kind of cotton fabric and coiling over them? I think it might take a lot of the fuss of wicking and wiring out of the equation and provide an even surface for the goods to vape.

the only slight issue with this will be when you do a dry burn to clean the wick, at this point the cotton might burn away. i have done something similar with a ceramic wick and found that the cotton will get gunked up alot quicker then just the wick olone

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Has anyone tried wrapping their SS mesh wicks with some kind of cotton fabric and coiling over them? I think it might take a lot of the fuss of wicking and wiring out of the equation and provide an even surface for the goods to vape.

the only slight issue with this will be when you do a dry burn to clean the wick, at this point the cotton might burn away. i have done something similar with a ceramic wick and found that the cotton will get gunked up alot quicker then just the wick olone

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I did try it out a few months ago and started a thread about it...you can check it out.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/363175-petar-k-method-hybrid-wick.html

The cotton gunks up pretty quick but if you set up the coil using a drill bit, you can slide out the wick and clean the cotton very easily and then slide the wick back in. It is the easiest method I have tried to set up a genny. It tastes/performs exactly like a perfectly set up genny using ss mesh.

WuWei

Feb 22, 2013
UK
I've put an organic hemp roach paper around my SS mesh, insulating the wick from it. I took a tiny square of it to fit one layer around the wick perfectly, and poked lots of little holes through it with a pin.

This is the paper I used:
418Uvnpi23L._SY300_.jpg

Only taken a few puffs but I feel that if this works, this could beat cotton and make SS mesh the ultimate easy reliable vape, which it is sorely lacking in. The coil wraps very nicely around it and there are no changes in resistance checked via the VAMO. Let's see how this goes. The taste is OK, a bit hempy but that's all good.

I made sure to liberally drop e-liquid directly onto the coil/wick to make sure the cardboard was drenched and the liquid seeped through. After heating the coil the card has turned black and carbonised. This is interesing territory, the flavour is coming through really well and the hempy taste faded away with the browning of the paper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread