Status
Not open for further replies.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Hi all,
Just received the Cuboid 150 yesterday. Also picked up a Griffen rta to take advantage of some of that power. Built a dual 26g. SS- 316 coil setup, TC, measuring about .34 ohms. The problem is the Cuboid output is anemic and within a few seconds of firing it is hitting it's temperature limit, no matter what the setting in TC. If I switch to power mode, it will work at lower power levels (like about 30 watts.) But I really want to use TC. Plus, I would think in power mode I should be able to reach much higher wattage. Has anyone successfully used this build?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi all,
Just received the Cuboid 150 yesterday. Also picked up a Griffen rta to take advantage of some of that power. Built a dual 26g. SS- 316 coil setup, TC, measuring about .34 ohms. The problem is the Cuboid output is anemic and within a few seconds of firing it is hitting it's temperature limit, no matter what the setting in TC. If I switch to power mode, it will work at lower power levels (like about 30 watts.) But I really want to use TC. Plus, I would think in power mode I should be able to reach much higher wattage. Has anyone successfully used this build?
What temperature have you set it to? TC doesn't by itself help you reach higher wattages, quite the opposite actually. TC will limit the wattage you reach when the build or the wicking can't keep up.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
What temperature have you set it to? TC doesn't by itself help you reach higher wattages, quite the opposite actually. TC will limit the wattage you reach when the build or the wicking can't keep up.

Actually to be more clear I mean it "works" (kind of) when I set it to plain power mode, but low wattage- around 30 watts. In TC, I've tried anywhere from 300-450F and it gives an anemic hit then cuts out to "temperature protection". I just did the update and it seems to work a little better. But I'm thinking to just try a new build. I'm thinking the wicking is not keeping up.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Actually to be more clear I mean it "works" (kind of) when I set it to plain power mode, but low wattage- around 30 watts. In TC, I've tried anywhere from 300-450F and it gives an anemic hit then cuts out to "temperature protection". I just did the update and it seems to work a little better. But I'm thinking to just try a new build. I'm thinking the wicking is not keeping up.
The temperature protection message isn't an error message, it simply means that the device is doing what it's supposed to. The you can try increasing the temperature. As long as you're not getting dry or burnt hits and the flavor is good you're fine.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
The temperature protection message isn't an error message, it simply means that the device is doing what it's supposed to. The you can try increasing the temperature. As long as you're not getting dry or burnt hits and the flavor is good you're fine.

Thanks for the reply!
I switched to Titanium and built two near perfect coils, firing evenly, .20 ohms, wicked as good as possible following several videos. On TC, it is just anemic, weak hits. In power mode, (38 watts), it's not bad. But I don't have the same issues on my smy60 TC mini, which fires great in TC mode. This mod seems very tricky in TC mode. Just wondering if anyone else has done a comparison to another TC mod and got similar issues.

gvegastiger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Greenville, SC
I had a similar issue with my eVic VT. I did several nickel builds and none of them worked right in TC. I'd get a few good hits and then suddenly Temp Protection kept turning on no matter how long I waited into between hits or how wet the coil was. I think JoyeTech has some issues with TC in their mods.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
I had a similar issue with my eVic VT. I did several nickel builds and none of them worked right in TC. I'd get a few good hits and then suddenly Temp Protection kept turning on no matter how long I waited into between hits or how wet the coil was. I think JoyeTech has some issues with TC in their mods.
You may be right about Joyetech and their TC mods, but I am much happier now with the very useful coefficient setting capability. Also, I have never been happy with SS in two different TC mods. I just don't think its resistance changing capabilities are well suited for TC. I could never get it to work without dry hits and scorched cotton. Titanium has been great, and Nickel good except for its softness.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
I'm probably not doing it correctly but I don't really get TC myself.

I've done some tests on NI200 on my IPV4

burn test cotton and just at the point it barely browns (around 405 degrees when using a stable build) and its just not a good vape for me.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of turning it up to match the temp I want and still risk a dry hit.

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
I'm probably not doing it correctly but I don't really get TC myself.

I've done some tests on NI200 on my IPV4

burn test cotton and just at the point it barely browns (around 405 degrees when using a stable build) and its just not a good vape for me.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of turning it up to match the temp I want and still risk a dry hit.

Try turning up the temp anyway. If it's not crazy high, that will simply get the coil up to temp as quickly as possible before the control kicks in.
I think it does depend a large part on the mod and the way the chips are "coded". The original DNA 40- TC I use works the best by far with NI200 and TI (although the temp is off on TI, since the DNA 40 is "hard coded" for NI and not adjustable- I just compensate for that.) My SMY 60 TC also works well. The Joyetech's are much trickier and have had a tough time with TC builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread