Looking for a high quality, TC mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Hello, everyone. I have been vaping for about ten years. My current mod is a TC cuboid. It has no paint on it anymore. My previous mod, the top started to come off, the one before that, the 510 connectors stripped. It just seems a lot of mods are low quality.

My cuboid started to act weird in TC mode. It was constantly jumping out of TC mode. I have been on a hunt for a new TC(that works) mod. I bought the Gx2/4 but the TC mode did not work, I had to return it. These mid-priced mods don't seem to do well in TC mode and they appear to be low quality.

I was looking at the SX mini G class, supposedly the TC does not update in real time. I have my eyes on Lost vape Triade 250. It has a dna 250 board. Supposedly it's one of the best chips out there.

I have a Kylin RTA, I want to run dual juggernaut SS coils on it. Ultimate, which is a high-quality TC Mod? My budget is about 220 dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm a fan of DNA boards, so you'll do well with anything from their lineup. The G class is liked by YiHi users but is a bit pricey. There is a new "c" series of DNA boards coming out, right now the 75c can be found. It has some very nice customization options over the current boards with more changes that can be made on the mod rather than through tethered software. I expect a 250c will be released, but no idea on how long for the roll out. It you can't wait, then a Triade 250 is great, especially if you need the higher power and 3 batteries, or a 167 Therion which uses 2 batteries so a bit lower max wattage, but IMO more than sufficient power for my use and a nice size and feel in the hand. DNA boards are great with 316L SS.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
I'm a fan of DNA boards, so you'll do well with anything from their lineup. The G class is liked by YiHi users but is a bit pricey. There is a new "c" series of DNA boards coming out, right now the 75c can be found. It has some very nice customization options over the current boards with more changes that can be made on the mod rather than through tethered software. I expect a 250c will be released, but no idea on how long for the roll out. It you can't wait, then a Triade 250 is great, especially if you need the higher power and 3 batteries, or a 167 Therion which uses 2 batteries so a bit lower max wattage, but IMO more than sufficient power for my use and a nice size and feel in the hand. DNA boards are great with 316L SS.

Thanks for the reply. Last night I did come across a youtube video where a guy was testing the TC control on stainless steel with various devices (DNA250, Sx550j, and a few others). He said he preferred the SX550j.

I usually get coils around 0.15-0.25 ohms. I vape around 60 watts. I do not need much power, but I also need something that lasts all day. I never used SS. SS is a lower resistance than what I am used to. Thus I would need to crank up the battery a bit. I liked the three batteries on the triade.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Yeah the new DNA 75c chips are sweet with the new 3 buttons and colored screen and customations. Tc works great.

I bought 2 new lost vape therion 75c bfmods right when it hit at www.elementvape.com
DJLsb does real intensive reviews on devices. For the 75c the temp control is inaccurate. He also pointed out a host of other problems.

• Informative

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The gtrs vboy uses a yihi chip and can be had for a little under 100 from China. Also the Smoant mods do a good job at tc according to reviews that test that sort of thing. I use my Battlestar in tc mode for ss and have been very happy with it. I've never used a DNA or yihi in tc mode but my understanding is they do it the best, how much better than the mods one quarter the price I don't know. I like my Smoant in tc but one day I'll break down and try the yihi or DNA .

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for the reply. Last night I did come across a youtube video where a guy was testing the TC control on stainless steel with various devices (DNA250, Sx550j, and a few others). He said he preferred the SX550j.

I usually get coils around 0.15-0.25 ohms. I vape around 60 watts. I do not need much power, but I also need something that lasts all day. I never used SS. SS is a lower resistance than what I am used to. Thus I would need to crank up the battery a bit. I liked the three batteries on the triade.

If you're typically building low at ~0.2 ohm and 60W, then a 2 or 3 battery mod is definitely the way to go. The DNA 75 won't do it for you with one battery (although the dual parallel 75 Therion or Paranormal would give you extra runtime). From the sound of it the Triade is a good option for you.

As to accuracy on the 75c, that is profile curve dependent and something that is tweaked, and even in earlier version of 75 or 200/250 it is either addressed in service packs that are routinely provided with updates as well as custom tfr curves. No board is perfect, and the 75c is a new board (as will the 250c eventually released) and growing pains in the initial software is common both for Evolv and YiHi. I wasn't terribly concerned by DJL's review as to that issue. If he like YiHi more, it's his opinion as a reviewer. The G class is an excellent device, but I'd encourage you to read through the threads on it available here in this temp control section for members experiences with the mod since release. Same of course for all the DNA mods out there as well.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 on the DNA boards. I am not a big TC fan-- heck, I'm a mekkie mostly-- but I have seen response curves using real data and the Evolv boards hold TC response very close. If I wanted a TC mod, that's the way I'd go. The latest YiHi board is alleged to be its equal for TC response, but I haven't see any independent testing. You won't go far wrong with the Triade you're looking at.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I have an Aspire Speeder, dual battery, fits 25mm tank with no overhang.
TC is outstanding on this mod. I have many DNA devices, have a few Yihi mods, this is as accurate as any of them. And that's saying something.
It also has a curve mode where you set the power you want delivered by .5 second increments for a 10 second period. Kind of neat feature, and if I didn't find my tank empty so often, I'd likely vape that mode.
Anyway, very nice mod for medium cash. How can it be?

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have both Yihi and DNA that I use in TC. Both do an excellent job. Very smooth. No pulsing. No huge initial over-shoot. The Yihi's work right out of the box. All of the DNA's (Lost Vape & HCigar) had to be programmed. All of them had incorrect parameters for one or more of: internal thermal, internal resistance, and TCR/TFR for stainless. Once the parameters were set correctly, they worked wonderfully. I also have a Vapresso Tarot Pro and a Council of Vapor Wraith that work well in TC. Other mods: Kanger, Smok, Wismec, Siegelli, not so much.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I have both Yihi and DNA that I use in TC. Both do an excellent job. Very smooth. No pulsing. No huge initial over-shoot. The Yihi's work right out of the box. All of the DNA's (Lost Vape & HCigar) had to be programmed. All of them had incorrect parameters for one or more of: internal thermal, internal resistance, and TCR/TFR for stainless. Once the parameters were set correctly, they worked wonderfully. I also have a Vapresso Tarot Pro and a Council of Vapor Wraith that work well in TC. Other mods: Kanger, Smok, Wismec, Siegelli, not so much.
I was around when the first Evolve chip and mod came in and then early dna20 and 40 were ready to use right out of the box as far as I know, but a few years ago I gave up ( at the time I couldnt and still know nada abaout how to use a YiHi) vaping and just took it up a year ago with some eleaf kits.
I recently bought a Lava Box 75 and had trouble with it and when sent in it was confirmed defective.... Volcano replaced it and the second one went bonkers on me too. They never told me anything about escribe and setting the proper power and ramp up parameters.
I traded for Lavabox 200 and after some help on this forum learned I had to get escribe (for Mac) using 75C for the 200 and how to do this right.
Youre right; you have to use escribe to get the vape right.
I use Ti now with simple adjustments to Power and Ramp up, which is pretty easy (following the comprehensive tutorial, and and still need to learn about TCR how to set TCR for SS

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I was around when the first Evolve chip and mod came in and then early dna20 and 40 were ready to use right out of the box as far as I know, but a few years ago I gave up ( at the time I couldnt and still know nada abaout how to use a YiHi) vaping and just took it up a year ago with some eleaf kits.
I recently bought a Lava Box 75 and had trouble with it and when sent in it was confirmed defective.... Volcano replaced it and the second one went bonkers on me too. They never told me anything about escribe and setting the proper power and ramp up parameters.
I traded for Lavabox 200 and after some help on this forum learned I had to get escribe (for Mac) using 75C for the 200 and how to do this right.
Youre right; you have to use escribe to get the vape right.
I use Ti now with simple adjustments to Power and Ramp up, which is pretty easy (following the comprehensive tutorial, and and still need to learn about TCR how to set TCR for SS

Good to hear you got it figured out. They are nice units once calibrated.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not as big of a TC enthusiast than some, here, but I find I have mods without the DNA chip that do TC rather well, the Steampunk Nano 120 by Tesla, for example. But if you are looking for a bigger mod and true accuracy, I think your selection is excellent. I enjoy not buying mods on the "bleeding edge" too, just because I like kinks to be worked out, and I like to hear reviews from others, not to mention they decrease in price (sometimes) and that is nice....

Good luck with your search,

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
There are a few high end triple parallel box mods out that would support the low builds you are using. Between the $150.00 and $200.00 range,and they perform great. They do not have TC mode though( you can run SS in power mode so that would work), which s the downside to these mods.

They would give you plenty of vape time too.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread