Device Cleaning + 70 VG/30 PG = Gag/Cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRS7

May 8, 2016
Hi everyone!

So tonight I decided to clean my new Volcano Inferno device by rinsing out the drip tip, tube, and (probably stupidly) the coil with water. I let everything dry for a bit, and then I vaped a new 3 mg 70 VG/30 PG juice that I recently bought. I noticed that if I sucked in too much, I developed a gag and need to cough, which I did a few times (this normally doesn't happen with 3 mg 50 VG/50 PG blends).

Is it possible that I'm just not used to the blend, or is it possible that I left more excess water after I cleaned than I should, and I'm sucking that in?

I'm going to leave everything alone for tonight and see how things go tomorrow. I probably won't be cleaning out the device again with water and just changing out the coil when it needs it instead.

Thanks for letting me vent!

MRS7

May 8, 2016
Higher VG = more vapor. So that could do it.

A coil wet with H20 really isn't going to produce much of anything, other than a lot less vapor and some largely unnoticeable steam (for lack of a better word) until you vape the excess water out of the wick & coil.

Thanks for the reply! The vapor was pretty noticeable, so I think the device must have dried pretty well. I guess I probably just need to get used to this type of blend. Thanks again!

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I probably won't be cleaning out the device again with water and just changing out the coil when it needs it instead.
You can use water on everything but the coil. For that, use some potable (not rubbing) alcohol and let it dry thoroughly overnight, or just replace the coils when they wear out, you won't save that much by squeezing another use out of them.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Years ago, I use to clean my old K808 cartomizer coil(s)/padding with alcohol.
Not sure about cleaning Volcano coils with alcohol but probably should not damage the coil assembly. I used (soaking for 10 min. shaking out) ethylene alcohol/Everclear or vodka etc. I would let dry for a day or so on window sill exposed to sun. Recommend fill Volcano with juice, test puff without inhaling. Could get a harsh throat hit so just mouth inhale for 3-4 times until alcohol residue and juice burns off. Should be good to go after that.
This procedure did extend the life of the carto but it tended to dull/slightly alter the taste of a weak flavor mix. Might want to vape a strong e-liquid flavor in a alcohol cleaned coil after this procedure.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
The Volcano Inferno coil can be dry-burned (I never soaked mine in anything) Cleaning the Inferno BC TubeTank Head. (Advanced)

Here's what I reviewed to learn how. Other than that, I would wash the tank and tip in warm, soapy water - rinse WELL and let dry completely before refilling.

Reactions: MRS7

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
It could water left in the device (vape a little and it'll go away). or it could be the mix. Different people have different pg/vg ratio needs. I, personally, don't do well with high vg mixtures. 50/50 is the absolute max vg I can handle. Try going back to your normal mix and see what happens.

Reactions: MRS7

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm just grumpy that anybody buys Volcano, but I resisted the cheap shots.
Really, though; that hardware is old, poor for VG liquids and much too expensive.
Another brand making out like they are the real deal with marketing hype. Sure, they sell some nice top end gear, but those prices are shocking as well.
How much are those coils @MRS7? $4 each or something? Extrapolate this over a few years and it's too much money.

MRS7

May 8, 2016
I'm just grumpy that anybody buys Volcano, but I resisted the cheap shots.
Really, though; that hardware is old, poor for VG liquids and much too expensive.
Another brand making out like they are the real deal with marketing hype. Sure, they sell some nice top end gear, but those prices are shocking as well.
How much are those coils @MRS7? $4 each or something? Extrapolate this over a few years and it's too much money.

I'm new to vaping, and I don't vape very often, so I'm just starting out with a simple device for the time being. The new and improved Inferno actually does a decent job in regards to what you specified, at least in my opinion/experience. I haven't even needed to replace the first coil yet, so hopefully the juices will be the most expensive things I purchase lol thanks for your perspective though!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm new to vaping, and I don't vape very often, so I'm just starting out with a simple device for the time being. The new and improved Inferno actually does a decent job in regards to what you specified, at least in my opinion/experience. I haven't even needed to replace the first coil yet, so hopefully the juices will be the most expensive things I purchase lol thanks for your perspective though!
I'll wish you luck. As long as people know what they're getting into (my expense was $800 with a different company) that's all that matters.
In the meantime, I'll try and work out who makes those coils for Volcano and let's see if we can find you a better deal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread