Difference between Mechanical mods and Variable watt mods???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppocket

Jun 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
The really simple answer is there a currently 3 types of voltage regulation. Fixed voltage, variable voltage, and variable voltage that auto adjusts itself based on the ohm rating of the coil you are using and what you pre-set (variable wattage).

The really simple reason you might want a variable wattage device is you may have multiple heads that have different ohm coils. When you switch them a variable watt device will automatically measure the ohm of the coil and adjust the voltage to meet the setting you have pre-selected. It's just a convenience thing.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
They are 2 completely different devices.

The variable voltage or wattage device is a true electronic cigarette in that it actually contains some electronics inside of it. It let's you adjust the voltage of your battery to make your coil get hotter or cooler. They usually have built in protection that will shut off your device if it sense that something is going wrong with your battery or your coil... Overheating or shorting for example. They are also regulated. This means that as your battery looses charge as you use is, it will boost the signal of your batterie to always match the voltage that you have it set to. Let's say you entered 3.7 volts... The Variable votlage or wattage device will give you a constant 3.7 volt throughout your vape time until the battery dies...

The mechanical mod on the other hand offers none of this. It is an electric device that contains no electronics. They use a mechanical switch that connects the positive and negative pole of the battery physically with the use of springs and moving parts thus the appelation mechanical.

They contain no builtin protection whatsoever that will prevent your battery to go berserk. The only protection they have will kick in only are after the fact that your battery died, blew up or melted. There is no way to adjust the voltage of the device without the use of added electronics... You are thus vaping off directly from the battery which means as the battery drains itself, the voltage will drop with it... You will start out vaping around 4 volts and slowly but surley end up vaping on some 3.4 volts.

The mechanicals requiers more knowledge about battery safety to use properly. Nothing will prevent you from overdischarging your battery, and a overdischarge battery can lead to serious consequences, like fire or explosion. They are not performing well with regular atomizers, clearomizer, cartos and so on... They are recommended for the more advanced users that wants good performance out of rebuildable atomizers. But a lot of research is needed to know how to operate them safely.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
If you don't know the difference, then you should probably get a regulated device. The mechs require you to target your coil Ohms to provide an effective vape. Not hard, but a lot harder than adjusting your voltage to match your resistance. If all of this sounds like gobbledygook, you need to do some reading and watch this video:

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
Good question, and one that I was asking this week end. Thank you for the concise answers and the link to PBusardo's video. Knowledge is power. I was going to get a mech mod until I discovered that I am nowhere near ready. I have more learning to do. I'm just glad I researched enough to figure that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread