DIY juice question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raytheon

Moved On
Sep 1, 2017
I have recently begun making my own juice. i tend to make either 10 or 15ml sample bottles of juices i've never tried before. since i'm making such small bottles, the percentages of flavor i'm adding are insanely small especially when it is a recipe with 7 or 8 flavors. I make small batches so if i don't like it, i didn't waste tons of flavor/pg/vg. my question is, if i accidentally put a couple too many drops into the mix (0.01-0.05 over my target, did i just ruin my juice?

Last edited:

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I have recently begun making my own juice. i tend to make either 10 or 15ml sample bottles of juices i've never tried before. since i'm making such small bottles, the percentages of flavor i'm adding are insanely small especially when it is a recipe with 7 or 8 flavors. I make small batches so if i don't like it, i didn't waste tons of flavor/pg/vg. my question is, if i accidentally put a couple too many drops into the mix (0.01-0.05 over my target, did i just ruin my juice?

Probably not, but note the addition for future reference... :cool:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it will most likely turn out fine. But yeah, in case you like it a lot, write down what you did.

I thought I had purchased coco and was going to add it to my forestberry/mixed berry ejuice, as it's almost unvapable on its own. In my annoyance, I just added some storebought coco I had laying around and mixed in some of that. Same nic strength, so no worries, but I definitely wrote that down as so far, I think it's either going to be great.... Or absolutely dreadful :) I'm going to call it the "Appalachia Mix" and my husband's from there, so I'm allowed to joke about it. :D I know the "symptoms" well, and actually it has served us greatly, resourcefulness being the spice of life, or whatever though we have two dead cars in our yard right now that I am BEGGING the husband to rid us of.... My son totaled his first car by swerving around some puppies, and I think the husband thinks he can resurrect it at some point. I don't think so.... We've "hidden" them between the sheds, but it's a good thing we don't have a HOA. For many reasons, HOAs make me stabby in general....

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Hi Raytheon. Welcome to the ECF.

Here are a couple of things I would suggest when doing DIY that might Help you.

I would always consider a New Recipe as just a reference. It might Look Good on paper, and the Poster of the Recipe might like it, but that is No Guarantee that You will like it. Even if you Replicate it down to the 0.0001ml level. So don't get too Hung Up on the Numbers.

Being Consistent and Keeping Detailed and Accurate Notes on what you do is the Key.

Another thing is to consider just How Cheap DIY supplies actual are. So yeah... No One likes to toss out things. But it Isn't exactly like it costs an arm and a leg to do so. I would suggest just doing 30ml samples for those 7 or 8 Flavor mixes. It's just Easier.

Last thing. I would make sure that I waited At Least 3 ~ 4 Days (perhaps Longer) after I mixed a New Recipe before I made any Changes to the Recipe. Just put the Mix in a Cool Dark Place for 3 or 4 Days and Forget about it.

Flavors can Significantly Change in Taste during those first couple of days. And if you make changes to a New Recipe before the Flavor has changed, you can start to Chase your Tail trying to "Fix" it.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
thanks everyone for all they in depth answers. much more detailed responses than i was expecting. I asked this same questions on a couple other forums, and simply got yes/no replies, and that's it.
This is the only ecig forum...

NOTE: I am not a paid representative of this forum and have no conflicts of interest.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Mixing in small 10ml to 15ml batches is the secret to testing flavor combinations without using a lot of resources. If you don't like it after steeping you can dump it and start over. There's not a lot of loss if you don't like it.

You'll find that your juice flavor preferences change over time. If you aren't far away from your last cigarette, your taste buds will change radically as they heal from the dulling effects of tobacco.

Recipes that you find will be stated according to the preferences of the person who posted it. You may have to massage the mix to match your own taste. DIY juice mixing is highly variable, so start low in flavor and work up. You can always add flavor and you can dilute flavor by adding unflavored nic base to an overflavored mix.

FWIW, unflavored nic base is nothing more than nicotine base, PG, and VG without the flavorings added. Many of us vape unflavored all or part of any given day. It has a slightly sweet taste and produces good vapor. Flavorings can get old over time, so unflavored gives your taste buds a rest.

Unflavored nic base is a good start for testing juices. You just pour up a 10ml sample of unflavored, minus the amount of flavoring the recipe calls for, and shake. You don't have to get out the scales as often and the mix is accurate as long as you calculate the flavor amount and the unflavored amount to reach your mix goal for that flavor.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Mixing is not an exact science. When I make my everyday vapes I eyeball my base and draw up my flavors in a syringe to the nearest whole ml. If the flavor is to light I squirt in a little more flavor if it's to strong I eyeball pour in a little more base. A little over or a little under is not going to make a big difference so don't sweat it just have fun with it. It stops being fun when you have to resort to a scientific calculator to calculate down to the smallest fraction of a ml which believe me is so unnecessary. Just get your nicotine measurement right and don't sweat the rest.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So true. You can really have fun mixing, and while we have the odd flavor master/mistress who can mix like no one's business, a little inaccuracy really isn't going to be too much of a problem. I leant a bit far towards underflavoring to start, but adding 5 or 10 drops of flavor is really easy, and isn't going to affect my nic percentage much.

My Appalachia mix has turned into one of my favorites, and the whole time I was going, "Why are you doing this? This can't possibly turn out well...." but I actually really like it now that it's steeped. The coco adds... something, and the brandy definitely cut the sweetness of forest berry. The whole time I was going, "I'm going to have to dump this whole thing."

I kind of try to approach it as fun, not deadly serious, just like I approach cooking. So far I have not found a mix that I cannot improve, except for Orange creamsicle, which I think needs... something. Not sure what yet, but the citruses are the hardest ones for me to get right..... I'm still holding fast on the no sweetener thing, but I think I may have to GET some. Sigh. It's really necessary with some flavors, and completely not with others. Can't say I understand all the science behind it, but I really enjoy it....

Anna

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
since i'm making such small bottles, the percentages of flavor i'm adding are insanely small [...] if i accidentally put a couple too many drops into the mix (0.01-0.05 over my target, did i just ruin my juice?
When high precision and low quantity are called for simultaneously (strong flavors in a small batch, for example), you can dilute the flavor 10x in PG (or 5x or 2x or whatever suits you) and then use 10x the amount (or, etc.) called for in the recipe. Make sure to account for the added PG in your final mix.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread