Just waiting for the awards show to start:pop:

DMDutouHSJUXYM9ypv8bJrgHI7ayYNPtNm-Q6-GXfj86YiC81e9AdbgTQs_foRsJlpdbDI4=s85

jj_9

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
FR
Hi risk

no it is not safe at least for two reasons :
- your liquid is in contact with the box itself which components "may not be" safe to vape
- Your electric circuit has no protection so as each meca mod it may be not that safe depending on the battery you put in it (looks like those low amps batteries that were delivered with evic 1st version)

Anyway be careful !

JJ

RiSK

Jan 16, 2017
Hello Everyone I have Built this mod is this safe to use

Thank you every one for your response Some one says this mod is safe and some one says this is not So I was thinking If I built like the image with the atomizer that I made (I have attached the Image) Will it be still dangerous.

Attachments

• a93fcfabda319622c4f4484d3565089a.jpg
    a93fcfabda319622c4f4484d3565089a.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 102

RiSK

Jan 16, 2017
i'm sadly impressed with the effort put into it... no i wouldn't use it, but i can see how early box vaping started with just watching the video. you are building a mech mod with unsafe bits and pieces... building with scrap and unknown wire/batteries/etc is a good way for an accident to happen.
SO how can I make this MOD safe

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Anything that uses a high amp battery in a box that requires careful routing of wires and cables needs some thought toward what could happen if two components carrying voltage happen to touch. Wiring has to be shortened and routed tightly to prevent chafing or grounding, especially where insulation is near or touches touches heated parts. Lots of thought has to go into the design to uncover those what-if scenarios that could occur.

It's a wooden box, so it's not going to short if a component touches the case. That's good. It's also a mech mod with no fuse that I saw. I'd add a fuse to protect against any short that could occur from a loose metal part or chafed wire. Fuses are cheap protection against anything that happens to come loose and get across battery voltage.

Other than that, it looks fine.

Last edited:

RiSK

Jan 16, 2017
Anything that uses a high amp battery in a box that requires careful routing of wires and cables needs some thought toward what could happen if two components carrying voltage happen to touch. Wiring has to be shortened and routed tightly to prevent chafing or grounding, or insulation that touches heated parts. Lots of thought has to go into the design to uncover those what-if scenarios that could occur.

It's wooden box, so it's not going to short if a component touches the case. That's good. It's also a mech mod with no fuse that I saw. I'd add a fuse to protect against any short that could occur from a loose metal part or chafed wire. Fuses are cheap protection against anything that happens to come loose and get across battery voltage.

What does a FUSE means doest it means MOSFET

RiSK

Jan 16, 2017
Anything that uses a high amp battery in a box that requires careful routing of wires and cables needs some thought toward what could happen if two components carrying voltage happen to touch. Wiring has to be shortened and routed tightly to prevent chafing or grounding, or insulation that touches heated parts. Lots of thought has to go into the design to uncover those what-if scenarios that could occur.

It's wooden box, so it's not going to short if a component touches the case. That's good. It's also a mech mod with no fuse that I saw. I'd add a fuse to protect against any short that could occur from a loose metal part or chafed wire. Fuses are cheap protection against anything that happens to come loose and get across battery voltage.

Can you take a look at the image that I have attached will this be safe with the same atomizer concept

Attachments

• a93fcfabda319622c4f4484d3565089a.jpg
    a93fcfabda319622c4f4484d3565089a.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 48

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

A fuse is a mechanical device that uses an internal element that melts if something pulls too much amperage. Some devices use circuit breakers that can be reset and other mods monitor current load and shut it down electronically.

The only thing I see that would make it safer is a fuse in line with the positive lead of the battery.

Something as simple as this fuse holder could be installed inside your mod. It accepts little fuses that are used in automobiles, hobby projects, and electronic devices. Depending on your vaping wattage you might be able to pop in a 10A, 15A, or 20A fuse. The fuse would blow in case a positive wire touches ground or something gets across the coil and causes a short. Auto parts stores might have what you need. The lowest amperage fuse that doesn't blow when you vape at your favorite wattage would be best. You have room to mount it at the bottom on the side with the fire button switch. Just cut the lower wire going from the negative battery terminal to the fire switch and solder those wires to the fuse holder contacts and pop in a fuse.

The fuse holder lets you quick change the fuse if it blows. Start with a 10A. If it blows while vaping, go to a 15A. It will protect you from a battery meltdown that could occur if a short occurs.

https://www.amazon.com/LITTELFUSE-W...4&sr=1-15&keywords=electric+fuses+and+holders

31egfd9QezL.jpg

Last edited:

RiSK

Jan 16, 2017
A fuse is a mechanical device that uses an internal element that melts if something pulls too much amperage. Some devices use circuit breakers that can be reset and other mods monitor current load and shut it down electronically.

The only thing I see that would make it safer is a fuse in line with the positive lead of the battery.

Something as simple as this fuse holder could be installed inside your mod. It accepts little fuses that are used in automobiles, hobby projects, and electronic devices. Depending on your vaping wattage you might be able to pop in a 10A, 15A, or 20A fuse. The fuse would blow in case a positive wire touches ground or something gets across the coil and causes a short. Auto parts stores might have what you need. The lowest amperage fuse that doesn't blow when you vape at your favorite wattage would be best. You have room to mount it at the bottom on the side with the fire button switch. Just cut the lower wire going from the negative battery terminal to the fire switch and solder those wires to the fuse holder contacts and pop in a fuse.

The fuse holder lets you quick change the fuse if it blows. Start with a 10A. If it blows while vaping, go to a 15A. It will protect you from a battery meltdown that could occur if a short occurs.

https://www.amazon.com/LITTELFUSE-W...4&sr=1-15&keywords=electric+fuses+and+holders

31egfd9QezL.jpg
http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Chassi...F8&qid=1484851083&sr=8-1&keywords=fuse+holder
Is this the same fuse

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

A fuse is a little device with an element that melts if the current going through it exceeds what should be flowing. Fuses are fail safe components. Right now, if your atomizer coil or connector shorts or the wiring going to it happens to short or melt together your battery will go into meltdown and spew hot gases or even explode.

A MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) is an electrical switch that allows a small voltage to control a higher current source to operate a device. It replaces a high current mechanical switch with a device that can be remotely controlled by a voltage signal.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

That fuse holder could mount through a hole in the side of your mod similar to the way the fire button is mounted. Yes, it could be used to hold the fuse. You'd cut the wire from the battery negative (-) terminal and attach the two wires to the terminals on the fuse holder and screw the holder to the case.

The one you linked would stick out on the side. The one I linked and imaged would mount inside. The fuse would snap into the clips. One terminal would go to the battery wire and the other to the switch wire after cutting the wire from the switch to the battery.

Normally, the fuse is on the positive wire coming from the source voltage. Since total current draw is the same throughout the circuit the fuse can also be on the return or negative end of the circuit, since you have room in the box for the hardware at that point in the circuit and no room between the battery and the atomizer coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread