do i really need to purchase a battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
The important thing for safety is to charge batteries in a safe place that won't burn and to not charge overnight, regardless of whether you use internal or external charging. I've read of charger fires and of mod fires while charging. The quality of the design is important so one model may not be just as safe as another. You could have a mod autofire while charging, you could damage your battery wraps taking them in and out to charge externally. No one has the definitive answer on which is safer imho :)
I charge my Pegasus with the built in USB port as I do with my istick 30 and 40TC and do it safely as noted above. Been charging my two Istick 30s for a year to a year and a half. No issues, no loose ports, works quite well for me :)

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Although I have heard the reports of auto firing MOD's I can't help but think have these MOD's it happened to been drowned by e-Liquid at some point? Out of the 10 or so MOD's I own none of them have ever exhibited any of the strange occurrences I have seen reported.

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
The important thing for safety is to charge batteries in a safe place that won't burn and to not charge overnight, regardless of whether you use internal or external charging. I've read of charger fires and of mod fires while charging. The quality of the design is important so one model may not be just as safe as another. You could have a mod autofire while charging, you could damage your battery wraps taking them in and out to charge externally. No one has the definitive answer on which is safer imho :)

Very true. After spending £130 on a lavabox, if the thing burns my house down while on charge, then volcanoes gonna be getting billed for it! The problem with my mod is to take the battery out you pretty much have to un bolt the entire device lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Simplest answer is retire the batteries when they can no longer hold a charge. For batteries like 18650s, you can see that on many external chargers that provide you with the battery voltage. For built in batteries there's no good way to test for anyone short of popping the mod open, so all you can really go by is shorter and shorter run times under the same use loads.

Eh?
So you would have to guess that it's not holding a charge, then wait, then put it on the d4 to prove your theory correct.

Would that take days? Or the next day when I check it on my dmm it would be significantly lower?

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
I charge my Pegasus with the built in USB port as I do with my istick 30 and 40TC and do it safely as noted above. Been charging my two Istick 30s for a year to a year and a half. No issues, no loose ports, works quite well for me :)

Bit off topic but your pic looks just like my wolf. Only mine has yellow eyes not blue. Is it your dog or a stock pic?

Reactions: vape-o-matic

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Eh?
So you would have to guess that it's not holding a charge, then wait, then put it on the d4 to prove your theory correct.

Would that take days? Or the next day when I check it on my dmm it would be significantly lower?

If it isn't charging and holding it for a day it's a dead soldier. For me the policy of if in doubt, throw it out holds given the relatively low cost of a battery. However, with these 4 battery mods hitting the market, that low cost starts to pile up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Bit off topic but your pic looks just like my wolf. Only mine has yellow eyes not blue. Is it your dog or a stock pic?

Is your's a wolf or a half wolf (OK, unlikely you keep a real full wolf hanging out in the family room, but you never know, right?)?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I can see that. Lol they make amazing pets! I've got a 7 year old (wolf not child) lol and he's a sweetheart. Bloody hard work! But very rewarding all the same. The vet always moans at me saying he should be in a zoo. Lol

He sounds awesome!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah I can see that. Lol they make amazing pets! I've got a 7 year old (wolf not child) lol and he's a sweetheart. Bloody hard work! But very rewarding all the same. The vet always moans at me saying he should be in a zoo. Lol

So other than the stock "anywhere he wants", just where does the wolf hang out? And really, how did you get that to work out? I think wolves are amazing animals and can become comfortable with people, but full wolves are kinda rare to find outside of preserves and protected areas. And I'm sure Petco does not stock Wolf Chow unless it's a special order.

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
At home. I've got a lot of land so he's all good. Food wise he eats normal stuff and anything he catches in the woods etc mainly rabbits birds and other stuff. I rescued him from the most ironic family that a. literally had no clue what they had and b. had no clue how to look after him. He was just kept outside in a tiny garden and apparently "annoyed the neighbours" because he howled all day and was stressed out. You should have seen him when I got him. He was stick thin and had seriously poor fur and general health. He's much happier now and up to a normal weight for his size. He's definitely the runt though. He's only 7 odd stone which is small really. Anyway, feel like I've high jacked the thread a bit so sorry for that. I just thought I'd ask David if it was his wolf lol

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
If it isn't charging and holding it for a day it's a dead soldier. For me the policy of if in doubt, throw it out holds given the relatively low cost of a battery. However, with these 4 battery mods hitting the market, that low cost starts to pile up.
Four battery mods? Insanity!until Lion technology improves and people get educated about them that's just a bigger bomb.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Back on topic, I definitely charge my mod overnight [emoji30] good news is, I charge it pretty much next to my face so if it goes bang I'll know about it. lol. In the day time I'm using it constantly so at night seems the best time to charge it...

You could be in the headlines one day:blink:

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
Four battery mods? Insanity!until Lion technology improves and people get educated about them that's just a bigger bomb.

Four?! What's it hitting 1000 watts??? lol that's some crazy power going through that. I wouldn't want that to vent in my hand!

Rwanda

Dec 12, 2016
I just looked it up and found this. lol what's the point?!
3b166961218f3b23ff53ac5cdf8526aa.jpg

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Back on topic, I definitely charge my mod overnight [emoji30] good news is, I charge it pretty much next to my face so if it goes bang I'll know about it. lol. In the day time I'm using it constantly so at night seems the best time to charge it...

That's crazy. I don't get it.
You need some more batteries.
I got 18 atm. So it means that I've got enough that are charged to use while I'm charging others and I only usually charge on 1 or 2 days, usually a Sunday. Then I can keep an eye on my gear.

Battery + charging + sleep can = problems and that's not a good look.

Be safe, charge while your awake and in the house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread