Do I Need A Battery Charger ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I never charge my batteries in the mod. Too much variability in build quality, and an 18650 is basically a small bomb waiting to go off. Also, as I understand it, charging your batteries at 0.5 Amps saves battery life and some of the newer mods charge at a substantially higher rate than that. I would recommend that you buy a charger. I have an Efest LUC V4 charger that has never done me wrong.

Reactions: Tonee N

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Though Smok claims the Alien 220w has a battery balance charger (it charges the batteries up together to full charge instead of one over charging or the other undercharged), it is still best to get an external dedicated charger which sole purpose is to charge batteries, and they do each battery independently monitored. You can find a Nitecore i2 2bay charger for less that 15 to 20 USD, it is a well worth while investment, because even if the mod charges your batteries just fine, the moment the charging circuit goes out in it, you have no back up and have to replace the entire mod eventually.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
LGHG2 and Q30
S9VI7zy.gif

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, it's better to not charge by USB. Gosh, when I first saw some of those mods, I thought the USB port might be useful for charging my phone. I did not realize. :) Also, trying to charge by USB will take forever, so yes, unless you can last a whole day on two batteries, and charge while you're asleep.... Well, chargers are really inexpensive (I have the latest generation Nitecore 2 bay and it charges well in a couple of hours.) I started out with 4 batteries with a 2 battery mod, now I have 8 so I can rotate them and let them rest. But, it's always great to have a spare set of batteries (in that handy, plastic carrying case so nothing can get at them) for out and about, in case I am not paying attention much to my batteries and if it needs to be switched or not.

Batteries/charger are probably going to be your LEAST expense, after upfront costs. If you take good care of them, they will last longer.

Anna

Reactions: Tonee N

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You can live without a charger for now.

The reasons for getting an external charger outweigh the negatives (charger cost, taking batteries out etc.)

There is one place I visit and do not take a charger. None of my mods have caused any trouble charging them via the USB but long-term it's not a great solution. Also, USB ports can easily get pushed into the body of the mod and then that's the end of that.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Just ordered the Smok Alien 220w and some 18650 batteries, but to charge the batteries do i need a battery charger or can i have them in my vape and plug in the usb charging thing?

Well also tho think about the only way to update the mod is with the USB over time It can ware out the USB plug with it sitting in there if u used a charger this will never happen also if the mod tips over when changing and hits the plug cud short out the mod now I own DNA and the only way to change the settings is throw the USB and I just don't want extra wear and tear on the plug just my Input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
. Well, chargers are really inexpensive (I have the latest generation Nitecore 2 bay and it charges well in a couple of hours.) I started out with 4 batteries with a 2 battery mod, now I have 8 so I can rotate them and let them rest. But, it's always great to have a spare set of batteries (in that handy, plastic carrying case so nothing can get at them) for out and about, in case I am not paying attention much to my batteries and if it needs to be switched or not.

Batteries/charger are probably going to be your LEAST expense, after upfront costs. If you take good care of them, they will last longer.

Anna

I started with a spare set of batteries with a 4 bay Nitecore charger, then the wheels fell off the wagon. Now I have a Lux 6 bay charger and 19+ batteries in rotation. As they get older they become the 521 big tab batteries.[emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
I use the Smok Alien 220. My problem with charging through the mod is that the B battery charges to full at least 40 mins before the A battery. Essentially overcharging the B cell. My friend told me that over time the B cell will die quicker and need to be replaced as a result and an external charger may fix this. However I am not fully sure if that would fix it, I am not a battery expert.

Reactions: stols001

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
I use the Smok Alien 220. My problem with charging through the mod is that the B battery charges to full at least 40 mins before the A battery. Essentially overcharging the B cell. My friend told me that over time the B cell will die quicker and need to be replaced as a result and an external charger may fix this. However I am not fully sure if that would fix it, I am not a battery expert.

Sounds dodgy to me, I always thought that lithium cells need to be balanced for use in a battery.

Aus11

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hollywood, FL
Sounds dodgy to me, I always thought that lithium cells need to be balanced for use in a battery.

I have been using them for about a month now. They run strong and they are showing no signs of max power loss. I think 1 battery may have just been older so it has a harder time holding in energy than the other new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread