Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
...and/or wash new ones before use? I'm wondering about the child-proof caps. And, for that matter, same with the polycone caps I use on my glass bottles. I don't want to wash them with soap or anything because I'm afraid I could never be sure I've rinsed them clean. No matter how much I shake, rattle, and roll them around, there always seems to be a good deal of liquid remaining inside. What I've done in the past is rinse them with hot water from the tap, then soaked in ISO or PGA alcohol and left to air-dry. The alcohol evaporates clean, and faster than water would, but in that enclosed environment it still takes an awfully long time; I leave the plastic child-proof caps out generally overnight, and when I cannot shake a single drop out of them I consider them dry, but when the polycones get some liquid inside, it can take them like a week to dry up. How do you guys do it, is there an easier way?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
...and/or wash new ones before use? I'm wondering about the child-proof caps. And, for that matter, same with the polycone caps I use on my glass bottles. I don't want to wash them with soap or anything because I'm afraid I could never be sure I've rinsed them clean. No matter how much I shake, rattle, and roll them around, there always seems to be a good deal of liquid remaining inside. What I've done in the past is rinse them with hot water from the tap, then soaked in ISO or PGA alcohol and left to air-dry. The alcohol evaporates clean, and faster than water would, but in that enclosed environment it still takes an awfully long time; I leave the plastic child-proof caps out generally overnight, and when I cannot shake a single drop out of them I consider them dry, but when the polycones get some liquid inside, it can take them like a week to dry up. How do you guys do it, is there an easier way?
E liquid does not spoil like food because micro organisms can't survive in it. I've been using the same 18ml dripper bottle for the last year. I keep refilling it before it gets empty. I do the same with the 240 ml bottle I mix into. Again, there are no micro organisms in e liquid, except may be dead ones that were unlucky enough to fall in there some how.

Reactions: Str8vision

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I re-use and rinse in hot water. Use the same or like flavors in them when refilling.
    Yes it can take a few days to dry. Putting them in an AC environment will speed it up.
    I've even put them in front of a fan. Now I have too many bottles, so waiting is not a problem.
    Regarding poly cone caps, water under the cone can take forever to dry. (maybe never)
    I use blunt nose pliers to grab the end of the cone, and pull it off the stem.
    The stem is fragile, go easy....have spare caps.

Reactions: David Wolf

Steamix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Definetely,

DIY, 10ml bottle costs more than the contents itself.

There's more than enough plastic trash messing up the environment, no need to add to it unnecessarily.
    So rinse and refill.

Only thing to bear in mind : things menthol apart from things non-menthol you keep, else the flavour might make you weep (( rhyme or rot :D )) ...

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I kept all my plastic and glass jugs, rinsed them out then threw them into a pail. I did throw out the ones that were crappy clear jugs that crinkled easily. I had no intentions of ever using them but once I went into DIY I was grateful I saved them all. I wash them with a bit of soap and have never tasted soap residue. Just getting the labels off some of them was a chore. I went and bought caps for all my glass bottles and used them to freeze my tobacco concentrates and nic that I portioned out for single uses. I now got a excess of dripper caps and use the drippers to scale flavors.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    What I've done in the past is rinse them with hot water from the tap, then soaked in ISO or PGA alcohol and left to air-dry. The alcohol evaporates clean, and faster than water would, but in that enclosed environment it still takes an awfully long time

Honest question... are you a non-drinker?

Even if so... first, you're probably mistaken about the evaporation time, and second... who cares?

We drink PGA (diluted usually ;) ) and I understand it's used as a thinner in at least some retail e-liquids (though I don't think I've ever had one of those).

And the amount of ISO left in the bottle after a good shake is probably less than absorbed cleaning off a medium cut.

So... rinse, alcohol wash, give 'em a shake and let 'em dry for an hour (or don't even bother)... and Bob's your uncle. :)

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Honest question... are you a non-drinker?

Even if so... first, you're probably mistaken about the evaporation time,
    The pure stuff evaporates a lot cleaner and faster than, say, a nice bourbon does.

and second... who cares?

We drink PGA (diluted usually ;) ) and I understand it's used as a thinner in at least some retail e-liquids (though I don't think I've ever had one of those).

And the amount of ISO left in the bottle after a good shake is probably less than absorbed cleaning off a medium cut.

So... rinse, alcohol wash, give 'em a shake and let 'em dry for an hour (or don't even bother)... and Bob's your uncle. :)
    Ethanol is used as a solvent in some flavor concentrates but it adds a "harshness" to the finished liquid if not left to evaporate. I haven't heard of anyone actually adding it; most that I'm aware of (here in the DIY community, anyway, can't say for retail liquids) use PG or DW (distilled water) if some thinning is needed.

I don't know much about isopropanol except that it's toxic to ingest. I don't know anything about other forms of consumption so I just play it safe and let it evaporate fully, if I am compelled to use it in the first place.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2015
    Definetely,

DIY, 10ml bottle costs more than the contents itself.

There's more than enough plastic trash messing up the environment, no need to add to it unnecessarily.
    So rinse and refill.

Only thing to bear in mind : things menthol apart from things non-menthol you keep, else the flavour might make you weep (( rhyme or rot :D )) ...

Menthol or heavy mint bottles are save for same/similar, white vinegar/water seams to clean all others out well. Using the same 12 pack each 15/30/60ml bottles over and over.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I reuse PP, LDPE, and HDPE plastic bottles. I don't buy nor reuse PET bottles, since the other 3 absolutely will not leech into the contents. Like others above, if I'm making more of the same eliquid...I just make it in the same bottle. If it's a new recipe, I use a new plastic bottle.

The only things I buy and use polycone caps on are the amber glass bottles of nic base for the freezer and my working amber glass bottle of it left out. The bottles and caps get reused only for more nic base.

Some flavorings I order from OSDIY in the 1 oz. and 4oz. sizes come in glass bottles with polycone caps. Those I just use until they're empty and then reuse the glass bottle itself, with a new polycone cap. I get the caps from GlassBottleOutlet.com for only 13 cents each.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    The pure stuff evaporates a lot cleaner and faster than, say, a nice bourbon does.

Ethanol is used as a solvent in some flavor concentrates but it adds a "harshness" to the finished liquid if not left to evaporate. I haven't heard of anyone actually adding it; most that I'm aware of (here in the DIY community, anyway, can't say for retail liquids) use PG or DW (distilled water) if some thinning is needed.

I don't know much about isopropanol except that it's toxic to ingest. I don't know anything about other forms of consumption so I just play it safe and let it evaporate fully, if I am compelled to use it in the first place.

No, I definately meant the retail products for using ethynol as a thinner, I expect DW is the major choice with our DIYs.
    I've read plenty about letting it air out for a bit (the "harshness" makes sense) but as said I've never had one.

Cleaning on the other hand... wth some states barring the sale of PGA (Everclcear etc.) I suspect vodka is the go to choice. Though I've used ISO many times (admitedly more for attys and DTs) and never noticed any lingering scent even with a quick air dry period.

Keep the bourbon for internal applications. ;)

Reactions: bwh79

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    I don't wash bottles if I'm refilling with the same juice. I rinse out bottles with just warm water if I change flavors. The only plastic bottles I use are 30 and 60ml squeeze bottles that I use for daily refill of my tanks. I use glass bottles 120ml or larger to store my large batch mixes.

flambo

Feb 24, 2016
    Rayonia
    So far, I've refilled with the same flavour.

300°F will nuke any beasties who've survived having their water sucked out of them.
    (Remember osmosis & the reason salt & sugar are used to preserve food?)

A few drops left of the previous mixture can only help, unless it was past its prime.

If you wanted to recycle without cleaning, you could fill with unflavoured and use that with a compatible flavour in a tank.
    I often vape "unflavoured" but at 25mg/ml, MFS nic has a taste.
    Also, towards the end of a bottle, some mixes have too much flavour, so an ad hoc dilution is needed.
    I rarely use tanks, and my fave little "away" tank had some juice sitting in it for months, and the flavour was too strong. (I now carry a 10ml bottle of "unflavoured" just in case).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread