Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Since I started in '09, I haven't experienced this at all. However, I vape much less today than I did when I was breaking away from a 43 year 2-3 PAD habit at the end.

Sunday I started feeling the effects of a cold coming on- kind of a sore throat but not really. Yesterday really felt bad and when I woke this morning, the remnants of it plus a headache. I grabbed my PV early and have been using it consistently this morning. I've found this technique has helped me get past a cold in a couple days. We'll see if it works this time.

I can see if you're vaping constantly during the day developing issues if you're inclined toward those issues and particularly if creating heavy clouds of vapor are part of your technique. I go for flavor and minimum visible cloud. I go through, at most, a ml a day at this point.

noel18

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2014
Parkton, MD USA
Yeah, I'm done. Tired of clearing my throat, snorting back thick mucus, losing my voice, dry-coughing... I use my voice primarily for work, and I sound like an old man aspirating. I'm like a walking bucket of phlegm bubbling and globbing around in my throatular cavities. If I keep it up any longer, there will undoubtedly be long-term issues. It's foolish to think otherwise.

I vaped for nearly 4 years. Hey, it got me off of analogs, so that's a big plus!

I hope I can do that too. I defeinitely got the phlegm thing going but the thought of not vaping frightens me just like the thought of not smoking used to do.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Here's a thought I had. Maybe some people are having problems with phlegm because after long years of smoking, their lungs aren't healthy enough to handle inhaling vapor from eliquid. It seems like vegetable glycerin would be the worst for them in this aspect, because it's so much thicker. But I'm thinking that since most people don't have phlegm issues, their lungs are healthy or healthy-ish compared to the people having the problem, their lungs can clean the small amount of residue from vaping, but these few people that are having trouble with phlegm, it's because their lungs aren't capable of cleaning out the little bit of residue from vaping? Just a thought that I had.

Reactions: David Wolf

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Quitting smoking will result in massive phlegm production for most people. Sometimes it will last a month or two depending on how much crap it has to clean out. That's what phlegm is, really gross lung and throat cleaner. As a rule of thumb though, anything that overly irritates your throat, bronchial tubes, or lungs will cause phlegm as well. Quitting is hard on that part of your body, and vaping, until you're used to it, can be a mild irritant that will just make more phlegm. But in the long run, once everything is all cleaned out and you're used to vapor there shouldn't be much phlegm unless you get sick or inhale really really hot vapor and torch your innards lol.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I had phlegm issues for a month after quitting analogs' smoking and switching to vaping. Then, no more.
I've reduced my nic levels too - between 3 to 6 mg., so it could be that. I vape mostly for flavor - no clouds.
I got surgery for dental implants done 3 weeks back with zero problems.

The reason I brought up clouds is because of the volume of liquid used to creat those clouds. I have a friend that loves the sub ohm world. He has some tasty nicquids but I can't handle the volume. I'm such a lightweight at this point.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am not a cloud chaser, running 60/40 pg/vg and happy at 8watts and 1.4ohms. That said, I stopped producing phlegm when I stopped analogs. Prior to vaping, I would produce a significant amount, but I am clear as a bell four months into vaping.

The phlegm doesn't usually appear for a few years after vaping.

KiloWatts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
West Philadelphia
The phlegm doesn't usually appear for a few years after vaping.

Correct. When I stopped analogs nearly 4 years ago and switched to e-cigs, I had the expected "clearing out" period. Coughed up all sorts of stuff. Then, everything was marvelous for a while, maybe 2 years. Then slowly I started noticing what feels like a constant frog in my throat that has been getting worse and worse over time.

On top of this, I've begun to lose my voice. I'm not exactly "hoarse" in the way a cigarette smoker is hoarse. But I have a dry, nasally voice now. I also sing regularly, and I have noticed that sometimes I cannot hit the higher notes. I'll go to sing them, but nothing will come out. Just air. This suggests that something is happening to the vocal chords as well. Hopefully not nodules.

At any rate, I'm finishing my bottle of 6mg, and I have a big bottle of 0mg to help me on my short farewell. I'm 35 now - I need to be free of all addictions. There may not yet be solid evidence of harm from vaping, but it's definitely in my way and holds me back. I'm dropping stuff and breaking it cause I'm trying to one-hand it while my mod is in the other. I'm sitting around vaping when I could be doing other productive things. But I digress, this thread is about the phlegm.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Correct. When I stopped analogs nearly 4 years ago and switched to e-cigs, I had the expected "clearing out" period. Coughed up all sorts of stuff. Then, everything was marvelous for a while, maybe 2 years. Then slowly I started noticing what feels like a constant frog in my throat that has been getting worse and worse over time.

On top of this, I've begun to lose my voice. I'm not exactly "hoarse" in the way a cigarette smoker is hoarse. But I have a dry, nasally voice now. I also sing regularly, and I have noticed that sometimes I cannot hit the higher notes. I'll go to sing them, but nothing will come out. Just air. This suggests that something is happening to the vocal chords as well. Hopefully not nodules.

At any rate, I'm finishing my bottle of 6mg, and I have a big bottle of 0mg to help me on my short farewell. I'm 35 now - I need to be free of all addictions. There may not yet be solid evidence of harm from vaping, but it's definitely in my way and holds me back. I'm dropping stuff and breaking it cause I'm trying to one-hand it while my mod is in the other. I'm sitting around vaping when I could be doing other productive things. But I digress, this thread is about the phlegm.

Doesn't have to be from vaping, though, especially when it took so long to appear and others Vape for years with no side effects. I'm not trying to argue, if you got phlegm that sucks man, I feel for you, but you should look into the possibility that something else or some unconnected condition may be causing this, as you seem to be a minority in this. If it is some unconnected condition you would want to catch it early on. Try not telling the doctor you Vape and see what happens. If you tell him you Vape he may just say it's that without actually looking into it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I think a lot depends on volume and physiology. A lot of people vape like they smoked or more frequently.

Personally, I was a heavy duty smoker and after over 5 years I'm a lightweight vaper.

However, I hear you on the singing. I can't hit the high notes or the low ones for that matter. Of course, I never could. :)

Evokazz

Sep 12, 2012
UK
This thread was the reason I joined here. I was smoking 50 analogues a day for about 10 years. So pretty heavy, I quit for 3 years cold turkey, and then carried on urgh. When the E-Cigg craze hit, and jumped on the bandwagon 2 years ago and exclusively used E-Ciggs.

For the first 4 months or so, I was coughing up phlegm, black in color and green...nice, after a while this vanished, my sense of taste came back, and my throat was clear. My problem is my E-Cigg has become an extension of my limbs, It is always in my hand, even when in the bathtub, I vape while gaming, while watching TV, while out and about, I am constantly using it, I used to feel I was abusing it, but apparently, many ex smokers are hogging their E-Ciggs like me, some more so. Mine is in my hand right now as I type, I never put it down.

Just an idea how much I use it. Like many others.

2 Years on, I developed a real tight chest, if I run, my breathing sounds like it did when I smoked analogues. In the past 4 weeks I have developed a build up of mucus in my throat, that is constantly there, it feels like a lump is always there, but it is mucus. It is worse at night preventing sleep.

While the first year or so may be heaven on E-Ciggs, eventually they will catch up with you, as someone in this thread said, anything that lines the lungs other than oxygen is not good, I strongly believe we have replaced one toxin with another, while E-Ciggs clearly aren't as dangerous as ciggs, for us smokers to convince ourself (like I have) that we have found a safe alternative, we are kidding ourselves. Experts are already trying to link E-Ciggs with pnumonia and such, and although no official verdict is out, Im starting to see, and feel like E-Ciggs are catching up with me.

These things are still new, short term they are fantastic, but as time goes on, people are starting to see and feel that the actual danger is long term.

I agree with the dude above me, physiology and volume will be situational between vapours.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
This thread was the reason I joined here. I was smoking 50 analogues a day for about 10 years. So pretty heavy, I quit for 3 years cold turkey, and then carried on urgh. When the E-Cigg craze hit, and jumped on the bandwagon 2 years ago and exclusively used E-Ciggs.

For the first 4 months or so, I was coughing up phlegm, black in color and green...nice, after a while this vanished, my sense of taste came back, and my throat was clear. My problem is my E-Cigg has become an extension of my limbs, It is always in my hand, even when in the bathtub, I vape while gaming, while watching TV, while out and about, I am constantly using it, I used to feel I was abusing it, but apparently, many ex smokers are hogging their E-Ciggs like me, some more so. Mine is in my hand right now as I type, I never put it down.

2 Years on, I developed a real tight chest, if I run, my breathing sounds like it did when I smoked analogues. In the past 4 weeks I have developed a build up of mucus in my throat, that is constantly there, it feels like a lump is always there, but it is mucus. It is worse at night preventing sleep.

While the first year or so may be heaven on E-Ciggs, eventually they will catch up with you, as someone in this thread said, anything that lines the lungs other than oxygen is not good, I strongly believe we have replaced one toxin with another, while E-Ciggs clearly aren't as dangerous as ciggs, for us smokers to convince ourself (like I have) that we have found a safe alternative, we are kidding ourselves. Experts are already trying to link E-Ciggs with pnumonia and such, and although no official verdict is out, Im starting to see, and feel like E-Ciggs are catching up with me.

These things are still new, short term they are fantastic, but as time goes on, people are starting to see and feel that the actual danger is long term.

I agree with the dude above me, physiology and volume will be situational between vapours.

I have not seen real science prove what you are saying. I am 5 and a half years in, and no problems. I have some phlegm, but nothing like when I smoked. There are other pollutants we inhale day and night. I'm not ready to hang that on ecigs. As far as "danger" that sounds like fearmongering. The only danger I see are the idiots chasing bigger and bigger clouds in unsafe ways.

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina

It sounds like you have other issues going on. I have been vaping for 3+ years and no problems. There is no science that even begins to suggest side effects as serious as what you are having. I am sure that vaping is not 100% safe (what in life is?). I would recommend that you visit with a doctor to try and get healthy for 2015. Perhaps vaping is not for you. Good luck!

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Many people use these various devices for a long time with no adverse reactions, but some do have issues, mostly with the base liquids or some flavourings. Some are sensitive to PG to the point it can cause all manner of problems including chest & breathing difficulties. Others are sensitive to VG in a similar way.
(It's similar to the fact that millions can use Statins, but many thousands can't).

6 weeks in, I found I have a sensitivity to PG which has actually become much worse over the months, and does cause me serious breathing difficulties by closing my airways if I use liquids with too much PG in them - it can be relieved by the use of Ventolin and something like theophylline tablets ....in the long term, these are obviously not good solutions.
I'm best if I can use Max VG liquids with only the minimal amount of PG that is used in the flavourings, and my main supplier even uses VG based nicotine.
I do sometimes have a few days of using 100% VG liquids such as those from Velvet Cloud.

However, VG in high percentages can cause the lungs to feel heavy and sometimes become congested, particularly in the upper section of the lungs and also airways - this in turn results in phlegm, and it's a problem I have too.

The odd days of very noticeable problems that I get at regular intervals are no doubt due to a build up of reaction to both base liquids.
It's either use them with considered care and make a very conscious effort not to inhale, or give up altogether, and I know that for the time being at least, I can't do that.
I have reduced nicotine strength to around .4mg, but the hand to mouth and drawing on something similar to a cigarette is probably the main problem. There are days I do feel the need for more nicotine though, so still a way to go! :)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Evokazz, I was right with you on smoking, having been in the 2-3 PAD range for about the same time in my 43 years on cigarettes. I'm a month and a half from five years since my last drag on a smoke. Don't know what you were smoking, but I had dropped back to ultra lights over time. My smoker's cough and nightly wheeze disappeared within 2 weeks of vaping and over time, as I broke the hand to mouth, the "need to vape" subsided. I also found Swedish snus during my first 6 months when I was breaking away from my cigarettes, Four to five portions took care of my need and still do. I vape maybe a ml every couple days now and have no issues.

I tend to agree that there may be some adverse effects if you can't put the device down. Too much of almost anything has unintended consequences. In addition, just because you quit smoking doesn't eliminate the damage already done. I know you mentioned coughing up a lot of junk, I didn't have those issues. My main problem was bleeding gums which cleared in a month or so and I already had some periodontal problems which have improved since quitting.

It can take 10 years to get past all the problems they blame on smoking and I'd be concerned, if I were you, and check with a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread