E-ciggs in Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

texastumbleweed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2008
DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!
i am a former prison nurse and have worked in maximum security male penitentiaries in two states-Texas and Georgia. Texas prisons are non-smoking. Georgia prisons are smoking. The problem is that the hardware would be considered contraband and can be misused. Convicts can get pretty handy and inventive with anything that has a "charge". It will NEVER happen. I can bet on it. They would also misuse nicotine juice, overdosing etc. When you break the law, you lose your rights. Dont mess with Texas.

SlimXero

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
Seffner, Florida
I can tell you as a current Correctional Officer, this will NEVER be authorized. Too many variables that could hurt/kill. Exposing an atomizer = burn someone. Liquid = easy way to poison. Further, ANYTHING with a charger/battery is closely monitored as any of those things can be modified to charge cell phone batteries. Hell, i catch crap for bringing MY e-cig to work. So yeah, no it won't happen. I can't guarantee it.

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
I see no reason, personally. If the whole "being physically barred from physically obtaining nicotine" isn't a good, swift ...-kick in the "get off the analogs" ..., the problem isn't the drug.

That said, I have no qualms about it. Since it's quite possible in the USA to end up in a jail cell for a totally peaceful, voluntary transaction, I'm not quite willing to write off luxuries and creature comforts for people in prisons so long as they're funded voluntarily.

SlimXero

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
Seffner, Florida
Wow. I think a lot you don't understand how prison life really works... They're allowed cigarettes and dip, so the filter and "no nicotine" arguments are moot. AFAIK, the only prison's that prohibit nicotine products completely are Juvenile facilities. They tried to ban cigarettes from the Florida prison system a few years ago; the result was riots and officers losing their lives. As far as batteries being used as explosives, they can buy batteries from the canteen's (stores run inside the prison), although they are only alkaline it's still possible to blow them up or cause fires with them. I can't speak for every system, but in the state run department in Florida, they don't get satellite tv. Digital over the air broadcasts, complete with big *** antennas on top of the dormitory's. They get approximately 4 channels. As far as "free", i dunno that i would call it that. Don't get me wrong, I'm no proponent of inmate rights or think they should have luxuries, etc., but every inmate in my prison has a job or is physically disabled or is in confinement. I do mean every. The inmates are entirely responsible for ~99% of the prison upkeep. That includes landscaping, lawn maintenance, regular maintenance, janitorial, construction, cooking, taking care of disabled inmates, biohazard cleanup, the list goes on and on. We have a saying in the DOC: NOTHING is free in prison. Not trying to preach, just pitching in my $0.02, take it cum gratis salis.

charmed412

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
constant state of confusion
Unfortunately I must admit that my 25 yo son is in minimum security prison now for a probation violation. There is no smoking or chew allowed in Kansas prisons. They do work for 60 cents a day. Where my son is, they do not have cable tv or tvs for that matter at all unless they are on a certain level and have the $150 to buy the 9 inch screen tv that the commissary sells. Most of these inmates sat in county jails for a long time before being transfered to prison. They couldn't smoke there either so they are essentially not smokers when they head to prison so they don't need to start again.
As a former nurse in a women's recovery center, I would have been slightly hesitant to allow e cigs. I don't know that our short handed staff could have monitered the juice, etc. They could have cigs but only in heavily inspected sealed packs. I had my hands full with women withdrawing from .... and oxy (the two worst withdrawls IMHO) and the newborns I got that were withdrawing. If a rehab facility can moniter it, I say it brings a whole new meaning to a new start at life.

tornado9015

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Braintree
There are various levels of security in prison. A maximum security prison is not a joke. They are not provided with "luxuries" of any kind. I'd like to see anybody here complaining about the good life they have, work for $0.60 an hour, eat food that has been brought to courts many times as cruel and unusual punishment, live in a cell probably smaller then your bathroom, among the numerous other hazards of maximum security prison life.

That being said, minimum security prison, which is NOT where murderers and rapists go, isn't as bad. They do have cable TV, and some things that may be considered luxuries. Just about every single one of them would rather be free, but it isn't as bad. In a minimum security prison, I could potentially see e-cigs eventually being allowed, but I highly doubt it. And unless I end up in prison, it doesn't really affect me, so I'm not worried about it.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Washington is smoke free also and they will never let it in the prisons here. My brother in law is a guard at McNeil Island and he tells me there is a good black market going on in there though. You can get anything in there if you have the money. But like I said before some of the federal prison camps are like country clubs. They have golf courses, bowling alleys, many things you wouldn't see in state prisons so I'm sure they have their Cuban cigars in there too. Prison camps where they send politicians and celebs. They used to be in federal prisons.

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Wow. I think a lot you don't understand how prison life really works... They're allowed cigarettes and dip, so the filter and "no nicotine" arguments are moot. AFAIK, the only prison's that prohibit nicotine products completely are Juvenile facilities. They tried to ban cigarettes from the Florida prison system a few years ago; the result was riots and officers losing their lives. As far as batteries being used as explosives, they can buy batteries from the canteen's (stores run inside the prison), although they are only alkaline it's still possible to blow them up or cause fires with them. I can't speak for every system, but in the state run department in Florida, they don't get satellite tv. Digital over the air broadcasts, complete with big *** antennas on top of the dormitory's. They get approximately 4 channels. As far as "free", i dunno that i would call it that. Don't get me wrong, I'm no proponent of inmate rights or think they should have luxuries, etc., but every inmate in my prison has a job or is physically disabled or is in confinement. I do mean every. The inmates are entirely responsible for ~99% of the prison upkeep. That includes landscaping, lawn maintenance, regular maintenance, janitorial, construction, cooking, taking care of disabled inmates, biohazard cleanup, the list goes on and on. We have a saying in the DOC: NOTHING is free in prison. Not trying to preach, just pitching in my $0.02, take it cum gratis salis.

Wow. thank you for that! It amazes me how many people think that it is like the Hilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread