E-Cigs and Asthma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
I don't think it has anything to do with ecigs, but more to do with quitting regular smoking. I once had a doctor tell me that if I quit smoking then the asthma I suffered from as a child could return. He said something along the lines of smoking paralyzes the cilia (little hairs in your lungs) that would get covered with mucus which caused asthma. Quitting smoking would stop that from happening and could cause asthma to return. He stressed that this was by no means a reason to continue smoking since there were lots of other much more serious health risks from smoking.

Since I quit smoking I've had one mild asthma attack after two decades of not having any. So far I still feel way better being off the cigarettes. I would recommend seeing your doctor and getting his/her take on your current asthmatic condition.

des09

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
Utah
I don't think it has anything to do with ecigs, but more to do with quitting regular smoking. I once had a doctor tell me that if I quit smoking then the asthma I suffered from as a child could return. He said something along the lines of smoking paralyzes the cilia (little hairs in your lungs) that would get covered with mucus which caused asthma. Quitting smoking would stop that from happening and could cause asthma to return. He stressed that this was by no means a reason to continue smoking since there were lots of other much more serious health risks from smoking.

Since I quit smoking I've had one mild asthma attack after two decades of not having any. So far I still feel way better being off the cigarettes. I would recommend seeing your doctor and getting his/her take on your current asthmatic condition.

Another anecdotal data point: My father suffers from sports related asthma, and reduced lung capacity. He smoked for 20 years, and tried many many times to quit ( using patches, before vaping was widely known of), with varying degrees of success. Almost every time he quit, he had acute asthma attacks, and often suffered from bronchitis, both of these "improved" when he resumed smoking.

He has finally become an ex-smoker, for 4 years now, I believe, yay Dad - proud of you!

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
It's probably the result of quitting smoking, since the asthma inhaler you use is likely made with the same base as your e-cig (propylene glycol). The ingredients of e-cigs and asthma inhalers are similar except that the inhaler gives you medicine and the e-cigs give you nicotine.

Inhaled ciclosporin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
QUOTE:
Formulation of the drug for inhalation purposes has proved challenging because of ciclosporin's poor aqueous solubility.[5] Consequently, aerosol studies have often employed compatible solvents such as propylene glycol[6] or ethanol[7] as the vehicle for administration by nebulizer or have used more complicated aqueous-based formulations involving liposomes [8][9] or other dispersions.[10] Dry powder inhaler [11][12] as well as propellant metered dose inhaler (pMDI) formulations [13][14] have also been created and evaluated in the laboratory and in early clinical studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread