eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
This is what I've been wanting to hear. I'm on my first CLR builds and wondering how long the insulators will last. Been thinking of going to nr-r-nr wires to avoid heat damage to the insulators. Can I assume your using regular resistance wire? With this sort of longevity I'll just stay with normal wire. Thanks for the info.

You're correct that the insulators are the weakest link in the CLR scheme. I just use 30 Kanthal for my coils. 5 turns on a machine screw puts me right at 1.65 - 1.66 ohms. I'm tootle puffin too @Nanny22 9.5 watts and I'm happy.

I know the Joytech site says you can dry burn the CLRs, and I have (carefully) a few times, but I moved away from that practice, and just recoil when I rewick. It doesn't take much more effort, and I think (just my opinion) that it's much easier on the insulators. I have a limited electronics background and know that once you burn the edge of the insulator, and it leaves that little black mark (called a carbon trace, I believe) that leaves a path for current to jump to ground, at that trace. At the low current levels of tootle puffin, it may not be a big deal, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I like to be kind on my insulators..lol. I'll pre-wind a few dozen coils when I'm just watching TV. I just toss them in a little 35 mm film canister, so it's easy to put in a fresh coil when I rebuild. I sure wish I could find a source for the insulators.

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
For those who might be new and haven't yet seen a rebuilding video for the CLR head, here's one example to take a look at. The video makes it look so easy, I just might "toss my hat over the fence" as Cheech says, and give it a shot with that dead coil I have set aside.

I believe it was done by my dear friend, Andrea. Bless her heart. We can't understand a single word we say to each other, but she wants me to enjoy every single one moment of this beautiful life. :lol::lol::lol: And she digs Christmas carols.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
You're correct that the insulators are the weakest link in the CLR scheme. I just use 30 Kanthal for my coils. 5 turns on a machine screw puts me right at 1.65 - 1.66 ohms. I'm tootle puffin too @Nanny22 9.5 watts and I'm happy.

I know the Joytech site says you can dry burn the CLRs, and I have (carefully) a few times, but I moved away from that practice, and just recoil when I rewick. It doesn't take much more effort, and I think (just my opinion) that it's much easier on the insulators. I have a limited electronics background and know that once you burn the edge of the insulator, and it leaves that little black mark (called a carbon trace, I believe) that leaves a path for current to jump to ground, at that trace. At the low current levels of tootle puffin, it may not be a big deal, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I like to be kind on my insulators..lol. I'll pre-wind a few dozen coils when I'm just watching TV. I just toss them in a little 35 mm film canister, so it's easy to put in a fresh coil when I rebuild. I sure wish I could find a source for the insulators.

Some great tips here. Thanx again.

Really still have no idea what my final build will end up being yet. I only have 2 Megas both came with the .5 DTL coils. The .5s were beating the stuffin outta my 18350s so I scrapped the coils. Rebuilt one to 1.08 and one to 1.27. I'm leaning more toward the higher side probably try 1.4ish next. I like a tighter DTL so I've got a 5 pack of the 1ohm MTL on the FT slow boat. Likely won't get settled in until I get to check out both airflow options.

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
Some great tips here. Thanx again.

Really still have no idea what my final build will end up being yet. I only have 2 Megas both came with the .5 DTL coils. The .5s were beating the stuffin outta my 18350s so I scrapped the coils. Rebuilt one to 1.08 and one to 1.27. I'm leaning more toward the higher side probably try 1.4ish next. I like a tighter DTL so I've got a 5 pack of the 1ohm MTL on the FT slow boat. Likely won't get settled in until I get to check out both airflow options.

My pleasure. Glad I could pass on something useful. I hoard the insulators whenever I can. I don't use the factory coils that come with the tanks, but I save them for the insulators.

There was a guy at work that used an Ego One, and he would go the the local B&M when it was time for a change, and he would have them swap the coil out for him. I tried to enlighten him about the CLRs but he liked convenience, and it gave him a reason to go the the B&M and socialize with the people there. I had him saving his old coils for me, and I'd scavenge the insulator out of it..lol.

He recently got fired, so that source is down the drain.

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
I'm still using my original 4 coils. I've only re-coiled one.
Isn't it wonderful, Fran??
Wh3bZoUV_400x400.png

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
To open JFC, is it clockwise or counter clockwise. I always forget. :cry:

well IMR fix'd ya up just fine... ;)

not much to remember, just screw it down to open window WIDE , so thick eJuice will flow into...

on the flip-flop; screw it up to close the window if your THIN eJuice poors into, making it flood and gurgle...
and of course, anywhere in between...

upload_2016-12-5_15-28-35.png

*funny how in picture, coil is depicted at an east to west instead of north to south orientation - just to show user it is a horizontal coil (not vertical)

:evil:
upload_2016-12-5_15-46-0.png
:evil:

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
LOL @Detroit Doug ! "Sticking it to the man" is a favorite saying around our house! We are retired (otherwise known as "going BROKE") so we make things last, use coupons when we can, etc. Many a time my husband and I have high fived eachother as we are walking out of a restaurant after using a half off dinner coupon! We always say "Way to go, stickin' it to the man!" Maybe it's a Detroit thing, brother! :thumbs:
Either way, these CLR coils are the best!

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
LOL @Detroit Doug ! "Sticking it to the man" is a favorite saying around our house! We are retired (otherwise known as "going BROKE") so we make things last, use coupons when we can, etc. Many a time my husband and I have high fived eachother as we are walking out of a restaurant after using a half off dinner coupon! We always say "Way to go, stickin' it to the man!" Maybe it's a Detroit thing, brother! :thumbs:
Either way, these CLR coils are the best!

LOL, maybe it is a Detroit thing! The retirement stage is getting close here too. I can't wait! I just mentioned to my youngest daughter, yesterday. One more house payment to go! Her reply was 'Way to go, Dad. Stick it to the man!'...LOL

I got the 'fix it, rebuild it, make it last' gene from my parents. Maybe that comes from them growing up during the depression. I'm not sure, but the CLRs just fit that thought process. 'Rebuild it, make it last'. They just keep workin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread