Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Had lots of questions for someone that got one, but sounds like yours is malfunctioning. 5 clicks should turn unit on. look at instructions for stealth mode settings and make sure stealth is off. remove and reinstall atty base as if it is installed too tightly it will short causing unit to shut itself down for protection.

jsarangapani

Jan 14, 2016
Will post my initial review of the same shortly.. however the review itself has been shortlived!!!!!
have tried everything.. the OLED Screen only comes on when the mains are connected to it, does the routine of 5 clicks on and 5 clicks off, else it dies.. tried firing it when connected to power, says "Atomiser Short" Wonder what exactly is going on here...

Shall post my first review of the unit though....

Reactions: Tpat591

jsarangapani

Jan 14, 2016
e-Grip-VT

I was mighty excited on the e-Grip-VT which appeared to be an excellent stealth vape device with its unusually small form factor. Also major attraction was that it would fit in the palm of my hand. So I pre ordered my unit despite reading the negative reviews on the previous models of the OLED CS and CL variants and dived headlong. As a first detailed review of this unit to my fellow vapers and hopefully to any joyetech employee who is trolling our blog, I hope I do not miss out on too many aspects and provide sufficient feedback to enable you to make an informed decision on this unit.
In a nut shell

PROS
1. Excellent form factor with its tiny size
2. Packs 30W with Temperature Control incorporated
3. Can use existing coils of ego series
4. Spare gaskets and silicone rings

CONS
1. Terrible manual which does not tell you anything
2. Very inconvenient filling hole which only works with a syringe tank
3. Does not work with the eGrip RBA base (a Huge disappointment)
4. Cannot vary wattage in the VT mode.
5. Cannot work below 0.2 Ohms
6. Cannot lock resistance

Technical Specifications.

1. 30W device with Variable Temperature (VT) function and Variable Wattage (VW) function.
2. Pre-programmed for both Nickel (Ni) and Titanium (Ti) coils
3. 1500 mAh battery
4. Up to 600 Deg F in temperature mode
5. 3.6 ml tank capacity.

In the Box

1* eGrip mouthpiece
1* eGrip VT Body
1* eGo ONE CL 1.0 Ohm Head
1* eGo ONE CL-Ni 0.2 Ohm Head
1* eGo One CL-Ti 0.5 Ohn Head
1* eGrip CL Base
1* 1A wall adapter (EU Plug)
1* USB Cable
1* Warranty card and user manual
1* Plastic packet with gaskets and spares

Observations for the first time use:

A simple open fill and use to start with as it comes with the standard 1.0 CL head preinstalled. Ok to fire up and use in the VW mode, battery also came almost fully charged. It has a tiny screw at the base which allows you to regulate the air flow.

First thing I noticed that the needle fill port though a good idea was extremely small and does not work well for most of the e-liquids, even Joyetech’s bottles was an effort. Read in reviews later on that you could fill from the base by unscrewing the coil to refill.

After a few hours vaping with the VW mode, I wanted to migrate to the preferred use with the Variable Temp which is why I bought this unit in the first instance. Figuring that I would prefer to go with the CLR head I tried to put the CLR unit inside. Immediately noticeable was the iffy and vague threading which kept me wondering if I had secured the CLR coil correctly. Convinced that I had I tried to screw back the base into the body. Was a terrible fit with about 1 mm still left to screw in, unbelievable and extremely frustrating. After many attempts and scouring through the internet looking for a trouble shooter or guide to tell me what I was doing wrong, found a review which spoke of a silicone cap to be placed on top of the head to prevent leakage. Could not for the life of me remember if the original 1.0 CL head had the cap or not
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
. I hunted like crazy around my desk and it was still not found
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I looked into the spare gaskets accessories packet and sure enough found something that resembled a cap which appeared to sit correctly on the head, so I put this on and screwed it up. NO CIGAR, it was still a bad fit and when I unscrewed the base the blasted cap was cut into two pieces!!!!!!
angry.gif
Just Brilliant…

I then pulled out a standard 0.2 Ohm Ni Head and fitted it up to find that the fit was perfect and the Coil base screwed up flush with the unit. This time I charged up the tank from the rear avoiding the central funnel, this works just fine. Screwed the base back on and let the unit stand for about an hour or so to ensure that it wouldn’t leak considering I still didn’t know if you needed the silicone cap or no above the coil head. I found no such leaks from the base. I guess there is no head silicone cap as reviewed elsewhere

0.2 Ohm Ni coil fires well and gives a good cloud as well a vapour. I also realised that using the VT mode one cannot adjust the wattage which is fixed at 30W for this operation. I simply cannot understand why, however if didn’t bother me much as I find the same with my eVic-VT. I also realised that you cannot lock the resistance.

When it ask if new coil up it means you turn the dial clockwise it no you need to turn counter clockwise, this too had no mention in the manual, I had to learn this.

I tried to mount the eGrip RBA base into this unit, doesn’t work. Which is a bloody shame as it was a good way to be able to rebuild your coils and/or re-wick which doesn’t seem possible at present.

FINAL WORD:

Seems like a hurried creation of the VT model in the eGrip. Care could have been taken so it could use the better features of the original eGrip like the RBA base integrated into this unit as well.

I would say this is a unit is good with its form factor and light weight and an attractive alternative for persons who go for meetings etc. and is scary to have a monster MOD with you, apart from that at present there appear to be far too many niggles to make it really worth a buy. For the present I am just happy having this unit as my “carry to meetings” MOD and have sufficient spares of eGo CL coils so as to make do which discourages constant use.

I can now safely confirm that it doesn't leak and that the silicone caps over the coil heads are not required

Breaking news however is that the unit is now dead... hardly used it twice....

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Guessing here from my experience with CL Egrip, but according to VT videos the silicone caps are necessary. Without one installed, it would be possible to screw the atty base in too far causing the base to cause the short preventing operation.

Silicon caps do not fit well in CLR heads due to the metal sleeve pressed into the cap orifice. I usually knock the sleeve out of the screw cap with a #2 Phillips bit and this allows the CLR head to accept the silicone cap easily.

From the literature it appears the old RBA Base should theoretically work with the VT but it is not mentioned as compatible. What happens? Does it not screw in completely?

Last edited:

jsarangapani

Jan 14, 2016
Well actually I did, but syringed it with the funnel removed...

If it were stone dead, would it still do the power up on USB charging mode?

I also mounted the silicone cap but again causes the base to stick out

Also the CLR coil fits yes and works too but the base doesn't fit completely, leaves a 1mm approx protrusion...

Sent from my C9660 using Tapatalk

MissPink1985

Aug 28, 2015
Well actually I did, but syringed it with the funnel removed...

If it were stone dead, would it still do the power up on USB charging mode?

I also mounted the silicone cap but again causes the base to stick out

Also the CLR coil fits yes and works too but the base doesn't fit completely, leaves a 1mm approx protrusion...

Sent from my C9660 using Tapatalk
The problem is that they don't have enough sealant to protect the battery. If the battery dies, it can still power up on the usb connection although I don't think you can smoke it that way.

timm

Apr 17, 2009
Hi. Got an Egrip VT yesterday. Was routing around the internet trying to figure out whether the silicone cap was needed or not and ended up on this thread.

The cl head that came installed definitely did not have the cap on - but I think caps were included in the bag of spare parts.

There are video reviews on Youtube (all in German), that seem to show the washer on the bottom of the chimney sitting flush with the top of the coil head without the cap (I'll check this on mine when I get home). The manual does not mention the cap at all, whereas the Egrip OLED CL manual highlights the fact that it's needed. Maybe the design of the bottom of the chimney has changed, which is why the RBA base might not fit. Have to admit, I assumed the RBA base and the CS base would fit - hence the need for the cap.

If you look at Pauly Meatballs' review, he say's the CLR heads are compatible - although his hand-built coil's resistance was too low for the Egrip, so I wonder if he actually tried to fit one? I've ordered some anyway, so will experiment when they arrive.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Hi. Got an Egrip VT yesterday. Was routing around the internet trying to figure out whether the silicone cap was needed or not and ended up on this thread.

The cl head that came installed definitely did not have the cap on - but I think caps were included in the bag of spare parts.

There are video reviews on Youtube (all in German), that seem to show the washer on the bottom of the chimney sitting flush with the top of the coil head without the cap (I'll check this on mine when I get home). The manual does not mention the cap at all, whereas the Egrip OLED CL manual highlights the fact that it's needed. Maybe the design of the bottom of the chimney has changed, which is why the RBA base might not fit. Have to admit, I assumed the RBA base and the CS base would fit - hence the need for the cap.

If you look at Pauly Meatballs' review, he say's the CLR heads are compatible - although his hand-built coil's resistance was too low for the Egrip, so I wonder if he actually tried to fit one? I've ordered some anyway, so will experiment when they arrive.
Please post your findings as we are looking to see how these new units perform in the field. Judging by the pics above it appears that the silicon cap is not necessary, especially if it is not leaking all over the place. You could probably easily tell by removing the chimney/Vent tube from the unit and seeing how it mates with the top of the coil outside the unit. If it has a funnel type rim at the mating surface that engages the upper oring of a CL or CLR coil, the silicon cap would be unnecessary.

It is disturbing that @jsarangapani 's unit has crapped the bed so quickly and that does not bode well for these - but hopefully it is just a one off defective unit. I know more than a few Egrip died from getting water into the USB socket while cleaning them. While these were not was I was hoping for from Joyetech, I fully expected it to work properly and reliably. I had my doubts about battery capacity in TC mode but it might even be better than the non TC CL Version if it was implemented efficiently.

Have a number of Egrips of all styles but decided to sit on the sidelines on the VT in favor of Nebox. Still hoping Joyetech would come out with a direct competitor to Nebox that actually works properly in TC mode (Nebox does not).

timm

Apr 17, 2009
Had a chance to take a better look at the Egrip.
What I thought at first glance were silicone caps for the coil heads, are actually spare washers for the chimney/pipe. When you compare them side by side, they're quite a bit smaller. No silicone caps come packaged with the VT. The silicone cap (from my OLED) is the larger washer in the pic below.

The upper of the two O rings at the top of the base was broken the first time I unscrewed it - good job there are spares.

As confirmed by jsarangapani (cheers for the pics), the chimney slots into the top of the coil.
This means the chimney on the VT is longer than that on the original Egrip and the OLED, which is why the RBA base and the CS base/coils don't fit. It makes sense that Joyetech have updated the design because the silicone cap was really just a hack to get the CL coils working on the OLED with the CL base.

Either the early reviewers were incorrectly using the silicone cap (forcing it), or the length of the chimney has changed on the release version because there's no way the cap will fit. If you look at the video in Tpat591's post, the end of the chimney is exactly the same as the one on my VT i.e. the correct shape to fit straight into the top of the coil. It's a shame there's been some confusion over this - I assumed I'd be able to use the RBA base and the CS base. My plan was to see if I liked the NI and TI coils and if not, go back to BVC coils on the CS base or at least have the option to. Hopefully the CLR heads will be OK.

As for how it vapes: The temperature control seems to work fine, although I've got nothing to compare it to. The NI & TI coils have an airy draw for direct lung inhales. Personally I prefer vaping mouth to lung, and the reason I like the Egrip is because it's so stealthy - so not sure how well these coils suit it for that purpose, although it's good to have the option. Being able to clean the chimney is obviously a good thing.

I used the original Egrip just about every day for 12 months before it died (won't charge anymore - think the USB port is knackered). The tank on these things should be completely sealed and you should be able to carefully rinse it out with water without doing any damage - I use a syringe, rather than running it under the tap. My original Egrip only ever leaked when I packed the cotton in the RBA base badly. My Egrip OLED has a mystery leak that means there's sometimes juice on the inside of the silicone cover I use - but it's not a problem.

Hope that helps.

IMG_20160115_200821.jpg

IMG_20160115_201346.jpg

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Times like this that I wish I could like a post about a dozen times! Those pics explain the silicon like no one ever could and I never saw it in the original video which I will now review multiple times because I swear it I remember it looking like it did not enter the center of the coil orfice with an outer lip, but I'm sure I'll be wrong! Thanks again!

My apologies to jsarangapani for the bad info I posted before. I gotta learn that trying to help people with a piece of equipment I know nothing about usually ends badly!

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Certainly helped me and yet again I am wrong! Thank you so much Timm for helping me understand!

You are right that in the video they are the same. Shame Joyetech does not feel the need to inform their loyal customers of changes they employ.

upload_2016-1-15_19-43-56.png
Egrip vt tube.PNG

Certainly look the same to me! Fully understand now that old RBA is not compatible& why
(but it might be made so by drilling the Chamer screw cap). As memory serves the chamber screw cap had a raised lip at center of the top of the Vaulted chamber orifice that if drilled to same diameter as a CL Coil might just lower it enough overall to make it work in the new VT. Probably wrong there too but worth a shot for Timm or someone else to try for the good of all those who follow in their footsteps.

Last edited:

jsarangapani

Jan 14, 2016
Thank you so much for clarifying it to me.. I kept wondering if I had messed up...

But you're right, Joyetech does owe it to it's customers to have better instructions and manuals. While I agree many products are fairly simple straightforward, some advancements require good explanations and instructions

pardon my brevity as this was sent from my mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread