Enter The Snow Wolf... Simple Newb questions... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVapes

Moved On
Jul 30, 2015
So I recently made a post about contemplating buying the Cool Fire IV. The Snow Wolf is my other option.

I'm new in the game and I know its ill-advised for beginners but I'm a quick learner and the mod appeals to me. I like the power but I also like the craftsmanship. It seems well built, like it would last me a long time.

I have had problems with malfunctioning hardware beginning with the mvp 2.0 losing power to my ego one being an overheating, hot air spewing, piece of elephant dung.

I have some simple questions to help me decide whether to get the CF4 or the snow wolf and how I may even handle the latter.

1. what tank can I use with the snow wolf that can handle its power (or at least a decent amount of it)? I liked the kanger subtank mini but the coil on that thing says max 30w so that idea is dead in the water.

2. batteries. I should obviously get rechargeable 18650's no?

3. Volts. how do I know how many volts to use and when?

thats all told you they were simple. i may however add on later in the thread

any other advice, links, etc. are greatly appreciated my ecf brethren!

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
1. Well, the Snow Wolf is a Temp control mod, so it would be a waste to not use the temp control, right? You can get TC coils for the SubTank that are rated for 45 watts. I've got them but prefer the Smok TCT. With the TCT, I just set the Snow Wolf at 70 watts (the max temp control setting) and let it do what it needs. I do the same with the SubTank rba and my own nickel coils. There are quite a few tank choices if you will build your own coils.

2. I run Sony VTC4's and Samsung 25R's in my Snow Wolf. I wouldn't run the 25R's at the full 200 watts though. Check out @Mooch threads for great info on batteries. He does a lot of excellent testing.

3. Adjust them to what you like. If you are running a large diameter wire, or some of the crazy builds you see on YouTube, you will need more power. Standard coils that come with the average tank, start at the low end of the recommended spectrum, and adjust to get the vape you like. A lot of vaping comes down to personal preference.

I've never run my Snow Wolf over 100 watts. I bought it because it had features I wanted, even though I will probably never need the power it can produce.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have a Snow Wolf machine and I love it. I am unable to answer you about tanks, because I don't use any with replaceable coil heads-- I build my own-- and I don't run the SW anywhere near full power. I mostly use it in TC mode, and limit the watts to 40 because I am not running super-complex coil builds and I like battery life. Frankly, there aren't a lot of people who are actually vaping at 200 watts regularly unless they have stainless steel lips and leather lungs, that vape is *hot*. However, the high wattage is useful to quickly heat a complex coil to vapor temp in TC mode, but it doesn't stay there because the mod backs off the power once temp is attained. FWIW, I know there are replaceable coil tanks out there rated to 100 watts+, but not using them, I don't know what they are. I use Lemo 2s and get by just fine.

18650 batteries will be a requirement for the Snow Wolf. I recommend Sony VTC4s in all mech mods and all regulated mods 100 watts or above. You're also going to need a good charger. Look at the Nitecore or Xtar brands. I have an Xtar VC4 and I love it. The batteries should be purchased new for the mod, and kept in married pairs, always charged and discharged together.

You will not need to worry about volts. Volts are not selectable on the SW. You pick the watts, and the mod decides what voltage to use to get there given the current atomizer resistance.

Last edited:

DarkVapes

Moved On
Jul 30, 2015
I have a Snow Wolf machine and I love it. I am unable to answer you about tanks, because I don't use any with replaceable coil heads-- I build my own-- and I don't run the SW anywhere near full power. I mostly use it in TC mode, and limit the watts to 40 because I am not running super-complex coil builds and I like battery life. Frankly, there aren't a lot of people who are actually vaping at 200 watts regularly unless they have stainless steel lips and leather lungs, that vape is *hot*. However, the high wattage is useful to quickly heat a complex coil to vapor temp in TC mode, but it doesn't stay there because the mod backs off the power once temp is attained. FWIW, I know there are replaceable coil tanks out there rated to 100 watts+, but not using them, I don't know what they are. I use Lemo 2s and get by just fine.

18650 batteries will be a requirement for the Snow Wolf. I recommend Sony VTC4s in all mech mods and all regulated mods 100 watts or above. You're also going to need a good charger. Look at the Nitecore or Xtar brands. I have an Xtar VC4 and I love it. The batteries should be purchased new for the mod, and kept in married pairs, always charged and discharged together.

You will not need to worry about volts. Volts are not selectable on the SW. You pick the watts, and the mod decides what voltage to use to get there given the current atomizer resistance.

how many batteries should I purchase given i'm just going to recharge the .... out of them?

Reactions: SomeTexan

MIK3Y_D

Aug 2, 2015
how many batteries should I purchase given i'm just going to recharge the .... out of them?

I'm a newbie too. I own a cool fire 4 and I love it! The size is perfect, it's small but not too small and the way it feels in my hand is hard to put into words, so natural. If you want temp control I'd say get the istick 40tc or the ipv d2. If you want power the sigelei 150w is on sale on some sites for like 80 bucks. Snow wolf as great as it is, in my opinion is over kill. I'm more of a bang for my buck type of guy and knowing that all that power would never be used I'd skip out on it.

I heard any battery with at least a 20a continuous is fine just watch out for fakes!

Just my two cents. Happy vaping!

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
I'm a newbie too. I own a cool fire 4 and I love it! The size is perfect, it's small but not too small and the way it feels in my hand is hard to put into words, so natural. If you want temp control I'd say get the istick 40tc or the ipv d2. If you want power the sigelei 150w is on sale on some sites for like 80 bucks. Snow wolf as great as it is, in my opinion is over kill. I'm more of a bang for my buck type of guy and knowing that all that power would never be used I'd skip out on it.

I heard any battery with at least a 20a continuous is fine just watch out for fakes!

Just my two cents. Happy vaping!
From what I understand, the iStick 40tc doesn't temp control very well at all. Not something I would recomend to anyone yet.

MIK3Y_D

Aug 2, 2015
From what I understand, the iStick 40tc doesn't temp control very well at all. Not something I would recomend to anyone yet.

I've been looking for reviews as in interested in stepping into the TC world but haven't seen any good reviews besides pbusardo's and he made it sound like it's decent enough. Plus its only 27 bucks! I'm going to get my feet wet with either this or the ipv d2.. I sort of don't like the fixed battery aspect.

But OP I guess if youve got the money the snow wolf is cool, can't go wrong.

Reactions: SomeTexan

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
I've been looking for reviews as in interested in stepping into the TC world but haven't seen any good reviews besides pbusardo's and he made it sound like it's decent enough. Plus its only 27 bucks! I'm going to get my feet wet with either this or the ipv d2.. I sort of don't like the fixed battery aspect.

But OP I guess if youve got the money the snow wolf is cool, can't go wrong.

Have you done a search here? I've seen a thread about it in the tc mods section. More than one if I remember correctly.

But here is my thoughts on the subject; why buy a mod that you will be running at max power just to use? If you are using it at half the power it is designed to run at, you are stressing the components less and will get a longer life out of it. I don't know if that is the right way to look at it, but that's how I work...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I do not recommend the purchase of batteries for mods on Amazon or eBay. The VTC4s are often counterfeited. The seller might not even know. Let me suggest you buy them from RTDVapor, Orbtronic or Illumn. Last time I looked, both Orb and Illumn were temporarily our of stock on the VTC4s, and RTD had them on sale in the "Combo Deals" section, 4 batteries plus two safe storage cases for $29.00, which is cheaper than on your link.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
I didn't realize you had to set the temperature for the unit to adhere to. So how do I know which temperature to set it at?
Different attys and different juices like different temps. I would say start around 400 degrees f and adjust to suit you. In my TCT with Vape Wild max VG juices, I stay in the 430-450 range. My SubTank with the kanger Ni200 coils, I tend to stay around 420. With the rda and my own 28awg Ni200 build, 440 works best for me.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I didn't realize you had to set the temperature for the unit to adhere to. So how do I know which temperature to set it at?
I have mine set at 40 watts and 425 degrees. As per the usual advice, start low and work up until you get the vape you want. I't sure to vary with the tank and juice, anyway.

DarkVapes

Moved On
Jul 30, 2015
I do not recommend the purchase of batteries for mods on Amazon or eBay. The VTC4s are often counterfeited. The seller might not even know. Let me suggest you buy them from RTDVapor, Orbtronic or Illumn. Last time I looked, both Orb and Illumn were temporarily our of stock on the VTC4s, and RTD had them on sale in the "Combo Deals" section, 4 batteries plus two safe storage cases for $29.00, which is cheaper than on your link.

hmm seems limiting, like it will make it really difficult to find batteries which would be a deterrent. is buying the charger on amazon ok? XTAR VC4 Charger for Lithium-ion and Ni-MH Batteries - - Amazon.com

and ehre is where i'm thinking of getting the batteries as suggested above Sony 18650 VTC4 Battery Genuine & Tested - Flat Top-Wholesale Pricing – Liion Wholesale Batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread