Facebook to introduce a "Don't like" button

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Do you mean because it would actually create arguements rather than prevent them ?.

I thought that if it were an option then it could be used instead of members being vocal about their disagreements in some cases. Say if i didn't like your comment above i could just check the dislike button and there'd be no need for this post.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
How about this? Can we get one of these?
upload_2015-9-17_12-16-57.jpeg

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
So we have a "Like" button. Wouldn't it be practical to have a "don't like" button too ?.

IMHO, the entire system of likes and dislikes is ridiculous anyway.

Who cares if somebody likes or dislikes your opinion.......the whole point is to be able to freely give your opinion/perspective on things in the first place.

I'm sure there are people-pleasers and those who are terrified of not blending in with group-think who "work for likes" on forums, etc.

the idea that what you think or say is more or less valid simply because a number of other people agree or disagree is rather.......odd to me. :) People are always saying stuff like this though, such as "well it appears that more posters agree with me than you" and that this somehow makes them "more right". :lol:

Considering that most great leaps in science, mathematics, invention and discovery in general has always favored the odd ball (the idea that nobody else could wrap their head around) kinda disproves the group-think idea.

The "like" system CAN run the risk of a tendency to homogenize and promote single-identity type cliques and thinking.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
It's doubtful we'll ever implement something like that for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons?

You mean if you have a dislike button, but you also list the names of the dislikes (which would be where the problem lies).

I love the like/dislike buttons on youtube.
It saves people time.

I'm not much interested in *who* liked a post;
What I am interested in is a *rating* because I don't want to waste time reading junk
(hey, I'm over the hill, gotta economize on the time here!):vapor:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
To me the like button/feature shows me that someone has acknowledged my post. It is good to know someone read what i wrote. So on the other hand a "dislike" button could serve in a similar way. You may like or dislike a post but have no time or inclination to respond with text so the like/dislike makes sense in some instances.

I'm not sure if there are any obvious reasons not to have a dislike feature apart from what i mentioned in a previous post. And if there are other "obvious" reasons then i must be missing something.

If someone responds to a post by checking the like button then does it mean that if they don't check it they don't like it ?. If they don't respond with text and there is no dislike button then it kind of leaves things up in the air.

I see plenty of threads in any random forum where no one responds, haven't checked the like button, but dozens of people have read the post.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
In a Mature environment it would be useful.
Good luck finding one of those on the internet :lol:

In all honesty, I'm curious how it will all work out on FB when they implement it, but even if it's anonymous it's just a wide-open door for trolling and hurt feelings that we really don't need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread