Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm pretty well the same way. I can tell some flavors in vendor juice but generally speaking I either like or dislike the juice. I rarely go past 3 ingredient mixes it makes it nice and simple to DIY. I wouldn't make it very far either in the blind taste tests in Hells Kitchen. :)

I sense the flavors and nuances in the inhale and exhale, but have no idea at this point what's actually producing it. Sweetness is easy to detect and elements of tobacco are familiar. I get what woody and nutty taste like.

HIC's flavor reviews are my favorites.
HIC's "My notes on"

There's a well known vape shop close to me that has 70 or 80 flavors on their juice bar in top coil atomizers that you can switch back and forth using a throwaway plastic drip tip. Every time I've tried their juices there's the same weird background note in the juice. I wouldn't call it flavoring. It's just a strange element in the vape and it's in all the juices no matter what vendor made it. I won't name the juice brands, but it's common to all of them. I guess you could call it wet socks with a moldy component!

I don't get any of those unwanted components in the juice I mix at home. Maybe they need to change the atomizer coils more often.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1 and Kenna
Not sure where to post this, but hoping someone can help. I make my juice for hubby and myself. All day, every day vape. Been very happily using 555 from Mt Baker Vapor in it. Now, they've d/c their flavorings. Where do I go??? Suggestions?? I've tried several other tobacco flavorings (over a year ago) but this was the one I liked. :/

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know the nuttyness of a 555 all to well because it is my all day vape as well. Here are some very good replacements.

No.5-HS

Highway-HS

Highway is on my list of good tobacco vapes. I have some HS #5 unopened that just came in, but I haven't tried it yet. I also like INW 555 Gold (it's in its 10th day of steeping and I tested it at 7 days).

I like adding a little Highway (mixed at 5%) into other flavors at the RTA tank level to add a little tobacco flavor. A little shot of Highway can sometimes save juices that are otherwise boring. :)

I'm still learning what I like at which percentage level in the mix. HS Tobacco at 7% still isn't enough. I had to drop FA Desert Ship to 1% after a disasterous attempt at 5%. The DIY threads here on ECF have been a big help in understanding what works and what doesn't. So far, I'm liking my own DIY juices better than most of those I bought premixed from vendors.

Last edited:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Some more SC. I've tried a good 2/3 of their tobaccos now. One thing I've noticed is that across the board, SC flavors are always very smooth compared to other brands. All the below tested at 4%.

USA Mix: Compare this to "Red Type". Nice, smooth. Very light sweet, no spice, no nut, maybe a hint of brandy(?), slightly ashy but not "dirty". Still identifiable as synthetic tobacco, but nowhere near blatantly so. Aroma is similar to Hangsen Highway, but less pungent, lacks the Hangsen "bite". 4/5

Arabic: This one's a bit strange. Where Hangsen Arabic goes down a spicy road, this one takes a floral route. Hard to describe, it smells a bit like boutique bath salts, and indeed has a faint soapy taste as well. It's not bad, very smooth, full-bodied vape, but the tobacco is pretty much buried under the floral notes. I think it would mix well Highway or #5, It really reminds me of a certain hooka flavor I had (and liked) that I can't recall the name of. Strangely enticing, I'll see how it wears on me over time. 3/5

Honey Flue Cured: Definite tobacco-brandy note with this one. This is my first "honey flue" flavor, so can't compare, only describe. Sweet, woody, slightly ashy tobacco. I'm not getting any alcohol in the vape, though it comes through pretty strong on the aroma. Wood seems to be the dominant note. As with the others, it's very smooth. It's ok, not my favorite though. 3/5

Vaped out, I'll do the others later. :)

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Continuing...

American Red: The majority of SC tobaccos are dark brown in color, but this one's approaching black, so black that light cannot pass through the bottle. Aroma is heavy, slightly woody tobacco. This stuff smells wonderful, both in the bottle and vapor, but it's either severely flawed or way more concentrated than other SC (I'm betting on the latter). At 4% the flavor is overwhelming to the point that it's metallic on the exhale, though I'm certainly attracted to its robust, non-sweet tobacco profile. I need to re-try this at 2%, rating withheld pending further investigation.

Cigar: Seems to be a sweeter, tobacco-emasculated version of the excellent SC Cohiba. Strange, since it's significantly darker in color. Maybe it's less concentrated than typical. Aroma is rather dark tobacco-ish, but also sweet like molasses or brown sugar. It's a very smooth vape, but almost tastes more like dark chocolate cake than tobacco. There is some little bit of spice buried way down deep, too deep to identify. It's either lacking a tobacco element or needs higher %. 2/5

Island Tobacco: This one's hard to describe. Light brown color. Aroma is semi-sweet, light, a bit fruity tobacco. Closest comparison I could make would be to INW AM4A, but that's still a long way off. Where AM4A is cloyingly sweet and spicy, this is just smooth and mellow. I've already vaped through 60 mls of it and really like it. If you like slightly sweet, light tobaccos, you'll like this. 5/5

Cubana: Dark brown color. Aroma is somewhat ashy tobacco, but also getting molasses and pretty strong (ethyl) alcohol. I'm just testing this now in my Griffin, I don't taste any ethyl. This has a rather heavy ashy, but still short of dirty, element, mainly on exhale. It's quite smooth, but also rather dry, with a somewhat grassy inhale. Grassy tobaccos aren't really my thing (notwithstanding I'm a bit confused as to whether it should be present in a Cubana), so those of you who like that element are more qualified to judge. I'll give it a 3/5 because it is smooth and has very nice mouth feel. I do get a hint of metallic aftertaste, but it also leaves behind some pleasant elements. With Super Concentrates, I've come to associate that metallic aftertaste with too high of a ratio. This Cubana will likely be better at 3%. 3/5

I'd love to hear how others perceive SC Flavors. I still doubt my own taste buds and always think I'm way off with my descriptions! My next order has Ruyan, Havana Dry, 555, French Pipe, Virginia Flue Cured, and Turkish.

Last edited:

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
This is just where I want to be in this forum since I'd like to stay with the tobacco flavors. Where I buy flavors Hangsen has no description of the flavor so I have no idea what the flavor would be like. Right now I'm using a RY4
and a bottle of tobacco with the Hangsen label at 9 mg nicotine and a 80 PG 20 VG ratio. I have another order going in to the website so thanks to all who have inputted and given me an idea as to what is going on.

Reactions: DaveP and JD1

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
This is just where I want to be in this forum since I'd like to stay with the tobacco flavors. Where I buy flavors Hangsen has no description of the flavor so I have no idea what the flavor would be like. Right now I'm using a RY4
and a bottle of tobacco with the Hangsen label at 9 mg nicotine and a 80 PG 20 VG ratio. I have another order going in to the website so thanks to all who have inputted and given me an idea as to what is going on.
I know where your coming from and this thread helps a lot. Most vendors don't have great descriptions of the hangsen flavors and some have none at all. The link below has basic descriptions but the best bet is to use the search function here on ECF.

Concentrated Flavoring - Brands - Hangsen - Page 1 - Bull City Flavors

This thread is pretty decent as well.

The Hangsen Thread

Last edited:

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Most vendors don't have great descriptions of the hangsen flavors and some have none at all.

I found this on the Fasttech forums a while back. It tells you the Hangsen name and what type of tobacco it's trying to replicate. Hope somebody finds it useful.

UTIydEX.jpg

X8CAkN9.jpg

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
There are many good flavor suggestions but the favorite seems to be Hangsen. There's a lot of info here so ask questions if over whelmed or confusion sets in. If you have something in mind or a favorite just describe it in as much detail as you can and we will help you out with some good suggestions. We love talking about tobacco here.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Inawera Cavendish...

Arrived today from BCV. Mixed at 3% 50/50 12mg. Filled a Kabuki straight away and gave it a toot.

WHOA! This is something special. Equal parts funky fermented Latakia tobacco, dried stone fruit, molasses and smoky ash.

I can't wait to see what a few days rest will give.

Dark For Pipe: meet your challenger.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There are many good flavor suggestions but the favorite seems to be Hangsen. There's a lot of info here so ask questions if over whelmed or confusion sets in. If you have something in mind or a favorite just describe it in as much detail as you can and we will help you out with some good suggestions. We love talking about tobacco here.

Hangsen rocks partly because it's not so concentrated, IMO. You can start with 5% on most flavors and work outward from there without creating something that's so highly concentrated that it's un-redeemable.

I'll never forget my first encounter with FA Desert Ship. Somewhere, I picked up a recommendation for 6% on that flavor. It was terrible just because it was way too strongly flavored to be fixed. I tried diluting my original 50ml bottle with Nic/PG/VG into four 50ml bottles. Even that was way over the top. I finally cut my losses, dumped it, and tried 1% flavor. That was the ticket, even though less might be even better for my mild tastes.

The moral: Start low with a new flavor. You can always add flavor later and wait a week to see what happens. It's also probably a good idea to start a new flavor at 10ml size until you find out that's it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread