Travel and Vaping Flying with E-Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
TSA regs say ALL Li-ion batteries MUST go in carry-on - notice this will include nearly all devices with rechargeable batteries, such as your cell phone, laptop, and digital camera. Small bottles of liquid go in your quart baggie like any other.

Chargers go better in your checked luggage, as do extra juice/carto supplies.

I have flown with several charged eGo batteries in my laptop bag. The easiest way is to keep your batteries separate but all together in a ziplock baggie so they are easy to pull out for inspection after your bag goes through the scanner. Depending on how your bag is packed, they may just go right through without attracting any attention - but if they want to inspect your bag, don't worry, act normal, there's nothing illegal about it and nowadays most TSA agents have had some training on recognizing them. But if you have a bunch of WIRES in your laptop bag - such as chargers, passthroughs, etc., even with the wires neatly bundled - that may attract attention, thus more likely they will need a visual inspection. Once they SEE the items and know what they are, no big deal. I even had a TSA agent ask me, while my bag was still in the X-ray machine (I'd already gone through the metal detector):
"is this one of those..."
"E-cigs? Yes!"
"Oh, okay." - and that was that. No unpacking necessary. About a year ago. Lots more vapers nowadays.

On the same trip I forgot that I had a couple of assembled pen-style 510s in my purse, stored upright next to a ballpoint, they weren't even noticed! But if you carry your PV assembled, do unscrew the atty one turn, so it cannot possibly fire up the atty accidentally. Just don't try to take it through the metal detector on your person and you'll be fine!

For lots more, there's a whole section on this:
Travel and E-Cig

Happy jet trails!

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
1 quart is the maximum size allowed in order to limit the amount of liquid carried by any passenger. I'm sure a smaller bag would be fine, but larger definitely not
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

If you're referring to a bag for any other purpose, I'm not aware of any regulations. The liquids bag is the only one I know of and only liquids should go in it.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
The quart baggie is the largest size you can use for taking all liquids through, if you have fewer liquids of course you can use a smaller baggie. I think people here are just posting using a baggie for convenience to keep the eCigs together and in something clear in case TSA wants a closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread