The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Flying with gear

Discussion in 'Travel and E-Cig' started by MissBlue, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. englishmick

englishmick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    That's interesting. For some reason I always thought the quart bag in carry-on was all you got.

I wonder if you could get away with putting bottles of 100mg nic in checked baggage. Do you know if there any specific rules about that? Doesn't seem like there's any basic difference between 10mg flavored juice and 100mg unflavored juice unless they specifically say there is. I know there are people who actually vape up to 50mg juice.

It would have to be packed to withstand all the stuff airlines do to bags, like in heavy duty plastic bottles in bubble wrap. Probably in a rigid suitcase. And labelled as e-juice in case they did a random bag check on it. If a bottle of 100mg broke it would put out some pretty noxious fumes. I get a picture of customs agents lying on the floor gasping and choking, and me being led away in chains by guys in biohazard suits.

Always assumed if I moved from US to UK I would have to leave my nic stash behind. Maybe I could dilute it down to 50 and take some with me. Even diluted down to 20mg I could take a useful amount. Or put it in the shipping crates I would be having sent over. That's got me thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tonee N

Tonee N Vaping Master Verified Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    It's considered hazmat, it would need the appropriate label on the outside of the box, luggage, etc and then be allowed by the airline. It's like shipping a wheelchair battery which the airlines have a certain box for. Personally I wouldn't a bottle of pure Nic in my luggage. I've loaded aircraft, it would either disappear or break.

Sent from tomorrow

• Like Like x 2
  3. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    A bottle of juice with "normal" nic concentrations should not represent any issue. Shipping 100 mg nic by any method does require sepcific handling and labeling instructions. That's why orders shipped in the US are typically UPS Ground only, as it can't be shipped by air, and USPS refuses to handle high concentrations such as 100 mg (there is a cutoff of something like 50-75 mg, but that should be checked before relying on).

Otherwise premixed should be fine. The big deal they do not want is Li batteries in checked luggage (as well as hazmat materials without proper ID and meeting their shipping requirements), so you have to be sure all your removable batteries are out. Anything with a built in battery would have to be in your carry on. Generally I'm not carrying more than 2 mods and enough juice for maybe a 2 week trip and it all fits in my carry on without taking up too much room.

• Like Like x 2
  4. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I guess I would need to find out what they consider normal nic concentration. And whether there is a limit on quantity. And since the sale of nic over 20mg is banned in the UK it would probably be banned for bringing into the country as well. But 5 liters of 20mg would last me a long time and save me a bunch of money.

And @MissBlue , sorry to highjack your thread. But you did seem to get the information you needed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Well, I've certainly carried nic that was 24 mg on planes without a comment. As to what UK Customs allows is something you would need to find out. Also, 5 L is a lot of liquid. It would also weigh a fair amount, which would have to be considered in your checked baggage cost (as well as not to overweigh one bag). I was thinking more along the lines of a few 100 ml bottles, not a few liters. Are you relocating back to the UK?

Are you simply carrying all your stuff with you, or are you shipping other items separately? Maybe there's some way to include it with that shipment stuff.

6. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    • Like Like x 1
  7. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I might be moving back to the UK at short notice. My wife is 61 and has Obamacare, so it depends on whether the Dear Leader takes away her health care. We were planning to move when we retired anyway so it would only bring it forward a few years. Might be a good time since the dollar is quite high relative to the pound right now.

When I came over in 89 I brought a couple of suitcases and sent five 2X2X2 wooden tea chests full of other odds and ends. It took several months to travel over by sea but it was fairly cheap. Maybe I could throw some juice bottles in whatever containers I have shipped back.

8. englishmick

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
  9. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    From my interpretation of the information; yep, maybe. :shock:

The TSA agent has the final word on what is or is not permitted to be brought on-board. :rules:

OP:
    FYI
    An average 18650 battery, for example, a Samsung 25R is a 9.25Wh battery.

cheers
    I

• Like Like x 3
  10. MissBlue

MissBlue Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Lansdowne, PA, USA
    @englishmick, no worries mate - i'm good. Y'all go head and chat about whatever you like. :cool:

11. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved this to Travel and E-Cig from General Vaping Discussion :)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.