Food coloring, is it ok to use in DIY E-juice?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Icon, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Icon

Icon Full Member Verified Member

I have some cool looking food colors and was wanting to know if using some in my E-juice would hurt?

2. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Short answer... the less you put in your juice the better. Food colouring is not a requirement and is never recommended.

3. Icon

Do you know if it would hurt? The only ingredients is: PG, water, color and propylparaben. Not sure if it's safe or if people do it and it's ok.

4. Fiamma

Fiamma Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    PROPYLPARABEN || Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

About PROPYLPARABEN: Propylparaben is in the paraben family of preservatives used by the food, pharmaceutical, and personal care product industries. Parabens mimic estrogen and can act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors.

Not something I'd care to inhale. I avoid all flavorings that contain any food coloring at all.

5. Icon

Gotcha, thanks!

6. Yves

Yves Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Why do you wish to colour your juice it would do nothing to the flavour?

7. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I don't think adding something to your juice that is not a required ingredient is a good idea. The long term effects of vaping are not known, why add something that is not necessary?

8. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It wouldn't produce a colored vapor, right? Other than that, I see no reason to even consider it.

9. salemgold

salemgold ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Actually, I think that the vapor would be colored. I recall something from a few years ago where folks were coloring their ejuice to get colored vapor. I would not do it and avoid flavors with coloring.

10. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Ok, I'm way too old to say it....but it sounds cool. If there was no question on the risks I might try it. As is, my goal is to get away from the extra chemicals, not add.

11. salemgold

Supporting member
    Exactly! It was weird. Everyone was saying it was cool back then but I had no interest. The less I add to my juice, the better that I feel about it.

12. anavidfan

anavidfan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not that I'm recommending, it but colored juice would "look" cool in a glass tank. What about the natural color found in fruits, like in pomegranates, cherries, blackberries, etc? Pluid is a very good juice, and not cheap, but it is a cool green. I see that some of the gourmet organic/ natural juices have pinkish, reddish tones. There must be some organic/natural food colorings?

13. salemgold

Supporting member
    We don't even have a clue of what if any, harm the flavoring itself will do. Why risk the inhaltion of colors if we do not have to?

14. kingvitaman

kingvitaman Full Member Verified Member

Just about everything you put in your mouth that is processed has some sort of artificial color or flavors why would you want to add to it. If you really want to add color use Beet juice, Annatto or Turmeric a least those are natural and heck you never know they might make a hole new flavor experience. LOL!

15. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

First time for everything (and last time). I had some grape flavored ejuice in a tank. The juice itself was pretty clear and colorless, and I got the bright idea to add some purple food coloring (water based), thinking it would look cool in the tank. Well, the coloring actually tuned the juice green, obviously unexpected. To top it all off, it ruined the polyfill in the cartomizer.

FAIL !! :facepalm:

16. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

No coloring will turn your vapor "colors". Vapor is white, because light is reflected in each of the microscopic water droplets as full-spectrum (white) light. The only way to turn vapor to a color would be to blow it at a colored light.

I see no reason to add coloring to nicquid, except to distinguish flavors. Then again, labels do a pretty good job of that around my neck-o-da-woods.

17. Hoosier

Hoosier Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Thanks Dougiestyle...

I don't know if I would have put it so nicely today.

18. martinc

martinc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

All that and I think coloring is the 1st to go foul and ruin your juice anyways....and prett fast too.

I had some raspberry from flavourart I think (lil glass bottle,very much dark red stuff) that turned my juice dark pink (ah the glamour) but would taste foul after only a couple weeks.

19. favor1

favor1 Senior Member ECF Veteran

No point really. Better to keep it as simple as possible. Would you rather drink pure water or colored water?

20. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I believe you meant Lorans. Flavour Art doesn't come in little glass bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.