Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
:thumbs: BYE BYE BLUE "PIA" . . . ;)

Although, I am still wondering if it was there from something ECF added or if it was a "hack" of some kind that was holding ECF/Members as a hostage for that $10 Fee to remove it . . . :shock:

BTW: SOOOO - Glad that I spoke up and was able to help by informing ECF that it was there too . . . :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent C

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
:thumbs: BYE BYE BLUE "PIA" . . . ;)

Although, I am still wondering if it was there from something ECF added or if it was a "hack" of some kind that was holding ECF/Members as a hostage for that $10 Fee to remove it . . . :shock:

BTW: Glad I was able to help and inform ECF that it was there too . . . :facepalm:

Unc,

I saw on another site that the $10 fee to remove was eliminated (sept 18th) - now 'free' - but I could never get to the settings to 'hide'. So it was probably just a 'test' or a 'see what kind of responses we get' thing. There is some 'praise' for the app elsewhere but one never knows if it's the app makers promoting their product.

It's just another 'social media thing' that Roly seems to be into - likely for good reasons for ecf, but not for all ecfers :)

Reactions: Uncle

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Oh - I'm "Chilled" "Pops" . . . ;) AND - Like "You" - Just waiting for those in power come in to answer the question . . . However, usually "rdsok' has been on target previously and has solutions to a problem when something happens . . .

In answer before I read the rest of the replies ( been at work all day )... I'm not always right, but have a good chance on a computer related question since that's what I do for a living .... :)

I know I hadn't seen it but as others mentioned, Adblock could block it and I'm running that... it's just odd to have recently shown up and that in itself is a reason to show a lot of caution and the reason I mentioned the steps I did....

Got a lot of catchin' up before I mention/suggest anything else... if it is needed that is.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Oh gawd. That version is old and a HUGE security nightmare. Get rid of it. That's most likely the avenue of infection, right there.

With Firefox, I use AdBlock Plus. Works very well and I consider it an essential part of my security arsenal. Even on Linux.

Thank You, just installed it and it seems to work very good. :)

**grumble** Seems AdBlock Plus has sold out and is now accepting payments to allow advertising to sneak through.

I'm now using this. https://www.ublock.org/

Works pretty good and the memory footprint is smaller, too.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

I may keep ABP. There's the ability to opt-out of the whitelisted ads. See filter-preferences. On the bottom you can un-check "allow some non intrusive ads". I use ABP as a security (read anti-malware) tool as well as an ad-blocker. Until the industry gets better at screening ads for malware it's shooting itself in the foot.

I'm sorry to ECF for that. Because I'm blocking ads here too, at the moment. That's why I was a contributing member here (it's expired, I need to re-up when I get the extra cash). There's no way to be 100% diligent about ads in the computer industry, as hard as any website tries, because the site doesn't serve the ads, a third party does. I know, that's kind of an "attitude" from me. So sites are copping attitudes back, and blocking content if ad-filters are used. It's an ad-block-war.

I get what ABP is trying to do though. It makes them economically practical/viable to have a white-list that the advertisers and/or sites pay for (hopefully it's well screened, but IDK that yet). So SOME minor white-listed screened ads get through and supposedly everyone wins. But....they'll have to prove it to me first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread