General advice on current vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nallatheryth

Feb 11, 2016
Hi all,

I am a relatively new vaper. Already asked you a few times about ejuices. THANKs for all the tips.

Today I come to lay out my current build and tools with two intentions:
1. Give an outlay of what I found to be best for me (someone might want to check these out)
2. Get some advice if anyone has a suggestion on a few issues I have

So, I started with EVOD kanger Mega and moved quickly from that. It was good but not satisfying.

Now my setup is:
>>>> for mod I use eVIC VTC Mini
>>>> For a tank i was using vaporesso C-CELL but moved to a better one (finally RTA) eLeaf Lemo II
>>>> So far I am building my coils with a kantal wire of 0.4 / 0.5 and 7 wraps.
>>>> I keep my MOD usually @10.5 Watts (I am trying to up this to 20-25 Watts...it sometimes burns the cotton ultra quick????)

e-Juices:
>>>> I use G-Vape. 99% you guys don't know them. They are Bulgarian brand. G-Vape
I would mix 50 ml -> 4.7 ml Flavor + 20.3 ml PVG (Prop. Glyc. 60%/Veg Glycerin 40%) + 25 ml VPG (Veg Glycerin 60%/ Prop. Glyc. 40%)
This gets me into a roughly 70/30 ration of VG vs PG
All the above is under about 0.6% Nicotine.

For my tools:
basically all by Coil-Master now
>>>> A DYI kit - contains everything needed for building good coils easily
>>>> Carry Case - amazingly simple but super good and handy
>>>> Carry Bag - idem as above
I WANT THIS:
<<<Steel Bottle>>>

So, as far as the above - this is what I have and do at the moment.

The wicking - I put the cotton right by the edge of the inner wall and press. Sometimes I have bad taste the first 10-20 minutes.
The wire - as above mentioned.
The juice - I mix, shake and pour

My issues:
Burnt filter taste
leaking sometimes from Lemo 2
less ohm resistance?how?
Building the coil...number of wraps?what diameter is better?Why?
mixing the juice .... tips? heating, preheating, letting it stay for sometime? how where in what container?

Thanks guys for any advises or critiques you might have :)

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2014
Northern virginia
I used to have the original lemo, 3 to be exact and they used to be a little tricky to wick!! Have you tried the "bunny ear" method!! You should be able to google that. That solved a lot of my problems with leaking and dry hits.

Wick the coil, pull the ends of the wick up and install the barrel of the chimney, cut the ends of the wick ever so slightly above the barrel. Fan the ends of the wick and gently press the wick down the sides of the barrel, don't pack it in just loosely. If you still encounter dry hits, use a small piece of wire and clear the wick from around the juice channels. Give that a shot!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
>>>> So far I am building my coils with a kantal wire of 0.4 / 0.5 and 7 wraps.
>>>> I keep my MOD usually @10.5 Watts (I am trying to up this to 20-25 Watts...it sometimes burns the cotton ultra quick????)
Any particular reason that you are trying to up this to 20-25 watts? Something lower just might be YOUR sweet spot.

It took me three years of vaping before I was ready to vape sub-ohm. Prior to that, every time I tried sub-ohm it was too warm and harsh. Going into my fifth year of vaping, I'm now sub-ohming at 0.6 ohm and prefer that. I had to work my way to that point.

The wicking - I put the cotton right by the edge of the inner wall and press. Sometimes I have bad taste the first 10-20 minutes.
That's called "new cotton taste", and is pretty common if you are using plain cotton balls.

I prefer using Japanese Cotton/KoGenDo cotton (expensive), or Rayon (cellucotton and cheap if purchased in bulk; lifetime supply for $10). I never get the new cotton taste with these. The Rayon doesn't seem to get charred by the coil as much as any cotton product can from my experience.

My issues:
Burnt filter taste
leaking sometimes from Lemo 2
less ohm resistance?how?
Building the coil...number of wraps?what diameter is better?Why?
-Burnt filter taste could be the cotton you are using. It could also be your e-liquid. It's hard to determine from the info supplied.
-I don't know anything about the Lemo 2, so I'll pass here.
-Less ohm resistance would be accomplished by less wraps. My guess that would only complicate your issues because it could cause your vape to be hotter and harsher.
-You choose the number of wraps by using a coil building calculator after determinining what your target resistance (ohm) will be. Steam Engine has a popular coil calculator. The diameter you choose is personal preference from experience; I prefer a larger diameter (3 mm) simply because I can use more wick and its easier to wick.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    What I've found with the Lemo2 and higher VG juice, is the chimney needs to be opened up by dremeling where the juice channels meet the chimney. There is a big thread somewhere on here, showing this.
    You should be ok, as is with your 30/70vg tho.
    Lemo2

I build mine with 26ga kanthal, 7 wraps on 3mm, comes out about 1ohm
    I like to wick it like this:

Reactions: Baditude

Nallatheryth

Feb 11, 2016
    >>> @NOVA jon - I will try what you said definitely.

>>> @Baditude - I want to try a different setting different experience. Thus far I note that most if not all people I watch on reviews etc are vaping at much higher watts.
    For the cotton, I use organic japanese cotton. Maybe I dont prime it properly.

So, diameter - is preference. and wraps -> How many are safe? if I were to wrap only 5 times?

>>> @puffon the video is great. Will try, thank you!

Reactions: NOVA jon

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    >>> @Baditude - I want to try a different setting different experience. Thus far I note that most if not all people I watch on reviews etc are vaping at much higher watts.
    You're a new vaper. You may need to gradually work your way up to higher power settings. I know I did. I vaped at under 15 watts for over three years and was totally satisfied.

Just because someone on YouTube is vaping at 30 watts or more doesn't mean you should. Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

... and wraps -> How many are safe? if I were to wrap only 5 times?

You need to educate yourself on how to use an Ohm's Law Calculator. Safe is directly proportional to your coil's resistance (ohms), and your particular battery's continuous discharge rate, or amp rating.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
    • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.
    EDIT: I just re-read your original post and see that you are using a regulated mod. The above link is for an unregulated, or mechanical mod.

With using a regulated mod, you have protection circuitry in the processor which keeps you safe and out of trouble. If your processor feels that your coil resistance is too low to be safe, it will say "Lo Atomizer" and refuse to fire.

Last edited:

Nallatheryth

Feb 11, 2016
    You're a new vaper. You may need to gradually work your way up to higher power settings. I know I did. I vaped at under 15 watts for over three years and was totally satisfied.

Just because someone on YouTube is vaping at 30 watts or more doesn't mean you should. Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

You need to educate yourself on how to use an Ohm's Law Calculator. Safe is directly proportional to your coil's resistance (ohms), and your particular battery's continuous discharge rate, or amp rating.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
    • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

Thank you sir! Reading time now

As far as the Watts - you are absolutely right. I just like to experiment and understand the differences and options.

Extremely helpful advises! Thank you again

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I agree with @Baditude, start at a lower wattage and work up to find your sweet spot. Tanks don't usually like the high watts, like drippers do, they just don't have the airflow to cool the coil.
    Also, this is a stupid question, but I've not seen anyone ask it yet, are you priming your wick or just building, wicking and then filling the tank? If you aren't getting the wick wet to start with, you will never have a good flavor or be able to crank it up because the wicking material is burnt from the get go. Just a thought.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    I put the cotton right by the edge of the inner wall and press.

I'm not sure what's happening here, but i'm wondering if it's impeding the wicking? It's the 'pressing' bit i don't understand.

Cotton has always had a golden rule as wick that less is more.

T

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2014
    Northern virginia
    I'm not sure what's happening here, but i'm wondering if it's impeding the wicking? It's the 'pressing' bit i don't understand.

Cotton has always had a golden rule as wick that less is more.

T

Sounds like he's wicking it like a kayfun, pressed against the deck. I used to wick my Lemo's like that and had some leaking until I tried the bunny ear method

Nallatheryth

Feb 11, 2016
    I agree with @Baditude, start at a lower wattage and work up to find your sweet spot.
    When I first got my VTC mod it was set at 35 and I had no idea I should lower it, prime the head or other such things thus I burnt through 2 heads in 2 hours.
    Then I understood my error and started low and worked my way up to 14 and varied between that and 10. The reason I was staying so low was because whenever I went UP the burnt taste appeared again. Now that I prime the wick and use the lemo, I am trying to go up as I like the warmer sensation.
    My wondering was mostly for the experience of others - why would someone prefer higher wattage and how does the liquid change with faster higher temps and slower low temps.

but I've not seen anyone ask it yet, are you priming your wick
    I do prime it but its veeeery probable I dont do it exactly right.

It's the 'pressing' bit i don't understand.
    As Nova jon said, probably this is what I do. I will be trying the bunny ear method probably tomorrow as I need to re-wick anyways.

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    The higher wattage is a matter if better airflow as well as how well the juice can get to the wick. It used to be you had to use a dripping atomizer to go high wattage, they had better airflow around the coils, to prevent the wick from burning, the juice from burning, and to keep it all cooler for you to be able to vape it. But they have to constantly drip juice into the atomizer to keep everything wet.
    Now days even the tanks have better air flow to be able to do this.
    Is your air flow opened all the way? You may need to look in the users manual, but there should be a ring or screw that you open and close to allow more or less air in to get the draw you want. This is called the AFC for future reference. Looking at pics of your tank, it's a ring on the bottom, it looks like there are two slots? Make sure these slots line up fully with the slots behind them. Not half, not a quarter, but fully, this will give the coil the maximum air it can get. That might allow you to go to a higher wattage.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to talk down to you, just trying to asses your knowledge of what you have, and how to use it, so I can try to guide you in the right direction.
    But in a nutshell, to vape high wattage, you need great airflow and great juice flow, otherwise you get burnt ...., which is what you've been experiencing!

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    the hinterlands
    ...I prefer using Japanese Cotton/KoGenDo cotton (expensive), or Rayon (cellucotton and cheap if purchased in bulk; lifetime supply for $10). I never get the new cotton taste with these. The Rayon doesn't seem to get charred by the coil as much as any cotton product can from my experience....

Personally, I don't consider this: MUJI MoMA 100% ORGANIC UNBLEACHED Cotton Pads 180 sheets Made in JAPAN or even this: Amazon.com : Koh Gen Do Organic Cotton 80 sheets for Skin Care : Beauty to be "expensive".

Can Rayon be used just like cotton wicking, or does it have some additional limitations? If it's superior; why isn't it more popular? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Can Rayon be used just like cotton wicking, or does it have some additional limitations? If it's superior; why isn't it more popular? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm genuinely curious.
    It can be used just like cotton. In fact, you can use more of it because it tends to "shrink" a little when wet. With cotton, "less is more".

Rayon Wick - better flow, flavor, saturation, and nic hit!!

C8209E7A-2675-4616-AE15-DBDA920F092C_edit_1444941651107.jpg

Personal wick preferences aside, the reason that Rayon is not quite as popular is because it is considered a cosmetology product, and if you purchase it from Salley's Beauty Supply you have to be a card carrying cosmetologist. I was able to get my supply from Salley's because my sister is a cosmetologist. You can get a huge box of cellucotton for under $10. That's a lifetime supply.

graham-cellucotton-reinforced-beauty-coil-rayon-3lbs-GRAHAM-44053-400x400.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: 7sixtwo

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    the hinterlands
    It can be used just like cotton. In fact, you can use more of it because it tends to "shrink" a little when wet. With cotton, "less is more".

Rayon Wick - better flow, flavor, saturation, and nic hit!!

C8209E7A-2675-4616-AE15-DBDA920F092C_edit_1444941651107.jpg

Personal wick preferences aside, the reason that Rayon is not quite as popular is because it is considered a cosmetology product, and if you purchase it from Salley's Beauty Supply you have to be a card carrying cosmetologist. I was able to get my supply from Salley's because my sister is a cosmetologist. You can get a huge box of cellucotton for under $10. That's a lifetime supply.

graham-cellucotton-reinforced-beauty-coil-rayon-3lbs-GRAHAM-44053-400x400.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I found it on Amazon; 40' for $13.49... not quite as good a deal, but not exactly expensive, and I know no cosmetologists. Cotton has been annoying me a little bit lately. I think I'll give Rayon a try.

sawlight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks for the explanation. I found it on Amazon; 40' for $13.49... not quite as good a deal, but not exactly expensive, and I know no cosmetologists. Cotton has been annoying me a little bit lately. I think I'll give Rayon a try.

Stupid question, but why is cotton annoying you?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread