Gennies... am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I really want to like gennies. I keep trying, but I must be missing something. My drippers and bottom coil/vacuum style devices rock, but I just can't seem to get any flavor from the Gennies. I have an RSST and an AGA-T3. I've tried ss mesh, cotton, ss cable. Wicking seems OK, and vapor is good, but flavor isn't there. I mean, there's some flavor, but it's flat/lacks sweetness/muted. I've tried different resistances, but that doesn't seem to matter much. Am I missing something, or is this just the nature of these devices?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I really want to like gennies. I keep trying, but I must be missing something. My drippers and bottom coil/vacuum style devices rock, but I just can't seem to get any flavor from the Gennies. I have an RSST and an AGA-T3. I've tried ss mesh, cotton, ss cable. Wicking seems OK, and vapor is good, but flavor isn't there. I mean, there's some flavor, but it's flat/lacks sweetness/muted. I've tried different resistances, but that doesn't seem to matter much. Am I missing something, or is this just the nature of these devices?
it really depends on the device and the build together. there are some that are flat out tasteless.

I have never used either of the two you have so i could never judge them, many seem to get great results from them.

but as someone who has gone through many geni's looking for the one, the design of the device does play a big part in how well they will work. and sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation to get them to work perfectly. with a geni there seems to be a line between working and working very well. and so many variables when setting up a wick, the way the wick is set up is more important then the resistance.

and there is also the believe that every flavor will not work great with the genesis style, im many cases the flavors arent as strong but very sharp and defined. with that said the kraken tastes like you poured the flavor concentrate in your mouth.

in any case just like everything else, it could be the genesis just isnt for you

maybe throw up a pic with some details as to how you set it up.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I guess I just need more practice. I haven't devoted TOO MUCH time to my current gennies. It seems like they require a lot of finesse. It took me a long time to get my RDA builds, and Kanger coils perfected, so maybe I'll just devote a week to vaping strictly gennies. That'll force me to focus on them.

Well your correct they do, and the worst part is they all have slight differences so what is the perfect setup in one geni may suck in another.

they have the highest learning curve but the really cool part is if you do stick with them and then figure out what works for that model, it gets easier each time until you can do it without thinking about it.

been at it almost 2 years myself and anymore i cut XX amount of mesh for this geni, wrap a coil, slide the wick in and pulse out the hot spots, fill and go, all of 10 minutes maybe, i dont even prepare the wicks anymore, just twist them up and drop them in.

but do keep in mind even with the perfect setup, you may just not like that model, I cannot count how many i tried to get the few I have now.

on a side note : the center wick in the t3 looks like a pain in the ...., even busardo didnt seem to have great results with it. and i personally cant see this unit functioning perfectly from this design unless kept full all the time.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
i have the AC9 which is what the RSST is cloned from , 5/4 wrap 28ga on mesh is fine , plain cotton is better but have to rebuild it ever other day, ss cable with ss mesh on top is better than plain mesh , but ss mesh with a tiny bit of cotton wrapped on top with a 4/3 28ga which will put you at .9 ohm is the best flavor by far , now im using the AL-1 which has a smaller chamber than the RSST the flavor is doubled , now i have seen some reviews that some body makes a delrin piece that fits inside the RSST and reduces the chamber which should have the same affect

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I started off on my turbine clone using the stock enclosed mesh and wire and found it very annoying to get it "just right" for the dual straw ss mesh type, I then tried ekowool as a dual straw and then as a u wick and this was much better for me but wasn't wicking as quick as the mesh so grabbing some good brand silica and went for a U wick with a tail and it is just right for me.

Basically I had one long piece of wick and one half length which I threaded them through the 32g coil and one "wick" leg each into the three holes with the shorter piece terminating under the coil, it works for me, dunno if it has a special name or anything but as long as it ain't broke, I am not going to try and fix it.

Technohydra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Nebraska, USA
The big issue with gee ies is they are wicking 100% against gravity, and getting that perfect balance of heat and wick rate is a killer challange. When they work perfectly, can't be beat, but there is a narrow window of a sweetspot you have to learn to hit on them, and it's tough. The Kayfun has totally invalidated genesis styles cor me personally, but that does not make them bad devices. They can be better than a Kayfun, but the consistNcy needed in setup is a killer for me, personally.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Technohydra:11698056 said:
The big issue with gee ies is they are wicking 100% against gravity, and getting that perfect balance of heat and wick rate is a killer challange. When they work perfectly, can't be beat, but there is a narrow window of a sweetspot you have to learn to hit on them, and it's tough. The Kayfun has totally invalidated genesis styles cor me personally, but that does not make them bad devices. They can be better than a Kayfun, but the consistNcy needed in setup is a killer for me, personally.

This is what I'm learning. I had ONE decent build on my RSST, but it still wasn't where I thought it should be. I bought some 1/16" ss cable from Tractor Supply, and sheathed it in 500 mesh. Wrapped it with 4/3 of .8mm x .1mm ribbon kanthal. Wick was unoxidized. I've tried oxidizing, but it seems to wick WORSE than the unoxidized. Oh well. I just have a lot of fiddling in my future. If my Kraken clone ever arrives from FastTech, that'll mean even more fiddling. :)

In other news, I got a Tobeco Kayfun Lite clone on Christmas. That thing rocks SO ... HARD... What an unbelievable device.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
I highly recommend trying a ceramic wick. I only use ceramic wicks with my Genny and it is damn near perfect every time. The downside is that ceramic wicks are very fragile. If you are careful, however, one wick can last a very, very long time. I just recently broke a wick I'd been using for about 6 months. To clean them, just torch them till they glow red hot and they are as good as new.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Just do a micro coil with cotton. Super easy and I can switch over in flavors pretty easy too. Awesome flavor! image.jpg

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
Just do a micro coil with cotton. Super easy and I can switch over in flavors pretty easy too. Awesome flavor! View attachment 288596

I do the same but with the coil with the hole vertical like with mesh wick and a small puff of cotton for a wick just covering the hole, not into it. It's basically a bottom fed tilt dripper. I don't use it much because I get better flavor with the smaller head space of my Igo-S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread