Gennies... am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Ryan1888:11701488 said:
I have never liked genesis style atomisers. They look beautiful but I always can taste the mesh, no matter how good of a build I have in them. For that reason I set up all 3 of mine in dripper mode.

I've tried the dripper mode, but I felt like I was cheating, sort of. Maybe not "cheating", per se, but that I was giving up on mastering the Genny in the way it's intended to be built. The cotton definitely has the dripper flavor, but my intention is to get that with the traditional build. I rebuilt my AGA-T3 tonight, and did a lot of wick oxidation (500 mesh). It's better, but not quite there. I just need to spend more time with it. I think. I hope.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland

It's not the easiest build. But, I *think* it has promise. I'm getting more vapor, and it's much warmer than my RSST. it's also machined much better than the RSST. The airhole could be bigger, and I'll probably end up boring it out, but I'm hesitant since the cap has a reduced chamber and I'll need to drill through about 1/4" of SS. One wrong move and it's toast.

TyCreek

Another Vaper
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2013
Treasure Valley
I get muted or off flavor on a genny build with >2ohm coils. Flavor from <=1.6ohm wraps is better IMO. A couple wraps of rolling paper helps speed oxidation on SS. Ribbon kanthal has been working quite well on SS cable for me lately...
tycreek-albums-vapestuff-picture286736-4-wrap-5x-1-ribbon-ended-up-1-5ohms-ss-cable-w-ss-mesh-top-covered-rolling-paper-speed-oxidation-process.jpg

A few short burns and the paper burns off leaving the coil to heat nice and even.
tycreek-albums-vapestuff-picture286737-perfectly-oxidized-short-order-rolling-paper-rsst.jpg

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
gennys are a pain.....and for me the only attys I vape on.The learning curve is big, but I don't think the flavor can be beat, though vapor can. That said i only vape ceramic wicks.Though when i started vaping gennys I used ss...I have vaped ceramics and cotton in a kayfun lite,and drippers and they are really great devices, but they weren't as flavorful or satisfiying as my pulse G.I started out with the aga-t2, tried the rsst, and alot of the youde attys, i think the aga-t3 is probbly the best lower end genny out there as far as flavor and vapor, however to get it work right you'll have to drill out the fill hole larger than it is, in order to get airflow into the tank,so you don't get a vaccum.As for the rsst I know it is very popular mostly because it is easy to build on, but I found the top chamber is so large it washes the flavor out, and i never really thought it gave a good vape.The same is somewhat true for the aga-t2, but I prefered it.
I think gennys are alot more responsive to subtle changes in wick material,air flow,coil build, resistance settings,ect. and so playing around with them let's you really tailor your vape.But there is no doubt, though in the end after mastering your genny it will be easy to build on, they will always be more work than alot of vapes, and you have to decide if the work is worth the vape. for me the flavor off gennys and the quality of the vape makes them my choice.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
A word of advice......most people drill out the air hole in their gennys.....stock airholes are made small so the buyer can tailor their draw. so once you decide to drill it out do it in small increments like by the 64ths till you find the draw you want, however even if the draw seems airier than your used to,don't worry. you'll be surprised how easy it is to adjust how you draw to compensate for it.
It's not the easiest build. But, I *think* it has promise. I'm getting more vapor, and it's much warmer than my RSST. it's also machined much better than the RSST. The airhole could be bigger, and I'll probably end up boring it out, but I'm hesitant since the cap has a reduced chamber and I'll need to drill through about 1/4" of SS. One wrong move and it's toast.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The only problem I have with gennies is shorting and I have to wiggle the wire to get it to stop. About the time a mesh wick stops doing that it needs replaced and it starts all over again.
Ceramic was great to solve that issue on my AGA-TD but I'm not completely sold for single coils.

It could be the way I do my mesh wicks and coils. I make a straw wick, gravity doesn't seem to be a problem, air is pulled down through the straw, liquid is pulled up through the wick. A micro-like ribbon with 7/8 wraps heats the wick making it act like a coil.

Menthol does seem to pool up on the wick so if a methol flavor sits for a while it can be strong those first few hits. Other than that I use them for sweets, mints and roasts without issue. Of course RDA's produce better flavor, they also don't have a 3ml tank. It's all give and take.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My first experience with a genesis style was the AGA-T2. Call me a noob, but I prefer to call it a horrible piece of engineering. Nearly impossible to get rid of the top leg hotspot unless you bring the wick right up against the center post.....and then only if you're lucky. Not to mention that it's ugly as sin. It's collecting dust.

I then tried a cheapo I-Atty. Much easier to build on and I got a great vape from it. I couldn't get over the fact that it felt and looked cheap (still more attractive then the AGA). Again, a poor design of the center post makes it prone to dead shorts if you aren't careful with the height of the spacer. It sits collecting dust.

After a month long wait, an RSST should be showing up in the mail today. It will be my last go at a Genesis. Although I don't have it in my hands, I find the design of the center post promising, as well as the insulated wick hole. I'll be building it with 2mm cable wrapped with a small piece of mesh for the coil.

If that all goes to hell, my AIOS is working fantastic, and the Kayfun clone is in the mail right behind the RSST. I have no doubt I will enjoy it from all the reviews and positive commentary.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
After scanning these posts, it becomes even more clear to me that so many issues are more and more directly related to the quality of the devices. and just show why buying a quality device is more important then people think.

i dont have any knockoffs or cheaper models but I as well as many others just dont seem to have as many issues either.

they have a learning curve and do take some practice but in the end they just shouldnt take so much effort and playing to set up correctly or so much effort to keep them working.

i wrap coils on drillbits, I slide unoxidized wicks into the coils, i take maybe 2 minutes to quickly pulse out the shorts and hot spots and then i have wicks and coils last well into 2 months. maybe an adjustment or two in the first few days,. this is with untreated wicks touching the wickholes, the bottom of the metal tanks etc. and yet no constant problems, and it makes me wonder what it is about some of the cheaper ones that cause people such headaches.

in any case keep us informed as to how its working out for you ;)

unoxidized wicks in action
P9080114.jpg
P2180040.jpg
P2160057.jpg

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I agree with alot of what your saying...but I don't think it's a good idea to go out and buy a high end genny to learn on. It maybe that you don't like the vape, or that you prefer dripping, or you like the ease of building with cotton or hemp or silica, or like the vape from a kayfun, but I agree with once you decide you like gennys and feel confident building on them, then there is a world of diffrence between the low end attys and the high end attys. Once you learn to build a set up,and the pitfalls. you start building them right the first time, and you don't spend anytime tweaking them around. I find it quite amazing how easily people give up on gennys.I've read dozens and dozens of post of people who they hit a few bumps and quit, and go back to dripping or something else, so i would be hesitant to shell out 150.00 for a begining genny.Once you do start using top shelf gennys you can't go back to the vape from an aga-t, or an rsst, and at least for me you feel like it's money well spent and ignore all the flak from other vapers who howl with disbelief and ridicule for the price you pay for a real nice genny.
After scanning these posts, it becomes even more clear to me that so many issues are more and more directly related to the quality of the devices. and just show why buying a quality device is more important then people think.

i dont have any knockoffs or cheaper models but I as well as many others just dont seem to have as many issues either.

they have a learning curve and do take some practice but in the end they just shouldnt take so much effort and playing to set up correctly or so much effort to keep them working.

i wrap coils on drillbits, I slide unoxidized wicks into the coils, i take maybe 2 minutes to quickly pulse out the shorts and hot spots and then i have wicks and coils last well into 2 months. maybe an adjustment or two in the first few days,. this is with untreated wicks touching the wickholes, the bottom of the metal tanks etc. and yet no constant problems, and it makes me wonder what it is about some of the cheaper ones that cause people such headaches.

in any case keep us informed as to how its working out for you ;)

unoxidized wicks in action
View attachment 288785
View attachment 288792
View attachment 288791

Last edited:

Tommy Trauma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indianapolis
I picked up a RSST from the local B&M, and to be honest I'm not that impressed with it. Spent yesterday learning to wrap the coils. Using 32 ga Kanthal with (I think) 6 wraps came out to 1.9 ohms. Redid it this morning with 3 wraps of 32 and got it down to 1.3 ohms. Better, but the flavor of my black honey tobacco is no where near as good as on either my tank/carto, or my Aspire BDC Viva. Using wire rope with some ekowool on top under the coils. It hits kind of airy as I think the previous owner drilled the air hole out to 1/16+ I guess. Its a very airy hit. Am glad the guys let me have it for 20 bucks, so I dont feel I wasted too much cash on it. Bought it mainly to mess around with actually. Maybe its because I'm using it on an SVD at around 13 watts right now, but have tried different watts and voltages. I've got a mech mod coming so maybe it do better with it. Oh well.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I agree with alot of what your saying...but I don't think it's a good idea to go out and buy a high end genny to learn on. It maybe that you don't like the vape, or that you prefer dripping, or you like the ease of building with cotton or hemp or silica, or like the vape from a kayfun, but I agree with once you decide you like gennys and feel confident building on them, then there is a world of diffrence between the low end attys and the high end attys. Once you learn to build a set up,and the pitfalls. you start building them right the first time, and you don't spend anytime tweaking them around. I find it quite amazing how easily people give up on gennys.I've read dozens and dozens of post of people who they hit a few bumps and quit, and go back to dripping or something else, so i would be hesitant to shell out 150.00 for a begining genny.Once you do start using top shelf gennys you can't go back to the vape from an aga-t, or an rsst, and at least for me you feel like it's money well spent and ignore all the flak from other vapers who howl with disbelief and ridicule for the price you pay for a real nice genny.

Oh I agree, and with that in mind the rsst is an AC9 clone and I have to say I wasnt at all impressed with the real one either.

but now a days with 1:1 copies/clones running around it may not be the original but for 1/10th the price you can have the performance of the originals since they copied designs known to be top performers.

and at this point in the game i would easily recommend a kraken or steam turbine clone over an aga or rsst. if your going to learn on something cheap it might as well be something that has proven to be bad a**

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Yeah, i don't like the idea of supporting clones, but even I have contemplated getting a steam turbine or steamboy clone to try them before buying the real ones. although I gotta say I bought the pulse G from RM mods,and was ribbed by alot of my homies on the forums for spending that much, and they all went out and got the clones for like 15.00, but the clones were total crap...missing parts,broken parts ect. Also i really admire youde for producing affordable attys using their own designs, and not ripping off somebody else's work.
Oh I agree, and with that in mind the rsst is an AC9 clone and I have to say I wasnt at all impressed with the real one either.

but now a days with 1:1 copies/clones running around it may not be the original but for 1/10th the price you can have the performance of the originals since they copied designs known to be top performers.

and at this point in the game i would easily recommend a kraken or steam turbine clone over an aga or rsst. if your going to learn on something cheap it might as well be something that has proven to be bad a**

Last edited:

DelboyinDorset

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Dorset - UK
I think it is still horses for courses, I found BCC's and carto's lacked what I wanted that a genny gave me and have been dropping a drip of cherry or grape into my usual spearmint and the flavour is so defined to my taste it is a good move.

I did read somewhere about how tastes evolve after cessation of tobacco, can't remember where but its all about how our taste is regained to a level which tobacco like with smell, obliterates over time as a sense, I started off on hints of menthol and brand tobacco-a-likes and the wow of it tapered off within a few months and I wanted more hit and more flavour which the stock evods, clearo's just couldn't provide, I do have a very good Phoenix DCT and that was a step in the right direction but still lacked that certain "elemental" vape that I took the plunge with a genny and it is for me a whole new ball game.

Yet I know plenty o' people who are quite happy with their stock clearo's and cheapy tanks and fair play to them I say too but if you want more out of something expect to put more effort in and gennys are definitely not beginner by any standard. I am going to reserve some judgement too until my Russian arrives as that has such a popular following generally I think that will be the one that makes the final difference for me personally although the reduced chamber thingy I have seen about has been giving people some good results as well so lots to play for still in this game.

Tommy Trauma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indianapolis
I have the rsst and when I went to cotton and a micro coil everything got so much better. I use cotton in everything and haven't looked back since.

I've tried a couple of micro coils. I keep burning the legs off of them before I can get the coils glowing hehehe. Guess I need a smaller pair of tweezers or a smaller torch or something.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yeah, i don't like the idea of supporting clones, but even I have contemplated getting a steam turbine or steamboy clone to try them before buying the real ones. although I gotta say I bought the pulse G from RM mods,and was ribbed by alot of my homies on the forums for spending that much, and they all went out and got the clones for like 15.00, but the clones were total crap...missing parts,broken parts ect. Also i really admire youde for producing affordable attys using their own designs, and not ripping off somebody else's work.

putting aside the ethics argument. im many cases if the clone proves to be decent quality, there is still some hit or miss but when they are built right, i dont see a problem with it. dont get me wrong i have a desk full of originals, but when clones of something are everywhere yet the original is still selling out i see little reason for the maker of the originals to complain. i finally broke down and got a brass nemi clone, been waiting for months now, i would happily buy the real one but since they dont seem worried enough to make them faster im not waiting anymore lol

they kayfun and nemesis prove this point, no matter how many clones flood the market they cant keep the real ones in stock, so what do you do wait 4 months for vaperev to restock turbines and then get in an F5 battle with the rest of the internet or go get the highly rated tobeco copy now.
i would love to see everyone support the original designers, but if you cant get one, or they arent in a rush to make more i cant see telling everyone too bad wait it out like everyone else did.

as for what other people say? my opinion is dont worry about how I spend my own money thanks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread