GreenSmoke not shipping to UT as of July 1 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate42nd

Sep 12, 2013
Western US
I just got an e-mail and called to confirm. GreenSmoke rep told me Utah has s state law going into effect July 1 2015. Nobody can ship tobacco products to Utah unless they actually sell real tobacco. That is how it was described to me. Therefore my favorite morning and nightly vaping will have to stop? Does anyone know if this is true? I cannot find any bill which states this.

Reactions: DrMA

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
It's all very convoluted (as if we should be surprised), but I take from it that you can't buy juice online unless you're a licensed retailer. There may be a clause in there against juice as well, unless the retailer is putting it in a closed system. I'm pressed for time so I couldn't give it my full attention, but it sounds like a huge loss. I'm sorry.

nate42nd

Sep 12, 2013
Western US
This product helped me quit a 25 year smoking habit. I tried many others before landing on GreenSmoke. I noticed they had to buy a $30 license. But I can find nowhere in the bill that states the supplier must also sell real tobacco products. This is what I was told was the problem with this specific supplier. Maybe there is something in the bill I missed. Still one would think they would want the business if they could get it.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
I would say yes, because 59-14-509 states what's prohibited, not what's allowed, and doesn't specify anything about e cigs or juice. It looks like to me this whole bill was way over-written and confused even the authors, because the reference to 59-14-509 is redundant. I'm not an expert, but I think the juice-makers might be playing it cautiously, because the bill's written so ambiguously and huge lawsuits could be taken on if they get it wrong. GreenSmoke is probably more knowledgeable on this issue than me, though. I just can't find the provision they're alluding to.

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
The bill also said that the health dept. could impose restrictions/rules, but I haven't been able to hunt those down. Keep researching though, I'm sure someone did more than a quick google search and has a better explanation of the bill than me. I was just trying to point you guys in the right direction. I don't have a definitive answer.

Yabut....even though Bill says that Utah is "unlikely" to prosecute out of state vendors, I'm just not comfortable putting my vendor in that position. I'll just get a P.O. box in Idaho. It's only a 3 hour round trip, and gives me a better reason to go HOME than just to buy lottery tickets. :pervy:

Thanks for your help. :)

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
You're welcome. And I thank the forum, too. I didn't have a good chance to really read through the bill earlier this week. The responder's analyses in the linked forum thread saved me from some headaches. Although, I still see a loophole. You'll just have to wait for a lawsuit so a lawyer can define the ambiguities for us ;) However, that might not happen if federal law overrides the state law beforehand.

I hope you sent an email when your state had a call to action though. Might be different if more people had...

nate42nd

Sep 12, 2013
Western US
Depending on where you live, a PO box in Wendover Nevada will be WAY closer than Idaho if you go that route. Wendover is only a 90 minute drive for 85% of the people in Utah. 2 million people live on the Wasatch Front. But that's a far cry from having my juice, and e-cigs delivered to my door. I don't want to have to go to another state! I am VERY interested to see if all online suppliers are going to adhere to this no ship policy. Luck for me I only use one carto per day and had just ordered my 2 month supply. As soon as I got the e-mail I ordered another 2 month supply. I have that long to see where all this goes.

Ok. Here's what I found out from my B&M. On line sales are safe. The bill that passed was basically watered down. The owner of the store I talked to was at the public hearing. He and the author of the bill actually got into a shouting match and the moderator(?) slammed his gavel told the rep (Paul Ray) to shut up and sit his azz down. Apparently, none of the legislators even like Ray. So Ray was completely shot down by the House and the B&M owner. He said some of the provisions don't go into effect until NEXT July 1st.

Out of curiosity, can you comment on the alternative tobacco demographics in your observational area? I have seen a range of none used in a small town, to many e-cigs and PV's used in a larger city.

I've seen quite a lot of snus (skoal and camel) sold, but never even notice anyone using it. I see a lot of PVs used "in the wild". A few people where I work use them. One guy smokes, and only got a PV to chase clouds, not to quit smoking. o_O

Depending on where you live, a PO box in Wendover Nevada will be WAY closer than Idaho if you go that route. Wendover is only a 90 minute drive for 85% of the people in Utah. 2 million people live on the Wasatch Front. But that's a far cry from having my juice, and e-cigs delivered to my door. I don't want to have to go to another state! I am VERY interested to see if all online suppliers are going to adhere to this no ship policy. Luck for me I only use one carto per day and had just ordered my 2 month supply. As soon as I got the e-mail I ordered another 2 month supply. I have that long to see where all this goes.

For me, Idaho is the best option. It's only 162 miles, and 3 hours round trip, and freeway all the way. Besides, it's home. Did I mention I hate Utah....:-x

Reactions: azb8496

azb8496

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
VA, USA
Wow! Firsthand knowledge of the hearing! Good work idahohermit! I'm really glad to hear about the big victory for online sales and that lawmaker being put in his place.

My impression of e-cigs and PV's is that they're big in left-leaning cities, but not so much in right-leaning states/cities, in general. I have yet to see anyone else in western VA use one. I get wierd stares everywhere here (in a decent sized city and a very small town where I work), as if these people have no idea what it is, which most of them probably don't.

Yet, a handful of my relatives in NY use them and one said he sees them everywhere on the streets; I think he's living in Rochester ATM.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"I've seen quite a lot of snus (skoal and camel) sold, but never even notice anyone using it. I see a lot of PVs used "in the wild". A few people where I work use them. One guy smokes, and only got a PV to chase clouds, not to quit smoking. "

The reason being you'll never see it being used if they don't want you to see it. I use snus all the time, everywhere. If I'm some place that it doesn't matter, I'll openly open my can and get a portion. I could just as easily be putting a piece of candy in my mouth though. If somewhere that might have prohibited use of tobacco products, I'll be more secretive but once in, nobody knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread