Griffin tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
canda
Hi guys how's it going. So I've had the Griffin tank now for two weeks. Just when I thought I had wicking figured out it proves me wrong. So I been wicking it just tucking the cotton at the top of the airflow. Not really stuffing it down the juice channel and when you look at the juice holes through the tank you can't see any cotton. The first few tanks were great no leaking nothing at all thought I had it figured out. Now two to three tanks in when I fill it up it leaks all at the bottom. I also get hot spot back the first few pulls. But prior to this it was fine. Guy at the Vap shop told me to put the cotton down the actual juice channels but not stuffing it. Any tips or advice what am I doing wrong ?

Reactions: Tom Waznis

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi guys how's it going. So I've had the Griffin tank now for two weeks. Just when I thought I had wicking figured out it proves me wrong. So I been wicking it just tucking the cotton at the top of the airflow. Not really stuffing it down the juice channel and when you look at the juice holes through the tank you can't see any cotton. The first few tanks were great no leaking nothing at all thought I had it figured out. Now two to three tanks in when I fill it up it leaks all at the bottom. I also get hot spot back the first few pulls. But prior to this it was fine. Guy at the Vap shop told me to put the cotton down the actual juice channels but not stuffing it. Any tips or advice what am I doing wrong ?

Any time yoy have decent sized Juice Wells i ALWAYS run the tails of the wick to the bottom of my Juice Wells.

I did this on the Goblin Mini, Silverplay Nano, SXK Nebula Wine Griffin if, and Kayfun Monster Mini V3.

Never had a leaking issue on any of them.

If you have a Kayfun lite plus or Orchid V3 with 1-1.5 mm Juice Wells you can put the cotton in tge Juice Wells.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Either too much or not enough, I trim my ends very close to the hole but don't stuff, more like nudge them with Flathead, I've even trimmed the tips of the ends to not be so thick and no leaks, assuming you haven't stripped the grub screw with the included allen wrench, one may not be tight

Reactions: rcalvy1

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Any time yoy have decent sized Juice Wells i ALWAYS run the tails of the wick to the bottom of my Juice Wells.

I did this on the Goblin Mini, Silverplay Nano, SXK Nebula Wine Griffin if, and Kayfun Monster Mini V3.

Never had a leaking issue on any of them.

If you have a Kayfun lite plus or Orchid V3 with 1-1.5 mm Juice Wells you can put the cotton in tge Juice Wells.
That's exactly what i do.I have seen video's saying to only run the wick just below the ring on the Griffin,but i run them all the way down on every tank i have,and have never had any issues,as long as i thin the tails out some before tucking them in.Leaving that much open space at the bottom of the channels just seems like a leak waiting to happen to me.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    If you think of the three modes your tank has to work through: normal use, laying on its side and refilling your choices of wicking become important.

IMHO: having your wick stop at the top of the juice channels might work well for some but I tend to always get leaks when the mod/tank is laying on its side or I'm refilling (even using technique to be described below). Closing off the juice flow will slow down the leaking on the side and refilling modes.

The issue with having to much wick (and in the channels) is that you'll notice your coils are starving for juice. You'll get a few good hits as you vape off your primer but then the vape will start to be lame. IMHO: you need to have wick in the channels but not "packed in" tight where it strangles juice flow to your coils.

While I use rope, I always stuff the ends into the juice channels and then cut it off at 45D in the juice channel openings. I like enough wick to fill the hole but not so much where it is packed in. Once I prime it I'll use tweezers to push on the wick from the bottom of the juice channels to slightly push the wick up to make sure that they are freely "floating" in the channels.

Refills were my #1 leak starter. However with juice and airflow turned off, I can open the top, fill to the top of the glass, recap and then INVERT the tank so the air bubble is where the juice control ring is and then open the air and juice flow before quickly righting the tank (top up). I get little if any leaks if I do it that way.

YMMV.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    That's exactly what i do.I have seen video's saying to only run the wick just below the ring on the Griffin,but i run them all the way down on every tank i have,and have never had any issues,as long as i thin the tails out some before tucking them in.Leaving that much open space at the bottom of the channels just seems like a leak waiting to happen to me.

Ditto.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
    Oct 25, 2010
    canda
    Either too much or not enough, I trim my ends very close to the hole but don't stuff, more like nudge them with Flathead, I've even trimmed the tips of the ends to not be so thick and no leaks, assuming you haven't stripped the grub screw with the included allen wrench, one may not be tight
    @sparkky1 so how deep do u go into the juice wells? My post screws would affect leaking!?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Thanks guys I'll try running my wick deeper into the juice well. So weird just filled it again and been vaping it all night and no more leaks !?

Glad to help.

I ALWAYS run the tails to the bottom of the Wells if i can.

If you have thicker tails than will fit the Juice wells; thin the tails. You don't want to force the tails in the wells and create wicking problems.

rcalvy1

ECF Veteran
    Oct 25, 2010
    canda
    @Two_Bears Well glad to report that I tried wicking with my tails deeper into the juice well and first attempt no leaks but flavor wasn't as rich like when it was leaking here and there. So rewicked it again and really fluffed the cotton up once it was set in the wells and that's much better. any idea why the first attempt was dull in flavor?

gofishtx

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    Tomball Texas
    @Two_Bears Well glad to report that I tried wicking with my tails deeper into the juice well and first attempt no leaks but flavor wasn't as rich like when it was leaking here and there. So rewicked it again and really fluffed the cotton up once it was set in the wells and that's much better. any idea why the first attempt was dull in flavor?
    I noticed muted flavor when my coils were new (fused Clapton) after a couple of days the flavor got much better.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    Tomball Texas
    @gofishtx i just rewicked didn't change the coils, I did clean them but had pretty good taste right off the bat. I'm using stapled wire.
    Could be when you re wicked you are not getting the airflow you were getting before, maybe the cotton is blocking them just a tad. Adjust your wicks a little and see if that helps;)

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
    Mar 9, 2014
    Bend OR
    The first few tanks were great no leaking nothing at all thought I had it figured out. Now two to three tanks in when I fill it up it leaks all at the bottom.

Ever take a real good look at your cotton after a few tanks? Where it used to be puffy, it will have all shrunk together, therefore leaving most of the airholes uncovered and parts of the coil not touching the wick at all. There are two ways to fix this. Either you replace your wick more often or do what I did and change the way you wick. A while back I watched a video on the "Scottish Roll" and while I thought it was wasteful, I did notice that the cotton kept the coil "full" even after running a lot of juice through it. While I wasn't really having too issues with dry hits or leaking on my tanks, I have started dripping again and got a nasty dry hit, so decided to try the method again, and that got me thinking...why not use it in a RTA?

So I gave it a try on both the TFV4 and the Griffin. Works great in each. I use only about twice as much cotton as I did before, dry hits are nonexistent and I can chain vape like crazy. No leaks either. I do not run the cotton down the juice channels on the Griffin, I basically cut them just a little longer than the top of the cotton retention ring and then tuck enough cotton back to cover the juice channels completely. Any cotton left over can be trimmed off to fit inside the chamber when it is screwed on. For the TFV4, I do trim down the ends to fit down the juice channels and that works great too.

I go into a little more detail in this thread.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    I'm new to the Griffin and I'm wondering about something. The Griffin has 4 juice channels and the chimney has 4 corresponding juice holes. How many of those juice holes produce bubbles?
    Sometimes,mine will bubble from all 4,but most of the time it's just 2,one on each side.

Reactions: tmcase
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread