Gurgly Nautilus 2 Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
I love my nautilus 2 tank in terms of look and feel, and the flavour and everything else is great...when it's working right.

But...

It seems to go gurgly, greasy and leaky all the time, seemingly at random. I can use it, place it down for an hour, go back to it and it's gone gurgly. Liquid seems to find its way into the middle of the atty all the time.

I'm not over filling it. Just stripped it right down, wiped everything, new atty, left it to soak and it's gurgling and greasy again - driving me mad. Is this just me or are other people having issues with these?

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
It can be- actually I was having a bit of trouble with mine this afternoon, right after I filled it.

I think part of the issue may be the way the coil attaches to the top piece. When you open it to fill it you can unseat the coil a bit. Some people seem to have had good luck doubling up the o-rings. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm likely going to, 'cause I was definitely getting more hot juice in my mouth than I like this afternoon. I've also found that it helps to not fill the tank completely- that's annoying, because it's a small tank to begin with, but I've had better results filing it only a bit past halfway. Anyway, I haven't had this tank very long, so I might just not be fully used to its quirks.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I use the N2s and do not have these issuesl Some things to try if you have not already done so — close the air flow when filling with eliquid and add eliquid to the level shown in the graphic that came with the N2 even though it is tempting to add more. If you still have issues, when you thread the top cap back on tighten to just before the last one or two turns, tip the N2 upside down and turn to close to let the air out.

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
Some things to try if you have not already done so — close the air flow when filling with eliquid and add eliquid to the level shown in the graphic that came with the N2 even though it is tempting to add more. If you still have issues, when you thread the top cap back on tighten to just before the last one or two turns, tip the N2 upside down and turn to close to let the air out.

Thank you but have already researched and tried all that!

Just did everything again, complete strip down, clean, dry and rebuild. Half filled it only, holes closed, did the upside down thing. Put the top back, liquid everywhere again. Have now wasted a couple of hours and loads of the WTA liquid I got sent to the UK from the US. The whole house smells of eLiquid and I just smoked my first cigarette in three days I was so furious :-(

It's going back and I'm not getting another one!

I might just not be fully used to its quirks.

If one of its quirks is that we can only half fill an already small tank then that's too much of a quirk for me!

For something that's only been out for a short time there are rather a lot of threads elsewhere and on Reddit about this tank being a leaky mess.

I'm really gutted because flavour and vape-wise it's fabulous - coupled with my favourite WTA blend it was a very reliable way to ward off the need for a ciggie, but I've spent more time taking this thing apart, washing my hands and spitting hot liquid out my mouth than I have vaping with it.

Rant over...I think!

Any recommendations for an alternative? I have loads of CS Air tanks which are FAR more reliable but something with more flavour would be nice.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
If one of its quirks is that we can only half fill an already small tank then that's too much of a quirk for me!

I don't think I've had as much trouble with it as you have- I really like it when it works well, and that's almost all of the time for me. One thing I did forget to mention in my earlier post is that you should pretty much always tighten the airflow all the way when refilling the tank and after filling take at least a few draws from it with the airflow tightened all the way before opening it up. That seems to help, though I still get some gurgling and hot-spit sometimes at first. I don't get much leaking though.

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
I don't think I've had as much trouble with it as you have- I really like it when it works well, and that's almost all of the time for me. One thing I did forget to mention in my earlier post is that you should pretty much always tighten the airflow all the way when refilling the tank and after filling take at least a few draws from it with the airflow tightened all the way before opening it up. That seems to help, though I still get some gurgling and hot-spit sometimes at first. I don't get much leaking though.

Sorry to say I do that as well, always do when I fill any tank - starting to think mine is a faulty one - but judging from other threads I've seen it's not the only one.

I like it so much when it works I'm almost tempted to try a replacement but this one's left a nasty taste in the mouth (quite literally!)

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Sorry to say I do that as well, always do when I fill any tank - starting to think mine is a faulty one - but judging from other threads I've seen it's not the only one.

I like it so much when it works I'm almost tempted to try a replacement but this one's left a nasty taste in the mouth (quite literally!)

I think a lot of it is getting the atty tightened _just_ right (and then unfortunately losing it and have to tighten again when you refill.) I'd agree that there's a design flaw here, but... boy, all the way open it hits a sweet spot I'm looking for, basically a very restricted DTL (or direct to throat more than lung, really) hit, so I'm willing to overlook and try to work around its flaws.

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
So....got another one, brand new and sealed - filled and tightened and soaked as per every bit of online advice and all the instructions.

Gurgling and leaking. AGAIN.

Two thoughts:

1. On another forum I've seen a post from someone who has two - has no problem with a black one but has the same leak issues as me with a red one. Both of mine have been red - is there an issue with the red ones?

2. I've been using quite a thin liquid (80% McFlavors Red, which is propanediol (natural PG) and 20% Liquid Leaf WTA, which is mainly VG). Although the VG part is quite thick it's still pretty thin overall. Can it just not cope with this liquid? It's fine in other tanks.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I use the N2s and do not have these issuesl Some things to try if you have not already done so — close the air flow when filling with eliquid and add eliquid to the level shown in the graphic that came with the N2 even though it is tempting to add more. If you still have issues, when you thread the top cap back on tighten to just before the last one or two turns, tip the N2 upside down and turn to close to let the air out.
No issues with mine but what he said is right, the N2 does sometimes need turning upside down

Reactions: Dieseler

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I have four N2s — one in each color. In fact I just refilled my red one using a 50% PG /50% VG eliquid. I do not think it is the high PG. I use mostly 50% PG/50% VG with some 70% VG however I have one flavor that is 100% PG and no issues. I put in just a few drops to prime a new coil. The leaking could be caused possibly by defective o-rings. Since you are not over filling I am at a loss as to why it is gurgling. If your issues do not get resolved you might want to try the Aspire forum — aspirecig dot com.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you like the performance of the coils, there's always a Triton mini. Uses the same Nauti coils (Nauti, Nauti mini, Triton mini, not the full size Triton coils), has a jfc, top fill, and performs quite well. Doesn't look nearly as pretty as the Nauti 2, and is also limited to 2 ml, but is a reliable worker.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Maybe its time to try something different ?
Ego one megav2 tank with a clr coil they are easily rebuilt and work wonderful for me as i vape
96.5% Pg in diy formula.
Only time it may leak is briefly when temp change such as going from warm house to outside on winter day to let the dogs outside other than that it does not leak.

Follow this thread where you can read about the many users that vape with that tank setup.
eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread