have been reading for a few days..time to say hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepstuff

Jun 13, 2017
A few years ago i tried to quit smoking with some sort of e cig, possibly some sort of ego? anyways it didn't work for whatever reason. Last week i decided to give it another go, so went to a local vape shop, and purchased a kanger top tank mini starter kit and a few 10ml bottles of juice. In the last week i've gone from a pack a day down to about 3 or 4 a day and hope to be done with cigs within a day or so. Problem i'm having is i'm not getting much flavour from vaping. I'm using a .5ohm ss coil and set to 25watts....e-juice is 70vg ...getting enough cloud, just not much flavour. any suggestions? thank you.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Welcome to ecf!

I don't have the top tank from Kanger, so I can't say exactly.

You might try drinking while vaping, this can help flavor.. also, make sure your priming your coils well before firing..

But, as I don't have one I can't help you in a specific manner.. I'm sure someone else will come along with some better knowledge here.

Glad you've found vaping!

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
2 ideas.

1. If you were a long term heavy smoker, your senses of taste, and more importantly smell, are temporarily trashed. One day soon they will come roaring back to life and you will smell (and taste) things you had forgotten. On a side note, nothing smells like I remember from 1970 when I started smoking, and I want to know who fouled things up.

2. Higher vg liquids will not have as much flavor as liquid with more pg. You might try more pg, or more flavor shots.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
thanks for the replies...i've been a pad smoker for 20 ish years so i have no doubt my taste buds have some issues. I'm not giving up this time though so will try different flavours. Just not sure if it should be a subtle taste or a full on flavour explosion.

Before you start searching for the perfect flavor, give switching some time.. for one, in a couple weeks your going to get vapers tongue, and you won't be able to taste your juice. Once you get through that phase.. you will have your taste buds back and will be able to taste everything..

At that point, you can easily begin flavor chasing, i.e.: finding the vape with the perfect flavor.. that flavor is going to be in your tank and coils, rather than the mod your using..

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
As others stated, as you quit your body will start healing, expect possible side effect for the detoxing as your body can go in withdrawals from the other poisons, as more and more, it's being shown that the nicotine addiction part is not as crazy as they made it out to be.

That said, you should play a bit with your wattage, go up or down a few watts at a time, which if you can find your "sweet spot", the difference can be quite noticeable. Just be careful to not overdo it and end up with a dry hit/bunt wick.

These 0.5 Ω coils have an operating range of 15 watts to 60 watts. so I'd say to stick to a max of up to 40W (I always recommend staying at least 5 to 10W under the "max" rating of factory coils).

Note that these Kanger coils can be a bit problematic with too high VG, plus the fact that throat hit and flavour is going to be better with higher PG (as PG is the better flavour carrier).

And if you're read comments with people wetting themselves about "OMG FLAVOURZZZ" with new devices, they tend to exaggerate quite a bit (or really had crappy gear at first and finally got something decent) and might make you believe that something's wrong. It's true that some tanks and some liquids are better than others, but don't expect a level of "Warhead sour candy" type of extreme kick, just go with more of an average type of candy type of level.

Also note that many store liquids tend to have LOTS of sweeteners to try and push flavour in a fake fashion as like so many products do, as it's cheaper than using actual flavouring... plus all those sweeteners tend to gunk up coils rather quickly.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Not all e-liquid is either tasty (to your preference) or actually tastes of much at all (also sometimes down to preference).
Is the Kanger Toptank generally flavorsome? Not especially so, and some of the older coils are a little harsh i.m.o.
I'm sure you'll find something that works soon enough and well done on cutting back on the smoking! :)

We try not to talk about 'premium' liquids on here but sometimes premium is nothing of the sort. I've purchased (or been given) at least 150 bottles of tasteless junk that claimed to be premium.
Now... the standard reply is "oh, but it's all down to personal taste" but actually when a group of vapers at a vape convention can't taste anything other than the mildest hint of something - it's just bad juice made with cynical intentions.
... and who makes this cynical stuff? .. the big branded nasty e-cig companies (surprise :mad: ) not the niche juice companies.

jeepstuff

Jun 13, 2017
thanks for all the great suggestions and feedback. I'll give it some time and try some different flavours and brands of juice. I'll just use what i have for now while my taste buds and body heal from the years of smoking. reading on the forums helps keep my mind busy and off smokes. One more beginner question, does more wattage mean more heat in the vape? thanks everyone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
One of my biggest mistakes was stocking up on the first flavor I liked. (like 20 bottles stocked-up) One month later, I hated it.
:rolleyes: I did the exact same thing. :oops: I stocked up with about 120ml of a very popular flavor which had become an All Day Vape for me. After about a week of this stockpiling, I suddenly couldn't stand it. All of that particular flavor sat unused for about 6 months, and I found out that one of my ECF friends here liked it very much. We made a deal. I sent her the unwanted flavor, and she completed a gift ticket to my favorite eliquid manufacturer. She got some well-steeped juice, and I got to try some new favorites.

@jeepstuff, I quit smoking much like the process that you are going through. I smoked a pack-a-day for over 30 years. Over the years, I tried to quit with the nicotine patch/gum/lozenges, but was always unsuccessful. One day while buying a pack of smokes at the convenience store, I saw my first disposable e-cigarette on the display case and decided to give it a whirl. Wasn't that great, but I did see a lot of potential to help me quit.

I did a lot of research online, and found this excellent website to gain advice and knowledge. I picked out a well-thought-out vaping setup. I picked a week to quit. I vaped as much as I wanted/needed to, and allowed myself a few cigarettes a day when I got a serious craving. When I did smoke, I only smoked half of it, and saved the rest for the next craving. Those second half cigs tasted really bad (like an ashtray), but that helped me quit. During the week, I found that I was not as dependent upon the cigarettes, and was beginning to dislike them in favor of my vape. Granted, I was DETERMINED TO QUIT this time. When my last pack was finished, so was my cigarette habit. I haven't had a real cig in 7 years and haven't missed them a bit.

Since you are relatively new, I suggest that you click the link below for my blog:

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
A few years ago i tried to quit smoking with some sort of e cig, possibly some sort of ego? anyways it didn't work for whatever reason. Last week i decided to give it another go, so went to a local vape shop, and purchased a kanger top tank mini starter kit and a few 10ml bottles of juice. In the last week i've gone from a pack a day down to about 3 or 4 a day and hope to be done with cigs within a day or so. Problem i'm having is i'm not getting much flavour from vaping. I'm using a .5ohm ss coil and set to 25watts....e-juice is 70vg ...getting enough cloud, just not much flavour. any suggestions? thank you.

Have you used that juice before? One of the vape shops here sells juice that doesn't have much flavor to me. So you might try some juice from a different vendor if you haven't purchased from this one before. Also, this may not be your thing but if I get a juice that's light on flavor I exhale through my nose and I seem to get the taste better so that might be worth considering. Or if exhaling through the nose isn't your thing hold it at the back of your mouth a bit before exhaling. I have never used that model so I have no idea how it might affect juice flavor but that can sometimes be a factor also.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
One of my biggest mistakes was stocking up on the first flavor I liked. (like 20 bottles stocked-up) One month later, I hated it.

I bought a fairly expensive tobacco-style liquid in October 2013 that I thought was great.
I never bought it again after I committed to boycotting Liberty Flights (Yes, that's Liberty Flights) for all eternity.
Last week, I sampled an 'old school' liquid from Flavorart. Guess what?.... same taste.... exactly.

So, 4 years later, I can mix it myself for 16% of the price of Liberty Flights.
Bad luck Liberty Flights. Looks like the only juice you made worth vaping was just 8% FA. :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. You have not found the right settings for your equipment, provided a little help.
Might like to read:
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Tonee N

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
They need to change your "title" from vaping master to "link master".. hehehe... where do you keep all of those links so organized...?
Ancient secret.[emoji1] If he told you then...well.....you know. Lol

Where do you keep the link to your blog and rewicking guide?[emoji6]

Sent from tomorrow

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Reactions: BrotherBob

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
They need to change your "title" from vaping master to "link master".. hehehe... where do you keep all of those links so organized...?

He does such a good job with those links I hesitate to ever include one in my replies.

Hi Jeepstuff & welcome

upload_2017-6-14_10-31-58.jpeg
to what Imafallenangel said about trying a lower power setting. I will often tweak my power setting up or down to affect the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread