Hello! And some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmusich

Sep 21, 2017
Orlando
did some vaping a couple of years ago an am looking at getting back into it. I used the pen style then but wanting to get a mod box and rda this time and do my own builds. I might start out doing just a single coil at first and then try to go to a dual coil. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. PS right now I am looking at a pulse 24 and a ipower kit 80w.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are some good options. If you were using MTL before I might keep your old setup handy just in case you find an RTA too airy for you (you don't have to, many of them are made so that with the right build, you can minimize vapor a bit.)

However, I'm not clear on what exactly you want-- are you actually searching out a DL setup, because you'd like to try that? If so the recs you might get would be somewhat different than if you're looking for something less cloudy, so it would help to know what you are aiming for. Which you can absolutely get with an RDA, it's just a matter of isolating the right one.... If you want high wattage and clouds, you may do better with a removable battery setup, as an 80 watt device may not last you all day, depending on your build...

Anna

Tmusich

Sep 21, 2017
Orlando
Realitively new to the RDA and box, not looking to do massive cloud, but really was put off on the pen style, MTL? Haven't learned all abbreviations. Not looking for high wattage maybe 40-60 range. Not sure how to explain it. Just looking at getting a start then as I use it and learn more can go from there

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sure you will learn more as you go. RTAs can be a great choice, though I have found I prefer taking a tank with drop in coils out of the house, as I'm far from a master wicker as yet. Some folks just jump in with both feet and do great, but I would not want to be dealing with wicking issues and whatnot.

If you want an inexpensive, easy option to start, that is moderately airy but also comes with an airflow reducer (and I *think* there are two different clones, one with more airflow, and one geared more to MTL), but the main thing is the build deck is relatively large, it's a two post deck, and it's a great vape with some versatility and you CAN get a fairly large tank to go on top. It's not a phenomenal leaker (keep in mind, in my world, that just means it doesn't dump a tank of juice all over my mod, LOL)

Here's a thread on it: Hussar RTA single coil deck (attack of the clones)

As a new coilbulder who started out with a really complicated build, I was most appreciative of the Hussar, and the build quality is really great for a clone, very well built, came with almost no machining oil, etc. I was able to get mine up and running relatively easily (keep in mind, still for *me*) it might be a nice place to begin if you want a simple RTA option. I find the flavor to be excellent, but I lean more to MTL or airy MTL at best, but with the airflow wide open and a different build, you'd have a different experience. With that said, I haven't built on a HUGE number of RTAs, you may find some other recommendations suit you better....

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Realitively new to the RDA and box, not looking to do massive cloud, but really was put off on the pen style, MTL? Haven't learned all abbreviations. Not looking for high wattage maybe 40-60 range. Not sure how to explain it. Just looking at getting a start then as I use it and learn more can go from there
Mtl = mouth to lung,that's what you do when you smoke a cigarette and probably how you'd use a pen style vaping device

Dtl = direct lung inhales, that's mostly for bigger setups called sub 0hm which is when the resistance of your coils are less than 1 0hm, there's a million ways to describe it but the way i do is when you're drinking through a straw you directly inhale the vapor into your lungs in this case.

an rda would probably not suit you as those are drippers and mostly for cloud chasers
I'd go with @stols001 suggestions as she knows more about mtl devices than i do.
I'd recommend an rta over an rdta though but that's just me.

Rba = rebuildable base atomiser
Rta = rebuildable tank atomiser
Rdta = rebuildable dripping tank atomiser
rda = rebuildable dripping atomiser
Don't worry about all the jargon and terms you usually learn those as you go :)

Tmusich

Sep 21, 2017
Orlando
Mtl = mouth to lung,that's what you do when you smoke a cigarette and probably how you'd use a pen style vaping device

Dtl = direct lung inhales, that's mostly for bigger setups called sub 0hm which is when the resistance of your coils are less than 1 0hm, there's a million ways to describe it but the way i do is when you're drinking through a straw you directly inhale the vapor into your lungs in this case.

an rda would probably not suit you as those are drippers and mostly for cloud chasers
I'd go with @stols001 suggestions as she knows more about mtl devices than i do.
I'd recommend an rta over an rdta though but that's just me.

Rba = rebuildable base atomiser
Rta = rebuildable tank atomiser
Rdta = rebuildable dripping tank atomiser
rda = rebuildable dripping atomiser
Don't worry about all the jargon and terms you usually learn those as you go :)
Thanks

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If I had it to do over again... I would buy Smoant Battlestar, reliable dual 18650, easy to operate, options available to explore as my curiosity increased. OBS Engine Nano RTA, top air flow (no leaks), easy learning curve to coil/wick, 4.5ml capacity. You will need a battery charger, 2 18650 batteries; I would recommend buying 4 batteries so you have 2 married pairs ( I use Samsung 30q from Liion Wholesale). This would have worked for me. What will work for you is for you to decide. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, most decks separate from the tanks for building purposes, then you assemble them, and hopefully it's not a disaster. And an RTA, RDA or RDTA is going to be purchased separately from the mod, whatever you end up going with, yes. Depending on what wattage you want to run it at, and what type of coil resistance you end up using, you may do fine with an internal battery. If you wind up going for more wattage or lower resistance builds because you like them, you might find that you fare better with a mod with removable, rechargeable batteries, as you can carry spare batteries if you end up needing more power. It does require an investment in a battery charger, some good batteries (you can check out Mooch's blog for recommendations, if you decide you are interested, he is ECF's resident battery expert-- make sure you don't purchase fakes, or rewraps, and even vape shops are known to rewrap, so you want to go with one of his listed reputable battery suppliers.)

Also, if you are going to build, you may or may not want to invest in a Coilbuilders kit which will contain every tool you need for building coils. You can get one fairly inexpensively on Amazon, though not everyone finds that necessary if they have tools to hand and some experience with wire, electronics, etc. I found mine helpful, though I tend to be non-mechanically minded. Steam Engine | free vaping calculators will help you figure out different wire options, coil options, and how to calculate your build so that it falls within your desired resistance level, but an ohms reader (comes with the coilmaster kit) can be useful to check the resistance, anneal the wire, and (for me) is also a nice, stable base to build on and wick on (you attach the build deck, I do that, without a battery) as it's easier to screw the coil onto the deck than if I'm holding it in my hands. You'll probably want to figure out what wire you might like to use, and buy some of that (though the coilbuilding kit comes with a bit of cotton and wire) as well as more wicking material (can be cotton, there are other options).

I think you are going to want to check out (and maybe post in) these forums: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

A lot of the pinned threads will give you more information, and a starting point, and you can "check out" some of the more popular atomizers to see which one might give you the best result.

If you do buy an internal battery now, that's completely fine, to get you started and if later you want a more powerful mod, and one that maybe does TC well, you do have some good options for a mod that will give you the option to use removable batteries, etc.

Good luck!

Anna

Anna

Tmusich

Sep 21, 2017
Orlando
Well, most decks separate from the tanks for building purposes, then you assemble them, and hopefully it's not a disaster. And an RTA, RDA or RDTA is going to be purchased separately from the mod, whatever you end up going with, yes. Depending on what wattage you want to run it at, and what type of coil resistance you end up using, you may do fine with an internal battery. If you wind up going for more wattage or lower resistance builds because you like them, you might find that you fare better with a mod with removable, rechargeable batteries, as you can carry spare batteries if you end up needing more power. It does require an investment in a battery charger, some good batteries (you can check out Mooch's blog for recommendations, if you decide you are interested, he is ECF's resident battery expert-- make sure you don't purchase fakes, or rewraps, and even vape shops are known to rewrap, so you want to go with one of his listed reputable battery suppliers.)

Also, if you are going to build, you may or may not want to invest in a Coilbuilders kit which will contain every tool you need for building coils. You can get one fairly inexpensively on Amazon, though not everyone finds that necessary if they have tools to hand and some experience with wire, electronics, etc. I found mine helpful, though I tend to be non-mechanically minded. Steam Engine | free vaping calculators will help you figure out different wire options, coil options, and how to calculate your build so that it falls within your desired resistance level, but an ohms reader (comes with the coilmaster kit) can be useful to check the resistance, anneal the wire, and (for me) is also a nice, stable base to build on and wick on (you attach the build deck, I do that, without a battery) as it's easier to screw the coil onto the deck than if I'm holding it in my hands. You'll probably want to figure out what wire you might like to use, and buy some of that (though the coilbuilding kit comes with a bit of cotton and wire) as well as more wicking material (can be cotton, there are other options).

I think you are going to want to check out (and maybe post in) these forums: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

A lot of the pinned threads will give you more information, and a starting point, and you can "check out" some of the more popular atomizers to see which one might give you the best result.

If you do buy an internal battery now, that's completely fine, to get you started and if later you want a more powerful mod, and one that maybe does TC well, you do have some good options for a mod that will give you the option to use removable batteries, etc.

Good luck!

Anna

Anna
Thanks Anna, might just get a mod that can go high or low on the wattage, the kit will be a definite, I like playing around with stuff like this, kind of why I am going in this direction, will be looking at getting a box with replacable batteries. Battle star doesn't look to bad a little bulky. Will check out the other info threads

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. You sound like you have a plan.
Try the ECF search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "What is MTL and DL?".
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip – A Dripping Primer
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
I Love my RDA
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread