Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@RdaNoob

Entering your coil into Steam Engine tells me they are 550mg of mass per coil. So 1100 for dual.

The The 4x 30awg by 40awg Ni80 I mentioned 6 wraps around a 3mm ID yields a wider coil, if you are looking to increase surface area, but only 180mg per coil.

Not trying to offend you, just helping out. A new RDA or even changing coil placement within your Drop Dead is not going to correct your problem and it certainly will not improve your vape.

Reactions: greek mule

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Thank you so much, i have increased my knowledge a ton in the last 48 hours hence why i havent posted much,

So i built another set up and immediately got closer to the vape im looking for!
Exact same wire, now a 5 wrap parrallel coming in at .11 and .12 ohms, unsure why its changing ohms maybe something to do with my spacing quality (better then my first home made set i posted first in this thread)

Im really enjoying this .11 build however i think im ready to drop ohms even more now i have an idea pf what kind of coil its going to take, may be for a 2.5mm and 3mm 6-7 wrap parrallel to got closer to .5 ohms, i desire a faster ramp

Going to order some high drain 18650’s probably sony’s and i might look into going to a series mech mod(vaperz cloud piglet) as i get more serious.. i really want to eliminate this whole second or more ramp i get at .11 ohms on my aegis legend (i do use vpc to blast 140w for 1 second to try and force ramp times up)

Am i moving to fast?
I built my first coil this week...
On fresh batteries here is what that .11 build would do in a series mod.
Screenshot_20190321-200920_Firefox.jpg

Bad idea. On regulated mods resistance doesn't matter that much. For clouds and fast ramp time I like 4×30/40 FC. It is flat and wide and relatively low mass for a wire with a lot of surface area. I don't know why but it seems all the alien coils I have used had the worst ramp times of any fused wire.

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
@RdaNoob – correct me if I am wrong, but you have parallel 24awg Ni80 x 34awg K1 Clapton wrapped 5 times with dual coils? If this is correct, your 2 coils probably have more mass than all the steel wire used in the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge. No wonder you have a long ramp up time.

If you enjoy Lightning Vape pre-made Clapton wire, have a look at their 4x 30awg by 40awg Ni80 fused Clapton. The width is 40+% wider than the Clapton wire you are using and 3x less mass. A 6 to 7 wrap per coil is all you need and would only require about 60 to 70 watts to run efficiently for a dual coil atomizer – meaning little to no ramp up. 7 wraps around a 3mm ID should yield around 0.6(ish) ohms per coil, so 0.3 ohms for dual.

Lol! Very well put and no correction needed

This definately seems like a better wire for my goals.

I would like to add in the fact that i am very new open to a different wire entirely as well. I do not have much to compare my wire with besides the premade medium aliens i started with as stated at the start of this thread, they also ramped slow.

My coils (once i heat all the metal in the golden gate bridge) do provide the vape i am looking for, if that provides any insight.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Lol! Very well put and no correction needed

This definately seems like a better wire for my goals.

I would like to add in the fact that i am very new open to a different wire entirely as well. I do not have much to compare my wire with besides the premade medium aliens i started with as stated at the start of this thread, they also ramped slow.

My coils (once i heat all the metal in the golden gate bridge) do provide the vape i am looking for, if that provides any insight.

They provide a good vape once that coil reaches the preferred temperature. How consistent is it? More mass requires more power to mitigate ramp up. But the mass also retains heat which requires more time to cool down. It also transfers heat to the surrounding air within your atomizer and on to the atomizer itself. All of this contributes to not only the quality but also the consistency of the vape. Not to mention higher power drains your batteries faster. Which if you are running at 140 watts you need to ensure you batteries can handle that. What batteries are you using (if mentioned, I did not see)

Reducing mass reduces much of the problems mention. The coil will ramp up instantly, therefore produce vapor more quickly. Once you stop firing, the coil will cool to room temp more quickly giving you a more consistent vape. All of this at a lower wattage.

The wire I mentioned employs multiple smaller cores (higher gauge) vs a larger, fatter core. This not only reduces mass, but also allows the multiple smaller cores to be positioned in a fashion so that the wire capitalizes on surface area which is beneficial. It also employs a very high gauge wrap (40awg). The wrap should contribute as little as possible to the overall mass of the coil.

There is a lot of wire out there that looks great on the surface, but functions poorly due to its high mass. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is a poor choice, but we may have to be selective on how we apply it. Although still high mass that can be improved upon, your wire would be better suited for a smaller, single coil operation.

Are you familiar with Steam Engine? It is a virtual online coil builder that allows us to model these coils giving us a gauge as to how they may perform. Also has a Ohms calculator, battery drain guide and a e-juice calculator should you wish to mix your own. Very handy tool! Check it out if you haven’t already and if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Reactions: greek mule

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
And to add, resistance of the coil has little bearing on what I (and others) have mentioned with a regulated device. Your Pulse 80 or GV Legend doesn’t care if it is a 0.11ohm coil or a 0.8ohm coil, all it is doing is applying the power that you prescribed to that coil(s). Grant it, hitting the extreme lows or extreme highs in resistance can have adverse effects in terms of voltage and or current limitations, but we’ll save that for another conversation.

Resistance on a mechanical device is extremely important. As @Skunk! displayed, your coils would draw 76+amps from the batteries at 8.4 volts…..not the safest option.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thank you so much, i have increased my knowledge a ton in the last 48 hours hence why i havent posted much,

So i built another set up and immediately got closer to the vape im looking for!
Exact same wire, now a 5 wrap parrallel coming in at .11 and .12 ohms, unsure why its changing ohms maybe something to do with my spacing quality (better then my first home made set i posted first in this thread)

The difference between .11 and .12 ohms is 0.01 - well within the margin of error of any of the ohmmeters vapers generally use.

Im really enjoying this .11 build however i think im ready to drop ohms even more now i have an idea pf what kind of coil its going to take, may be for a 2.5mm and 3mm 6-7 wrap parrallel to got closer to .5 ohms, i desire a faster ramp

Why do you want to lower the resistance? If it's just to get a quicker ramp, then lowering the metal mass as others have mentioned is the best way to do it. Is there anything else you're looking for? .11 ohms is already a very low resistance, so I wouldn't recommend going lower. There's probably a way of changing the build to get what you want without lowering resistance.

Going to order some high drain 18650’s probably sony’s and i might look into going to a series mech mod(vaperz cloud piglet) as i get more serious.. i really want to eliminate this whole second or more ramp i get at .11 ohms on my aegis legend (i do use vpc to blast 140w for 1 second to try and force ramp times up)

0.11 on a single battery mech would draw 38 amps, and there aren't any 18650s that can provide that safely. As Skunk! noted, it's no better with a series mech. I'd definitely recommend getting a thorough understanding of ohms law and electrical theory before you start seriously considering a mech.

It's also worth considering the battery demands of regulated mods. 140w on your Aegis Legend is only within CDR if you're using 25A (or higher) batteries.

Am i moving to fast?

Yup.:) Take some time to consolidate what you're learning. There are a lot of ways to tweak or change a build to get the vape you want. It's not a case of lower resistances = better, or even lower = more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread