First build! Looking for advice/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys new here (MOVE POST IF NEEDED)
Looking for building/coil placement advice and also rda suggestions

First premade build; dual .22ohm medium alien premade, 5 wrap (no complaints either then a slow ramp on my squank mod (pulse 80w) but it ramps faster on my geekvape legend mod

New build : First build... roast it (looking for advice)
7 wrap 3mm my mod read the resistance at 3.1 but after i wicked it she went to 2.7(not sure why)

First time making my own coils off a spool, roast it, but explain why lol! Looking for advice,

My mods:
geekvape legend dual 18650

Vandyvape pulse bf 80w squank
My rda’s:

Drop Dead RDA
Profile rda

Reactions: SP013

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
What wire did you use for the coil you built (type of wire and gauge)? It's a good idea to use a calculator like Steam Engine to plan a build. You enter your wire, gauge, ID and target resistance, and it'll tell you how many wraps you need. If there's a big difference between what Steam Engine says your resistance should be and what it's measured at, then don't fire it because something's gone wrong.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome Rdanoob :) I'm not quite sure that i'm understanding the question as regards a couple of things..
1) What are you looking for in the build...quick ramp up time/flavour/clouds or all three?
2) What's actually going wrong for you?

The fluctuation in resistance is within normal ranges. When you make your own the leg length can vary and the tightness of wraps etc so a coil may not come out like your calculator says it will. Also resistance will often change as you dry burn it to settle the coil in and get rid of any hotspots etc.

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
Welcome Rdanoob :) I'm not quite sure that i'm understanding the question as regards a couple of things..
1) What are you looking for in the build...quick ramp up time/flavour/clouds or all three?
2) What's actually going wrong for you?

The fluctuation in resistance is within normal ranges. When you make your own the leg length can vary and the tightness of wraps etc so a coil may not come out like your calculator says it will. Also resistance will often change as you dry burn it to settle the coil in and get rid of any hotspots etc.

Hello! To answer both questions at once, i cant say there is anything wrong or that im having problems, just looking for ways to improve, im looking for in order of priority: ramp then cloud, then flavour.. the medium alien coil i mentioned in the original post was quite a nice tempature for my likings, ill try and make some posts after work without spamming so i can link my imgur pictures... im not 100% my placement is perfect, also i think i want to get to a lower resistance, maybe try a parrallel to lower resistance, not entirely sure.

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
What wire did you use for the coil you built (type of wire and gauge)? It's a good idea to use a calculator like Steam Engine to plan a build. You enter your wire, gauge, ID and target resistance, and it'll tell you how many wraps you need. If there's a big difference between what Steam Engine says your resistance should be and what it's measured at, then don't fire it because something's gone wrong.

Clapton 34ka1 24n80 7 wraps
Wire by lightening vape

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
Hello! To answer both questions at once, i cant say there is anything wrong or that im having problems, just looking for ways to improve, im looking for in order of priority: ramp then cloud, then flavour.. the medium alien coil i mentioned in the original post was quite a nice tempature for my likings, ill try and make some posts after work without spamming so i can link my imgur pictures... im not 100% my placement is perfect, also i think i want to get to a lower resistance, maybe try a parrallel to lower resistance, not entirely sure.

Sorry also yes i did take my time working out my hotspots but the coils arent quite as tight as the premade aliens i started with...

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Sorry also yes i did take my time working out my hotspots but the coils arent quite as tight as the premade aliens i started with...

For fast ramp up you need a coil with a low mass to surface area. For flavour/clouds you need a decent amount of surface area. The problem arises when you are increasing the surface area it will lead to your mass going up too and if it goes too high you have a slow ramp up time which is undesirable imo.

The clapton wire you've just made the coils from should work pretty well. Ostensibly it's just the central core wire/wires that heat up and then the heat is transferred to the outer wrap/wraps which are providing the surface area. Your current coil will ramp up fairly quickly whilst also having a fairly large surface area for clouds and flavour.

To be honest the exotic coils whilst giving great flavour often do so at the expense of ramp up time. This can be partially compensated for by increasing the wattage but you also increase the heat this way too. Often a simple tensioned parallel coil will give a surprisingly good flavour whilst having an instant ramp.

The tension is important because the more uniform the coil then the better it will work. It's especially important when running a dual coil setup because you want to have both coils absolutely identical for best results. @MacTechVpr knows a lot more than me about this subject and i'm sure he and others will chip in when they come on line :)

I hope this helps and here is some reading for you....

Coil Builds

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.

Good luck and happy vaping :D

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Sorry guys no links yet, i have pictures....
The new coil build is:
Clapton 34ka1 24n80 7 wraps
2.7 resistance
Welcome and glad you joined.
Glad too see you started out in standard ohms, you picked a resistance that will allow you to grow (If you must). Most noobs make the mistake of going sub and run into to a ton of problems.
The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly - Vaping360
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
Thank you so much, i have increased my knowledge a ton in the last 48 hours hence why i havent posted much,

So i built another set up and immediately got closer to the vape im looking for!
Exact same wire, now a 5 wrap parrallel coming in at .11 and .12 ohms, unsure why its changing ohms maybe something to do with my spacing quality (better then my first home made set i posted first in this thread)

Im really enjoying this .11 build however i think im ready to drop ohms even more now i have an idea pf what kind of coil its going to take, may be for a 2.5mm and 3mm 6-7 wrap parrallel to got closer to .5 ohms, i desire a faster ramp

Going to order some high drain 18650’s probably sony’s and i might look into going to a series mech mod(vaperz cloud piglet) as i get more serious.. i really want to eliminate this whole second or more ramp i get at .11 ohms on my aegis legend (i do use vpc to blast 140w for 1 second to try and force ramp times up)

Am i moving to fast?
I built my first coil this week...

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
7B7965CA-D93B-4AB1-BB10-9893E5092355.jpeg
F10565A8-2467-4065-ACF2-0BA3266E70A7.jpeg

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Im really enjoying this .11 build however i think im ready to drop ohms even more now i have an idea pf what kind of coil its going to take, may be for a 2.5mm and 3mm 6-7 wrap parrallel to got closer to .5 ohms, i desire a faster ramp

At regulated devices resistance's value has nothing to do with ramp time.Mass of coil/coils does.
I don't suggest your vaping journey with mechs to begin with a series mech.You must take small steps for your safety.

Do you know about battery safety,Ohm's Law?

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
Yes, that has very much been my focus as soon as i started building.

Im aiming for the lower resistance for battery safety reasons, im willing to buy some very good continuous apmerage 18650’s according to steam engine i am confident in safety... however buidling the coils that will ohm where i want it will be the challange, i can read my ohms off my regulated mod easily enough.

I also do understand that series mechs volt higher then parrallel, i have input this information into steam engine and found a few resistance ratings rangin. 3.5-5 that amp under 20A continous

What would one suggest i do in terms of increasing ramp?

I could very well be wrong in assuming i need to go mech to get the ramp i desire, i would be quite happy if i could get the right build for my Regulated legend with minimal ramp, but still able to use “Big ole coils’ and have a nice medium/warm vape with flavour,

(i have a profile rda mesh set up for flavour but the vape isnt strong enough for my personal liking even though it tastes as i just drank the juice) its apparent im not a flavour chaser.

RdaNoob

Mar 19, 2019
And another note:the coils into the drop dead are very wide,probably they exceed the width of airflow slots.
You are going to get a very hot vape due to inadequate airflow and great mass.

Ive actually been planning to make a thread about rda’s that suit my needs, there is so many options im really not sure, i do think i need alot more airflow?

Is there something you would could sugguest with the information given?
I plan to do some research on some higher airflow atty’s that could accommodate bigger builds...

I will admit i bought the drop dead off impulse, i feel that the downward angled airflow may not be ideal for the kind of coils i want to build?

Im truely unsure.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@RdaNoob – correct me if I am wrong, but you have parallel 24awg Ni80 x 34awg K1 Clapton wrapped 5 times with dual coils? If this is correct, your 2 coils probably have more mass than all the steel wire used in the San Francisco Golden Gate bridge. No wonder you have a long ramp up time.

If you enjoy Lightning Vape pre-made Clapton wire, have a look at their 4x 30awg by 40awg Ni80 fused Clapton. The width is 40+% wider than the Clapton wire you are using and 3x less mass. A 6 to 7 wrap per coil is all you need and would only require about 60 to 70 watts to run efficiently for a dual coil atomizer – meaning little to no ramp up. 7 wraps around a 3mm ID should yield around 0.6(ish) ohms per coil, so 0.3 ohms for dual.

• Agree
Reactions: greek mule
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread